300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• United Nations Police

Anyone on here ever work for that organization, apply for a job there, or know someone who has? There are 85 Americans who are part of the UN Police.

FYI-The UN Police are not the people who guard the UN building in NYC. Those are UN security guards.

i thought the department of state guards the united nations
    officially sworn into the Us Marine Corps, going in with an 03 contract leave for bootcamp on January 9th

Comment

Originally posted by hangman View Post
      Anyone on here ever work for that organization, apply for a job there, or know someone who has? There are 85 Americans who are part of the UN Police.

FYI-The UN Police are not the people who guard the UN building in NYC. Those are UN security guards.
      Where did you see the posting for this Job? USA Jobs usually gives a pretty good job Description even when it comes down to differentiating per grade assignment.

Comment

Originally posted by lefty883 View Post
        Where did you see the posting for this Job? USA Jobs usually gives a pretty good job Description even when it comes down to differentiating per grade assignment.
        http://www.un.org/en/peacekeeping/si...ce/index.shtml

If I recall correctly, like INTERPOL, you need to be sponsored by your agency to work for these folks.

Comment

Does anyone know what agencies sponsor their employees for this position? Is this the same as "peacekeeping" forces or is it different? If there are only 85 slots for Americans I would think they may be at the advisory level.
          Those who have struggled with failure more appreciate success; than those who succeed but never themselves test.

Comment

United Nations Police

You don't come off the street and say I want to be a police advisor in Mozambique. What i remember is the U.S. doesn't have operators in this.

You might be thinking of the U.N Security force that protects the HQ in NYC and many U.N installations around the world.
            Abraham Lincoln:Nowhere in the world is presented a government of so much liberty and equality. To the humblest and poorest amongst us are held out the highest privileges and positions. The present moment finds me at the White House, yet there is as good a chance for your children as there was for my father's.
            --August 31, 1864 Speech to 148th Ohio Regiment

Comment

UN civilian police (CIVPOL) fall under the section of the UN that runs peacekeeping operations (I think it is DPKO). In the past, the State Department contracted a company that would hire American police officers for these missions. Dyncorp was big into this in the late 90s and early 2000s, I do not know what companies are doing it now. The US, or any other country, agrees to contribute a certain number of police officers to a mission. I know there have been US police officers in Bosnia, Kosovo, East Timor and Haiti, working under the UN missions in those countries. I do not know what other countries have had American officers. There have been many more missions that had other than American officers, but no Americans.

In the past, most Americans who went on these missions were either retired, granted a leave of absence by their employer, or quit their job at home to accept the overseas job. I am unaware of officers being sponsored by American agencies. In every other country that I am aware of, the officers are sponsored or seconded by their home agencies. In the US, the federal government has no means to compel a local or state agency to send officers to these missions. The European officers I knew who were on these missions were seconded by their home agencies, even those who worked for local, state or provincial police forces.

The exact duties vary from mission to mission. In Bosnia we were monitors and trainers. In Kosovo, to my understanding, the UN police had full police authority. It all depends on the mission.

The UN Security section in New York are UN employees. They also have uniformed security in other locations, such as the Hague. For information on these jobs, check the UN website. For CIVPOL jobs for Americans, a google search will probably be your best bet. I do not know the US even has officers currently deployed to UN missions. If you check the job listings of officer.com you may find some companies advertising positions, but these advertisements frequently carry the caveat that the jobs will be filled if a contract is awarded, which I take to mean there is no job at the time the advertisement was placed. You can check the Dyncorp website, but I do not know if they are still in the UN business or if they have their hands full in Afghanistan and Iraq. Many civilian police officers went to Afghanistan and Iraq with Dyncorp, but these were not UN missions.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6222 users online. 307 members and 5915 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X