300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual citizenship

Hi guys, does anyone know if having dual citizenship may be an issue for the background investigation?
    I've read a few questions in the FBI applying papers asking that, also if the person has done something to resign to the other citizenship (not american one), don't know if other agencies require this type of questions too, thanks!

You will be asked about dual citizenship, as well as foreign contacts and activities, for nearly all Federal L.E. positions requiring a clearance. (And that's almost all of them, too. ) Tell the truth when you fill out your clearance form (E-Quip) and give specific information. Be prepared to be asked about and explain it by your B.I.

Dual citizenship is NOT the same as 'renouncing' your citizenship.
    Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

Comment

You will not be able to receive top secret clearance if you have dual citizenship. If you are currently in the application process I would recommend renouncing the foreign citizenship. Renouncing it means you are in a way cancelling it without the possibility of reacquiring it again in the future leaving you with only US citizenship. The embassy of the foreign state has the necessary information and forms that are required for this.

The process may take some time depending on the foreign government so it is safe to say your application may be suspended until there is a formal confirmation that the process has been finalized.

Comment

In my case, I had to write a letter to the embassy stating my intentions of surrendering it. Because the country makes it almost impossible to surrender it (President and congress have to sign it basically), OPM asks to sign a paper stating that I will not use my citizenship and not get another passport from my country of birth.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanic8 View Post
          You will not be able to receive top secret clearance if you have dual citizenship.

This is false.

Comment

Originally posted by zxcvbnm View Post
            This is false.
            That is what I was told by an agency, maybe some agencies have different requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by zxcvbnm View Post
              This is false.
              What do you know about it? It will be good and helpful to know your point on this

Comment

Originally posted by Stanic8 View Post
                You will not be able to receive top secret clearance if you have dual citizenship. If you are currently in the application process I would recommend renouncing the foreign citizenship. Renouncing it means you are in a way cancelling it without the possibility of reacquiring it again in the future leaving you with only US citizenship. The embassy of the foreign state has the necessary information and forms that are required for this.

The process may take some time depending on the foreign government so it is safe to say your application may be suspended until there is a formal confirmation that the process has been finalized.
                That's an interesting point. When you become a naturalized citizen and you say the Oath of Allegieance, you're automatically renouncing to any other foreign citizenship. After this, if you want to have dual citizenship you need to go to the embassy and ask for a document to keep the foreign citizenship, also you have a period of time to do so. It all depends on the terms of the foreign country. The point here is that if you haven't done anything to keep dual citizenship you're only american.
                Last edited by albertogc; 10-14-2011, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by albertogc View Post
                  What do you know about it? It will be good and helpful to know your point on this
                  Check USCIS.GOV, Form N-400, at the bottom you will read the following information:

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the armed forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

Hope it helps!!
                  Go wildcats!

Comment

Plenty of Border Patrol Agents are dual citizens.
                    Gek.

Comment

Deleted Post
                      Last edited by FriscoFed; 12-16-2011, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by albertogc View Post
                        That's an interesting point. When you become a naturalized citizen and you say the Oath of Allegieance, you're automatically renouncing to any other foreign citizenship. After this, if you want to have dual citizenship you need to go to the embassy and ask for a document to keep the foreign citizenship, also you have a period of time to do so. It all depends on the terms of the foreign country. The point here is that if you haven't done anything to keep dual citizenship you're only american.
                        Yes, that is what I thought but some countries may still try and claim you as a citizen, therefore some agencies prefer if the applicant goes through the formal process. If you are a dual citizen and it needs to be changed, I am sure someone will tell you.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5870 users online. 184 members and 5686 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X