300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tampa? Orlando? Border Patrol? going somewhere

I'm currently a Memphis Police officer. I have given this wonderful city 5 years and now they have decided that i do not need 4.6 percent of my pay "possibly more in another cut". They have also raised insurance premiums to avoid a pay cut which is exactly what that is. Now if that wasn't wonderful enough they are trying make drastic changes to the pension plan. As it currently stands i would be able to retire after 25 years of service regardless of age with 62.5 percent pension which accrues at 2.5 percent per year. We also currently have the 3 year drop plan like many other agencies. Our pension plan isn't the greatest but i like where i am. The new pension plan would accrue at 2 percent per year with a minimum age for retirement of 55 for police and fire. Let me also say that i hired on at 21 which adds 9 years to me eligibility. I also can't get a straight answer to whether or not my pension would actually increase after my 25 years of service for those last 9 years. 25 years 50 percent pension might be the same as 34 years service 55 years old 50 percent pension. Sorry long story to ask this, anyone out there currently employed by Orlando or Tampa? I have a few questions. Tampa Pd starts out "lateral" on a step 3 with over 4 years of service at a larger police department, how fast do you move up the other 7 steps? How do promotions work merit, test, seniority?, is there a bid system or officers just placed by chief or Lt., Is there a dedicated Srt/ Swat team or like many small agencies that have patrol officers with special patches? Also if you work there any advice? Is there a residency requirement for either? Also considering Border Patrol but haven't researched that much.

Thanks
    Ryan
    Last edited by coop644c; 10-20-2011, 03:08 AM.

Originally posted by coop644c View Post
    I'm currently a Memphis Police officer. I have given this wonderful city 5 years and now they have decided that i do not need 4.6 percent of my pay "possibly more in another cut". They have also raised insurance premiums to avoid a pay cut which is exactly what that is. Now if that wasn't wonderful enough they are trying make drastic changes to the pension plan. As it currently stands i would be able to retire after 25 years of service regardless of age with 62.5 percent pension which accrues at 2.5 percent per year. We also currently have the 3 year drop plan like many other agencies. Our pension plan isn't the greatest but i like where i am. The new pension plan would accrue at 2 percent per year with a minimum age for retirement of 55 for police and fire. Let me also say that i hired on at 21 which adds 9 years to me eligibility. I also can't get a straight answer to whether or not my pension would actually increase after my 25 years of service for those last 9 years. 25 years 50 percent pension might be the same as 34 years service 55 years old 50 percent pension. Sorry long story to ask this, anyone out there currently employed by Orlando or Tampa? I have a few questions. Tampa Pd starts out "lateral" on a step 3 with over 4 years of service at a larger police department, how fast do you move up the other 7 steps? How do promotions work merit, test, seniority?, is there a bid system or officers just placed by chief or Lt., Is there a dedicated Srt/ Swat team or like many small agencies that have patrol officers with special patches? Also if you work there any advice? Is there a residency requirement for either? Also considering Border Patrol but haven't researched that much.

Thanks
    Ryan

I can't give too much on any of the agencies you listed. Try going to the local discussions on the forum and click on Florida. You should be able to find some information and officers for the Tampa and Orlando on there. They might be able to help you. As for BP, try that thread, I'm pretty sure there are some Agents that follow the thread. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks
      Ryan

Former Tampa Officer here who recently left to go FED.. Tampa is a great!!! place to be. Steps increase annually until you reach ten, MPO is granted after 10 years of service at Tampa retirement is 3.16 a year with 20 and out at 70%.. Take home car for any county that touches Hillsborough/1 hour TRT accepts applicants after you have 2 years on with TPD.. Promotion test CPL/Detective are taken every two years TOP 50 are on list, Chief picks who she wants from list..Shifts for new employees you go where there is an opening... After probation you bid based on seniority.. hope this helps..
      PT!!!! Who do you think you are joining? There are two groups of agents at FLETC. The ones pulling Gators down the road with instructors yelling at them are U.S. Marshals. The ones hanging out on the balcony drinking beer and laughing at the U.S. Marshals are us (and most of the other agencies).-jb74

Comment

In the BP we get 1.7 % per year up until 20 years of service. After that it is 1%. You can retire with 25 yrs of service at any age or 20yrs of service at age 50. We do have a 401k type plan that they match 5% and a special retirement supplement we receive until age 62. Basically in the federal gov, your real retirement dollars are dependent on you putting a lot of money into our TSP/401k plan and good returns from wall street. Mandatory retirement is age 57.

We are looking at a potential pay cut of 8% or more with CBP trying to take away our FLSA so they can give their customs managers LEAP pay. If this goes through will be getting paid for 50 hours straight time per week regardless the amount of additional hours we have to work w/o any additional compensation. The potential for abuse is very high with are management. Overall the federal gov has not had any cost of living increases this year or this coming year per Obama. Our medical premiums go up every year so basically we have received a pay cut.

If I were you I would consider another local police department. Good luck with it and if have any other questions about the USBP just send me a PM.

Thanks
        Ryan

Comment

Wow Tampa is looking better and better lol. Thanks for the information to all of you. I'm sorry the Border Patrol is panning out to be so great. I sorta figured with the current administration. We have alot of guys here interested in Tampa. Its like the dream place for Le compared to where i am. what is Tampa's stance on degrees, i am 26 hours from graduation (liked to party in college 5th year junior) would it help alot getting hired or would i be "ok" with my college and experience? Also i have read that Tampa pays employees health insurance, what about pension contribution? Again i can't say thank you enough for the input!!

thanks
          Ryan
          Last edited by coop644c; 10-22-2011, 05:01 AM.

Comment

Wow Tampa is looking better and better lol. Thanks for the information to all of you. I'm sorry the Border Patrol is panning out to be so great. I sorta figured with the current administration. We have alot of guys here interested in Tampa. Its like the dream place for Le compared to where i am. what is Tampa's stance on degrees, i am 26 hours from graduation (liked to party in college 5th year junior) would it help alot getting hired or would i be "ok" with my college and experience? Also i have read that Tampa pays employees health insurance, what about pension contribution? Again i can't say thank you enough for the input!!

thanks
            Ryan
            60 hours and experience will get you hired.. 50 dollars extra a month for AA and 85ish for BS up to 130 for salary incentive courses..A large portion of health is paid..They were going to these "wellness centers" when I left and if you used those doctors its free..pension contribution amount changes every year depending on fund performance.. Over the past 15ish years it has been as high as 14ish percent and as low as 2%
            PT!!!! Who do you think you are joining? There are two groups of agents at FLETC. The ones pulling Gators down the road with instructors yelling at them are U.S. Marshals. The ones hanging out on the balcony drinking beer and laughing at the U.S. Marshals are us (and most of the other agencies).-jb74

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11857 users online. 455 members and 11402 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X