State Criminal Investigator Jobs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State Criminal Investigator Jobs

Does anybody have information on Entry Level State Criminal Investigator jobs? Obviously, there are many entry level opportunities at the Federal Level, but I have never seen a State opportunity.

FDLE hires occasionally if you are already certified and have a BA then you can get on with them with limited experience. As of right now, there are so many looking that its tough to get on without any prior time because of the competition. A lot like the federal level...

Comment

Usually, state CID agents come from other state agencies from my experience. Here, in Arkansas, ASP CID agents were almost always highway troopers. A few have been hired straight into that, but I suspect that involves a lot of politics.

Comment

Take a Look At California

California has them all the time, however, with our budget crisis vacancies are becoming less frequent. They range from Special Agent positions with the Department of Justice, to Investigator Slots with the Fraud Bureau of the Department of Insurance, or Alcoholic Beverage Control, Department of Consumer Affairs, Medical Quality Insurance Board, Horse Racing Board, Department of Corporations,.the list goes on and on.

Minimum requirements for each position will vary from agency to agency. You just have to check as the positions come available.

http://jobs.ca.gov/CASPB/sup/images/...Type=&Search=Y
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I read that Jerry Brown is trying to lay off something like over 170 California Department of Justice special agents and this is happening right now. He's claiming it's due to budget reasons but as former Attorney General for California it's probably a lot of politics. Plus it is supposed to help a $71 billion dollar deficit or something and laying off those agents isn't even going to make a dent in that.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...block-layoffs/

So basically I wouldn't hold your breath for a state investigator job with the economic environment and most states having deficits, especially if you're in California or any state with budget cuts because not only will hiring most likely be frozen for positions like this, but in the case of my state, investigators are being laid off in the hundreds.
          Last edited by Wolf Man; 12-26-2011, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Varies. For example, in AL and VA state special agents are state troopers who get assigned to an investigative position (i.e. the only way to become one is to be a trooper first). On the other hand, in GA and FL there are separate agencies for highway patrol (GA= GSP, FL= FHP) and investigations (GA= GBI, FL= FDLE).

State investigative jobs can be hard to acquire, even for experienced folks. Last year I applied to one with 4 years experience as a federal agent/1811 doing fraud (the state job was for a fraud agent) and came in at #5 for a vacancy for 1 position.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf Man View Post
              I read that Jerry Brown is trying to lay off something like over 170 California Department of Justice special agents and this is happening right now. He's claiming it's due to budget reasons but as former Attorney General for California it's probably a lot of politics. Plus it is supposed to help a $71 billion dollar deficit or something and laying off those agents isn't even going to make a dent in that.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...block-layoffs/

So basically I wouldn't hold your breath for a state investigator job with the economic environment and most states having deficits, especially if you're in California or any state with budget cuts because not only will hiring most likely be frozen for positions like this, but in the case of my state, investigators are being laid off in the hundreds.
              If you go to the link I listed you will see that the DOJ Special Agent test has been closed for some time. However, there is continuous testing for other state investigator positions with

State Personnel Board/Statewide
              Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control
              Department of Corporations
              Employment Development Department
              Department of Consumer Affairs
              Department of Health Care Services
              Department of Insurance
              Department of Social Services
              Department of Motor Vehicles
              Department of Developmental Services
              Department of Toxic Substances Control
              California State Lottery
              Department of Fair Employment & Housing
              Dept of Mental Health
              Public Employees Retirement System
              Department of Public Health.

Now, how many vacancies they have at present or anticipate having in the future is another question, but they say they are testing. Look here for further info.

http://jobs.ca.gov/CASPB/sup/BulPrev...08610&R3=1PB02
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Like others have stated, most state investigator positions are within a State Police/Highway patrol agency. In other words you have to be a Trooper first put some time in on the road, then request a transfer when there is an opening in order to become an investigator. At my agency you’re required to complete a minimum of 3 years of road duty before you can request a transfer to the criminal or narcotics investigation divisions.

There are some States that have separate bureaus of investigation from their SP/HP. My best advice would be to find a State you would be interested in working and living in, then find out if they have a separate state investigative agency or not.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10082 users online. 373 members and 9709 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                X