Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to get hired, need an opinon

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Trying to get hired, need an opinon

    Hey everyone,
    I am 27 Yrs old in the Navy stationed in GA but currently Living in FL. I have been in the Navy for 5 yrs and will be getting out this December. I am currently a Master-At-Arms PO2 (E5 for those not familiar with navy ranks). I have been stationed in Diego Garcia doing Patrol, dispatch, harbor security, and was a qualified watch commander for 14 months. I then went to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba and was a guard in the detention facility for 1 yr. I have now transferred to GA where I did strategic weapons security for my first year and now work in the armory for my last 10 months. I have a few questions in my background but a lot of positives besides the above.
    Positives:
    -High School Graduate
    -Went to college briefly before joining the military. Earned 35 credits. Earned an additional 55 in the Navy but still need a few classes for my AA in Criminal Justice.
    -Former Police Explorer from age 14-20. Rose to the rank of Captain (highest rank we had) and won almost every award that I could win, including 5th place in the country for bomb threat response at a national conference.
    -Former Emergency Medical Technician- Worked volunteer on two different first aid squads. One for about a year, the other for about 3 yrs. My cert expired when I went into the Navy.
    -Prior Loss Prevention experience for about a yr total.
    -Prior Dispatch experience as an alarm operator and in Diego Garcia
    -Experience as a seasonal LEO (non-sworn) for two summers.
    -Steady work experience. On and off during the summers as a teen, no unemployment since HS for longer than a week or two.
    - No drug Use at all. Period.
    -Do not Smoke, never have.
    -Rarely if ever drink.
    -No arrests.
    -Physically fit.
    -Fairly clean driving record with no points ever (see details of two tickets below).
    -No disciplinary action at all with the military. Never been fired from any Job. (One job listed under negative i was asked to resign.)
    - Recieved numerous awards while in the Navy and in the Explorer program including 2 Navy and Marine Corps achievement Medals (with a third that is pending approval).
    -Good references- 3 police officers, 2 long time friends of the family, one good friend from EMT days who is now an attorney.
    -Enrolled in the Equivalency of training course in January 2012 for my certification as a LEO. Already approved, just waiting on the class.

    Now for the negatives:
    -When I was in my early twenties my family fell on some tough times. I moved out on my own and long story short I had a difficult time making ends meet and worked up some debt. I have since repayed 90% of it. I still have two blemishes on my credit and a Fair credit score. One item is 500 dollars owed to Verizon that I am disputing. I went overseas and they never turned off my phone. I have provided numerous copies of my orders to them and made a dozen calls trying to resolve it to no avail.
    The second is a charge that I already paid and I am trying to get taken off. It is only for 234 dollars so worse case scenario I may just pay it again and ensure I get something in writing saying it is done. My credit score remains around 633 and I am slowly trying to build it up. (Just got a credit card again finally after 6 yrs.)
    -Two Traffic citations: 1 in 2006 for a license plate light being out. 1 in 2005 for an expired registration.
    -Lastly, When I worked for the police dept I was young and dumb. I worked as a seasonal non-sworn officer just patrolling the boardwalk areas. I would occasionally talk to some of the workers at the boardwalk, including one female I had met on a call. She did not complain, but her boss said I was hanging around too much and my chief opted to ask me to just resign after recieving a complaint. He said I could return the next summer if I wanted to. I never did return to the dept however. Aside from that, I have never been fired or asked to resign from any other job since. That was back in 2004. I don't know what if anything was documented in my record. I don't even know if anyone there remembers me. I did include it in my applications though and I will own up to being young and stupid and I know that it could be seen in the wrong light since I was in uniform. I have learned from my mistakes. I just want to know how if at all it would effect me getting a job. I know a lot of people probably have spotless records like I do, but I also have military experience and some college, plus some time has passed since this happened. For those of you that do background investigations or work for PDs, how do you think I should handle this? Is it worth contact my Lt at the PD I used to work for and seeing what is documented in my record? Should I just explain it in the way I have here and not worry about it? How much would the credit score effect me since I can show a paper trail of making payments and trying to resolve the issues I had in the past? Thank You all in advance for your insight.

  • #2
    The last negative about resigning after what in effect was a resign/or be fired is going to hurt you, even more so because your working for a PD at the time. Personally, I think there is more to this, it seems odd that one complaint would lead to that.
    You need to tell the truth and again it might not hurt to talk to the Lt, I still think there is more than your sharing rather you know that there is more or not.

    Credit, as long as you can show your working on it, and it's not an ongoing irresponsibility issue, shouldn't matter too much. I would avoid giving them paperwork at first, just let them know why it happened and that your working on it, let them know what papers you have an go from there if they want more.

    As far as tickets go, there is enough time, and they aren't moving so again, not great but I don't think it'll hurt much. Most of the background forms I've seen ask mainly about the past 3/5 years, some ask longer.

    As far as the LP/dispatch/EMT, those don't really help per say, but are work experience.

    Be sure to take advantage of your preference points if offered too.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
    (")_(")
    Copy and paste Bunny into your
    signature to help him gain world domination

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by CACBAND View Post
      The last negative about resigning after what in effect was a resign/or be fired is going to hurt you, even more so because your working for a PD at the time. Personally, I think there is more to this, it seems odd that one complaint would lead to that.
      You need to tell the truth and again it might not hurt to talk to the Lt, I still think there is more than your sharing rather you know that there is more or not.

      Credit, as long as you can show your working on it, and it's not an ongoing irresponsibility issue, shouldn't matter too much. I would avoid giving them paperwork at first, just let them know why it happened and that your working on it, let them know what papers you have an go from there if they want more.

      As far as tickets go, there is enough time, and they aren't moving so again, not great but I don't think it'll hurt much. Most of the background forms I've seen ask mainly about the past 3/5 years, some ask longer.

      As far as the LP/dispatch/EMT, those don't really help per say, but are work experience.

      Be sure to take advantage of your preference points if offered too.
      There really is nothing more than what I am telling you. From what I can remember of my talk with the chief, he was just concerned of basically how it looked talking to a female while on duty and that I might be more concerned with that then doing my job. I could understand where he was coming from on that now that I am looking back on it. All he told me about was one complaint and it was from her boss, not her. There was nothing criminal, and the chief just said to resign for that season (it was basically summer employment, not full time LEO) and that I could re-apply and come back the following year if I wanted to and I would not have a problem. I chose not to go back because by a year later, I had another job that I liked that was paying a lot better, and as previously stated I was living out on my own. The PD only paid 7.10 an hour and during the winter there really was no work to do. So I am not sure what if anything was written in my record. Maybe the chief wrote it off as a mistake and never put anything down, just took my resignation and that was that? Idk. But I put it down on my applications just to be sure, and to be open and honest about it.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by italianjerzguy84 View Post
        But I put it down on my applications just to be sure, and to be open and honest about it.
        That would be the best plan anyway. How long was left on your season? It just seems odd that one complaint led to that, who knows.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
        (")_(")
        Copy and paste Bunny into your
        signature to help him gain world domination

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by italianjerzguy84 View Post
          There really is nothing more than what I am telling you. From what I can remember of my talk with the chief, he was just concerned of basically how it looked talking to a female while on duty and that I might be more concerned with that then doing my job. I could understand where he was coming from on that now that I am looking back on it. All he told me about was one complaint and it was from her boss, not her. There was nothing criminal, and the chief just said to resign for that season (it was basically summer employment, not full time LEO) and that I could re-apply and come back the following year if I wanted to and I would not have a problem. I chose not to go back because by a year later, I had another job that I liked that was paying a lot better, and as previously stated I was living out on my own. The PD only paid 7.10 an hour and during the winter there really was no work to do. So I am not sure what if anything was written in my record. Maybe the chief wrote it off as a mistake and never put anything down, just took my resignation and that was that? Idk. But I put it down on my applications just to be sure, and to be open and honest about it.
          Non sworn LEO? Either you were a cop or you weren't.

          And yeah, there has to be more to the story of you being asked to resign. The females boss obviously called your agency and you got asked to resign in lieu of being fired. Big no no in LE.

          That will be a big bump in the hiring process. Who cares what you have done as a Master at arms in the navy. Agencies only want to see Discharge type.
          "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by irishlad2nv View Post
            Non sworn LEO? Either you were a cop or you weren't.

            And yeah, there has to be more to the story of you being asked to resign. The females boss obviously called your agency and you got asked to resign in lieu of being fired. Big no no in LE.

            That will be a big bump in the hiring process. Who cares what you have done as a Master at arms in the navy. Agencies only want to see Discharge type.
            There is such a thing as being a LEO in NJ without being sworn. It is similar to a reserve officer in departments here in FL. You mainly are there to write tickets and can arrest only on misdemeanor charges. The difference being there is only a need for it except during the summer time in NJ really. You start around May and end around September. The rest of the year they may call you if they need you to fill in for something, but you really don't do anything even though you are still considered "employed." This was already August when this happened. Yes, I was asked to resign in lieu of being fired. And I do think what I have done in the military is just as important, but since you mentioned discharge type, it will be Honorable. I am hoping that upon review of what happened, the investigator will understand that being 19 years old at the time, I wasn't thinking in terms of law enforcement officer talking to a female. I did not even ask her out or anything like that. I talked to her a few times and her boss noticed and maybe thought I was harassing her? I don't know. They didn't say any harassment had taken place or anything. Just that it was inappropriate to be having a conversation with a female like I was while on duty. As I said, looking back on this it is understandable but having no other real problems with other jobs, no criminal record, no real problems with driving history, military veteran, and having volunteer service as an EMT and Explorer.... I would think they could see that I am being honest about it. Not to mention anyone you talk to about me would say just that. They would also say this is all I have ever wanted to do. So thank you all for the insight. I do appreciate your opinions, even if they are not exactly what I was hoping to hear. I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens and give a call to my former LT. Maybe he can shed some light on this.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by italianjerzguy84 View Post
              There is such a thing as being a LEO in NJ without being sworn. It is similar to a reserve officer in departments here in FL. You mainly are there to write tickets and can arrest only on misdemeanor charges. The difference being there is only a need for it except during the summer time in NJ really. You start around May and end around September. The rest of the year they may call you if they need you to fill in for something, but you really don't do anything even though you are still considered "employed." This was already August when this happened. Yes, I was asked to resign in lieu of being fired. And I do think what I have done in the military is just as important, but since you mentioned discharge type, it will be Honorable. I am hoping that upon review of what happened, the investigator will understand that being 19 years old at the time, I wasn't thinking in terms of law enforcement officer talking to a female. I did not even ask her out or anything like that. I talked to her a few times and her boss noticed and maybe thought I was harassing her? I don't know. They didn't say any harassment had taken place or anything. Just that it was inappropriate to be having a conversation with a female like I was while on duty. As I said, looking back on this it is understandable but having no other real problems with other jobs, no criminal record, no real problems with driving history, military veteran, and having volunteer service as an EMT and Explorer.... I would think they could see that I am being honest about it. Not to mention anyone you talk to about me would say just that. They would also say this is all I have ever wanted to do. So thank you all for the insight. I do appreciate your opinions, even if they are not exactly what I was hoping to hear. I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens and give a call to my former LT. Maybe he can shed some light on this.
              See my problem is and many BI's will raise this red flag also is, you were or say you were an explorer up to the age of 20? However you mentioned being a non-sworn LEO at 19? So to me, you should have known what certain things not to do.

              You have already shed some more light. It took you a few posts. Being asked to resign in lieu of being fired in LE is a major red flag and it will be, no matter what age you were, and no matter this was a non sworn position or not. Fact is, you say it was a LEO position. Fact is, someone made allegations against you.

              You could vol at the homeless shelter everyday, however getting fired, which is what was going to happen to you and you took the easy way out, will haunt you.

              Police 101...and right now you are trying to make your background cover up your past. Sorry to b so blunt.
              "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by italianjerzguy84 View Post
                Just that it was inappropriate to be having a conversation with a female like I was while on duty.
                This is were I'm still sure there is more to the complaint. There is nothing wrong with talking to females on duty. If she worked in the area you patrolled, it's not like you were leaving your beat to go find her. If it was kept on a professional level, you could even argue that is proactive/community policing, to be spend a reasonable amount of time with store workers in your area to get to know what's going on in the area.

                To me, it sounds more and more like the boss may have helped her complain, because maybe she was afraid to do it herself. Honestly, I know you say they didn't say it, but this harassment written all over it.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
                (")_(")
                Copy and paste Bunny into your
                signature to help him gain world domination

                Comment

                What's Going On

                Collapse

                There are currently 4726 users online. 216 members and 4510 guests.

                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                Working...
                X