Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it realistically possible to be in the Guard and be an 1811?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it realistically possible to be in the Guard and be an 1811?

Does anyone know anybody or have personal experience in being a full-time 1811 or police officer while also being in the reserves/national guard?

I'm in a dilemma right now because I want to commission as an officer through the ROTC program but I also want to pursue a career in Homeland Security ASAP after I graduate. Is it better for me to do my 4 years of active duty then come home or to stay in the Guard, work a civilian job, and try to apply for an 1811 position?

I feel like if I stay in the Guard I won't be able to put my full time into law enforcement, especially the federal type seeing as how I would have to train for months and my Guard training schedule would definitely conflict with that. In addition if I apply for several federal agencies and they move me really far away from my state then I'm screwed.

At the same time I don't want to commission to active duty, in which I pretty much have no choice into which officer branch I commission into, and end up hating it and be stuck there for 4 years just so I can get out sooner and apply for the job I REALLY want. I wouldn't mind going active but if I stay in the Guard not only do I get to stay in my area, I also get more options to which branch I commission into.

Plus I've heard of people who have managed to do both, fulfill their monthly/yearly Guard requirements and also work for whichever federal agency. Does anyone have firsthand experience or know people who are Guardsmen/Reservists but also 1811's? Exactly how accommodating are their units and the agencies respectively, to people who try and balance both? Is it realistic?

Kinda experience I have, when I was in Afghanistan I worked as a contractor for a three letter agency as their QRF and they where all 1811s and one of them was a reserve SEAL whose unit was also deployed in our AOR. He basically did weekends with his unit, then worked during the week. It was really interesting how it worked out. If a SEAL can do it as a 1811 deployed with his agency you'll have no issues. Commanders are usually very understanding of your career.

Comment

Yes.

M-11
      “All men dream...... But not equally..
      Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
      but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
      for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Yes, we have an O-4 who is also an 1811
        USPIS 2011
        US OPM 2009-2011
        US CBP 2007-2009
        USANG 2006
        USMC 2002-2006
        H&S Co, MCSFBn NOB Norfolk 2003-2006
        MWSG17, 1st MAW Okainawa 2002-2003

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf Man View Post
          In addition if I apply for several federal agencies and they move me really far away from my state then I'm screwed.
          How are you screwed? Get in a unit near to where you move. Army National Guard units are everywhere.

Not only do you get released from your civilian job on drill weekend, if you are scheduled to work, FEDGOV pays you.

I was in the Patrol with a reservist. He had no real issues. Also, I was in the Marine Corps Reserve with an 1811.
          Gek.

Comment

Yes.

The Guard will not effect your 1811 career, nor will your 1811 job effect your career in the Guard.

Comment

As a caveat, google the term " emergency essential"

M-11
              “All men dream...... But not equally..
              Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
              but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
              for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

You can do it, but it may be a lot harder when you're just starting out, what with travel and training, missing drills, etc.

I was in the USMCR in the early 90's when I started my LE career and I ended up getting out because of missed drills and not having enough time to do what I needed to do to stay current.

However, units and service branches are a lot more forgiving as far as rescheduling drills these days than they were back then. When I was commissioned in the Navy Reserve in 2005, there was no problem at all balancing the civilian work and the military work.

If possible, I would try to complete that heavy initial training/time commitment for one before you start on the other.
                "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margaret's not coming?"

Comment

Thousands and thousands of cops do it.
                  For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

Very possible, I know at least three of my buddies who do it. 1 is FBI, USMS, and OIG. One is a reserve OSI agent, the other a reserve PJ, and one Civil Affairs, so they balance it quite well. All of them wouldn't leave they enjoy it so much.
                    ...and is commended as being worthy of trust and confidence

Comment

i had 8 years and got out. Ill be going back in shortly as i miss it and two retirements will be nice

Comment

There is actually one question that I have not been able to get answered in regards to Guard/FED LE.

What happens if you are scheduled for a class date, or are at FLETC, and you come on orders for a deployment? Do just immediately get a class date when you get back? Are you officially "Hired" the moment you get "the call" and accept the job, then are protected by the Soldier/Sailor Relief act?

Obviously, once you are a certified Law Enforcement Special Agent, there are no issues, but what happens before that?

Comment

Originally posted by M-11 View Post
                          As a caveat, google the term " emergency essential"

M-11

Bingo. If the job is listed as EE, you can't be in the Guard/Reserve.... Have to check the annoucement when applying for not only 1811 jobs but all Federal jobs.....

Comment

Its definitely possible, but at the same time it can be difficult.
                            I work for DHS and also a CPT in the Guard. DHS is my bread winner, but there are times both jobs conflict with each other. For example, your boss will respect the fact that you are in the reserves/guard, but unless he is also a reservist, he wont understand the required extra commitment. Unfortunately as an officer you cannot just show up for drill, it takes some prior planning and preparation. That where they both conflict, so its not impossible, but just requires a extra work.

Comment

In my unit there is an FBI SA who is an O-4, an HSI SA who is an O-3, an E-6 who is an ATF SA, and in my old unit there was an E-5 IRS SA, E-6 DEA SA, plus a few more to include state cops. I'm looking to go into the 1811 career also. So it can be done with a little more sacrifice.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5922 users online. 221 members and 5701 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X