300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
    Id avoid it while you are in your probationary period while working for the VA. If you get hurt and have no leave or use all your leave they can put you into Leave Without Pay (LWOP) or worse terminate you.
    That is a good point, and I see what you're saying. I might be able to maintain my Florida LE Standards for one year out of pocket without being an active reserve officer. That's a bridge I'll have to cross IF, I even get and interview much less the job. I feel my chances are fairly good, but you just never can tell................... Thanks for the input. Take care.
    "You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on Earth, or we will sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness."
    -RONALD REAGAN, Oct. 27, 1964

Comment

• Originally posted by FLGunSlinger View Post
      That is a good point, and I see what you're saying. I might be able to maintain my Florida LE Standards for one year out of pocket without being an active reserve officer. That's a bridge I'll have to cross IF, I even get and interview much less the job. I feel my chances are fairly good, but you just never can tell................... Thanks for the input. Take care.
      I too applied for one of these positions. Good luck in the process. Are you a veteran?
      FAMS

App Received 3/15/2011
      Met Quals 5/04/2011
      CO 5/04/2011
      Crim/Cred 5/07/2011
      FAB 5/16/2011
      FOS 5/24/2011
      Panel 8/09/2011
      Referred Blue star
      Hiring Freeze 1/2012

FBI SA

App 8/2011
      Phase I 9/2011
      Meet and Greet 10/2011
      Phase II ?

Comment

• Same here.

Comment

• Originally posted by SFvet View Post
          I too applied for one of these positions. Good luck in the process. Are you a veteran?
          Yea, 8 years Army as a Scout. Got out in '06 after my last tour, and have been a cop ever since. Good luck to you and MPK9 as well. Don't get me wrong, I do like my current job, but it's time to make a change for my family now that my little girls are getting bigger. Call out pay is good money, but not when you never get to see your family. If I wanted that, I could've stayed in the Army!

Anyways, good luck to you guys. The VA looks like a good job, and a way to get back some of that camaraderie that we used to have in the service as well.
          "You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on Earth, or we will sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness."

Comment

• Another random question:

Does the VA require that you live within a certain commute distance to one's assigned duty station? Most municipal, state, and county agencies do have some sort of distance requirement. Thanks, guys.

Comment

Another random question:

Does the VA require that you live within a certain commute distance to one's assigned duty station? Most municipal, state, and county agencies do have some sort of distance requirement. Thanks, guys.
              No. Just be at work on time or for your ot shift. I work with a guy who lives about 2 hours away from his job.
              I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

• Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
                No. Just be at work on time or for your ot shift. I work with a guy who lives about 2 hours away from his job.
                Awesome, thanks for the quick answer, brother. Be safe.......

Comment

• Good luck to all, also if your looking to just get to FL, or relocate to the Tampa area, the AF should be opening slots up at some point soon. Granted its the VA Police forum

Comment

• We work for an agency in which there are a lot of complainers. It isn't the majority but it seems the the ones who do complain get on forums and are verbal. VA Police isn't a bad job, I've been with the agency for a bit now and enjoy working here. This agency is getting better slowly but surely and I encourage people who are looking to get on with a growing federal police agency to go ahead and apply even if you're not a vet. I was at Wawa the other day BSing with a mint cop and an FPS cop (I know bored federal cops...get to work!) and I was listening to them vent about their places...they weren't slamming their agencies just stating a couple of irks. I realized that we at the VA don't have it worse than any other federal uniform police agencies...we just have different issues. Expansion of authority in 2010, LEOSA, new badge and creds are all steps in the right direction for our agency. I for one am happy to be employed as a VA Police officer.
                    Last edited by blaze76; 06-02-2012, 02:08 AM. Reason: Grammar
                    Good Enough For Government Work.

Comment

• Very well said .

Comment

• Originally posted by blaze76 View Post
                        We work for an agency in which there are a lot of complainers. It isn't the majority but it seems the the ones who do complain get on forums and are verbal. VA Police isn't a bad job, I've been with the agency for a bit now and enjoy working here. This agency is getting better slowly but surely and I encourage people who are looking to get on with a growing federal police agency to go ahead and apply even if you're not a vet. I was at Wawa the other day BSing with a mint cop and an FPS cop (I know bored federal cops...get to work!) and I was listening to them vent about their places...they weren't slamming their agencies just stating a couple of irks. I realized that we at the VA don't have it worse than any other federal uniform police agencies...we just have different issues. Expansion of authority in 2010, LEOSA, new badge and creds are all steps in the right direction for our agency. I for one am happy to be employed as a VA Police officer.
                        Very well spoken, Blaze76. It's refreshing to hear your positive comments. I'm of the belief that most jobs are what YOU make of them. With that being said, there are times when an officer gets stuck working for a jerk-off supervisor or some other such nonsence. That's all true enough. Still, I've grown throughout the years, and have learned to appreciate what I have. The VA Officers that I've spoken to in person are all content and have a very positive outlook on where the VAPD is going. I would be proud to work for VAPD and hope to do so soon. That's my $.02. Blaze76, you've got the right mind set, brother. Don't let the haters pull you down!

Comment

• Thanks, I have worked for other police agencies and I'm most happy here. I knew Federal Policing consisted of a heavy load of force protection, I even researched the VA's infamous "Situational Law Enforcement" concept, which sucks at times but I understand why the agency uses it. With so much information available on the internet and forums like these, there is no reason someone should come to these jobs with any misconceptions about what the mission consists of. I met a young officer from another agency who was infuriated he had to stand post and wasn't playing John McClane as an 0083. I told him..."Your goal was to be a cop...but you couldn't even "investigate" the primary mission and day to day routine of your current agency". If you wanna be a cop, the first thing you need to do is act like one and do some research on the agencies you're applying to. Stay safe guys.
                          Good Enough For Government Work.

Comment

• Well, I didn't get selected for an interview at the West Palm VA Eligible, but evidently not the most "highly" qualified. Ah, well. Twas not meant to be, I guess. Thanks for answering all of my questions though, guys.

Comment

Well, I didn't get selected for an interview at the West Palm VA Eligible, but evidently not the most "highly" qualified. Ah, well. Twas not meant to be, I guess. Thanks for answering all of my questions though, guys.
                              Don't give up, keep trying. Keep checking for openings. Houston and a few others have postings right now. I've applied 10 times to get to California (5 for Sacramento/Martinez, 1 San Francisco, 2 Long Beach, 1 Loma Linda and finally 1 San Diego) I was always rated eligible and had phone interviews, but never picked. So now I go to West Palm Beach.
                              Last edited by GIOSTORMUSNRET; 06-04-2012, 11:56 PM.
                              GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

Well, I didn't get selected for an interview at the West Palm VA Eligible, but evidently not the most "highly" qualified. Ah, well. Twas not meant to be, I guess. Thanks for answering all of my questions though, guys.
                                Same here, oh well, it was worth a shot.
                                FAMS

App Received 3/15/2011
                                Met Quals 5/04/2011
                                CO 5/04/2011
                                Crim/Cred 5/07/2011
                                FAB 5/16/2011
                                FOS 5/24/2011
                                Panel 8/09/2011
                                Referred Blue star
                                Hiring Freeze 1/2012

FBI SA

App 8/2011
                                Phase I 9/2011
                                Meet and Greet 10/2011
                                Phase II ?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4099 users online. 226 members and 3873 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X