300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QuietPro View Post
    Old Flat Foot, all you ever do in your posts is complain about how much life sucks for police at the V.A.....Seriously, man. If you dislike it so much, why don't you just transfer to another agency, retire, or quit? I'm sure there are a ton of civilians who would like to take your slot just to get into Federal L.E.

Seriously I would be glad to take his spot and work at the VA, but I can't even get an interview with them since I'm not a Vet. I'm certified LEO in 2 states with sworn experience...maybe one day they will give me a interview. Plenty of people live just fine off of their salary ranges, then again I don't live a rockstar lifestyle flat foot might.

Comment

did the badge change? or just the creds?

If this is new badge, it's nice resembles the traditional FED badge.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by OIG1811; 05-29-2012, 11:49 PM.
      ...and is commended as being worthy of trust and confidence

Comment

There was a complete redo of the badge and creds. Wording on the creds has changed and they removed the some part about only bearing a gun during duty hours. The creds are also smaller from what information has been given out.
        GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

Originally posted by grunt82abn View Post
          Sorry I stirred the ss**** pot!!! Just seen the new badges and really liked them! Personally I wouldn't work for anyone else but the federal government!!! Just tired of working 144 hours a pay period and plus I want to be a cop again. The thing that bites me in the rear end is that I have to be picky for my family. I just want what I earned!!!
          grunt,
          You not taking the job was a personal preference. It's the ones in the job that have nothing better to do than complain about the pay and lack of 6c status on a daily are the problem. It's not a bad job in the least, a bit easier than being a city police with more politics involved. The thing is you adapt to what you have to work with and keep going.

For me it's an honor to be the VA Police and working with many vets that do appreciate us. I've had some great conversations with many of the vets and yes a majority of them do appreciate us. It's the amazing stories that some have from their experience. I've talked to world war 2 vets, korea, vietnam and more recent conflicts.

I'm a veteran myself of the first persian gulf war and it's being able to connect with these guys that has kept situation from getting bad. Yes there are disgruntled vets that all they seem to do is complain and make a disturbance when they don't get their way, but for the most part most days are spent fairly calm doing things like traffic enforcement and being a visual deterrent.

Yes I've had my experience having to deal with a vet coming on property with a gun and I handled it the way it should have been. No I didn't have to fire on them, but in the end I got to go home and the vet was given mental health treatment he needed. We both won in the end.

Grunt,
          What a lot of these guys coming into the job that were former or retired city police don't realize is that VA Police have slowly evolved over the past 20 or so years. Some of the guys I've worked with that have been with the VA Police for more than 20 years can tell stories of being security guards with only a flashlight. This position has been growing and evloving slowly, and it will continue to do so.

The biggest roadblock right now is that VA Police fall under Veterans Health Administration, basically run by doctors that don't have the full grasp of the true dangers that many veterans can pose. It took 10 years before VA Police were allowed to be armed on duty, and many directors, as well as executive levels in VHA, tried to prevent that from happening.

My point is that VA Police doesn't have the long history of being a police force like DOD Police, or city police. The training and level of people being hired is improving, and eventually so will the pay and respect. Of course there are going to be the few hiccups that happen, but considering the number of active officers compared the the number of hiccups is still fairly small.
          Last edited by GIOSTORMUSNRET; 05-30-2012, 05:05 AM.

Comment

Do you secure a hospital campus while on duty? I guess in TX we are different becaus ethey hav earmed security officers that are non LEO working at the VA,in Dallas. It has been a while since I have spoken to anyone that works at the one in Dallas, TX.
            My life is in GOD’s hands, and he hasn’t finished with me yet.

Comment

Originally posted by rookie2006 View Post
              Do you secure a hospital campus while on duty? I guess in TX we are different becaus ethey hav earmed security officers that are non LEO working at the VA,in Dallas. It has been a while since I have spoken to anyone that works at the one in Dallas, TX.
              There might be contract security at the CBOC, but all main VA hospitals have VA Police, sworn federal officers with arrest authority. Many of the CBOC have police officers in them too.

Comment

Rookie2006- Sounds like a recipe for disaster. The VA Police were an 0085 series guard before the 70's. Later on we were armed, given LE and arrest authority because no one would listen to a security guard with just a baton and no LE powers....... Even an armed security officer would probably be blown off by a disgruntled vet, who would probably just laugh at him and leave the hospital.
                Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

Comment

Originally posted by GIOSTORMUSNRET View Post
                  grunt,
                  You not taking the job was a personal preference. It's the ones in the job that have nothing better to do than complain about the pay and lack of 6c status on a daily are the problem. It's not a bad job in the least, a bit easier than being a city police with more politics involved. The thing is you adapt to what you have to work with and keep going.

For me it's an honor to be the VA Police and working with many vets that do appreciate us. I've had some great conversations with many of the vets and yes a majority of them do appreciate us. It's the amazing stories that some have from their experience. I've talked to world war 2 vets, korea, vietnam and more recent conflicts.

I'm a veteran myself of the first persian gulf war and it's being able to connect with these guys that has kept situation from getting bad. Yes there are disgruntled vets that all they seem to do is complain and make a disturbance when they don't get their way, but for the most part most days are spent fairly calm doing things like traffic enforcement and being a visual deterrent.

Yes I've had my experience having to deal with a vet coming on property with a gun and I handled it the way it should have been. No I didn't have to fire on them, but in the end I got to go home and the vet was given mental health treatment he needed. We both won in the end.

Grunt,
                  What a lot of these guys coming into the job that were former or retired city police don't realize is that VA Police have slowly evolved over the past 20 or so years. Some of the guys I've worked with that have been with the VA Police for more than 20 years can tell stories of being security guards with only a flashlight. This position has been growing and evloving slowly, and it will continue to do so.

The biggest roadblock right now is that VA Police fall under Veterans Health Administration, basically run by doctors that don't have the full grasp of the true dangers that many veterans can pose. It took 10 years before VA Police were allowed to be armed on duty, and many directors, as well as executive levels in VHA, tried to prevent that from happening.

My point is that VA Police doesn't have the long history of being a police force like DOD Police, or city police. The training and level of people being hired is improving, and eventually so will the pay and respect. Of course there are going to be the few hiccups that happen, but considering the number of active officers compared the the number of hiccups is still fairly small.
                  Gio,

We come from the same cut of cloth, a lot of your reasons are why I currently work where I do and am so picky when it comes to picking a job. If I were doing it just for title and pay I would have stayed with the Lake County Sheriffs Office. I just haveto be patient and wait for the RIF to come down. I will get what I want then and will be able to stay in the Chicago/ Milwaukee area. Really like the new badges!!!

BIA 0083 Police Officer
                  WindRiver PD
                  Tentative Offer:02/12/2013
                  Medical: Completed
                  E-Quip : Completed
                  BI: Completed
                  EOD: 07/30/2013

"We Must Not Simply Mourn The Men Who Died. Rather We Should Thank God That Such Men Lived." Gen George Patton

Comment

Hey guys. First time poster on Officer.com, but have been lurking here for a couple of weeks now. Don't meant to jump into your thread, but had a question if anyone could answer it.

I recently applied to a VA position, and have been researching the job, politics, and procedures etc. Can any VA Officer, or other informed person, advise if the VA will let you, the hired Officer. remain a reserve Officer at a local/State agency whilst he works full time as a VA Officer? I've been a sworn LEO in Florida for the past 6 years, and would like to stay in a reserve status at my current agency if at all possible. I've researched the boards as much as possible on this subject, but haven't been able to find an answer. My guess would be NO, as to avoid a conflict of interests etc, but would like to know for sure.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

FL GS
                    "You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on Earth, or we will sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness."
                    -RONALD REAGAN, Oct. 27, 1964

Comment

• Originally posted by FLGunSlinger View Post
                      Hey guys. First time poster on Officer.com, but have been lurking here for a couple of weeks now. Don't meant to jump into your thread, but had a question if anyone could answer it.

I recently applied to a VA position, and have been researching the job, politics, and procedures etc. Can any VA Officer, or other informed person, advise if the VA will let you, the hired Officer. remain a reserve Officer at a local/State agency whilst he works full time as a VA Officer? I've been a sworn LEO in Florida for the past 6 years, and would like to stay in a reserve status at my current agency if at all possible. I've researched the boards as much as possible on this subject, but haven't been able to find an answer. My guess would be NO, as to avoid a conflict of interests etc, but would like to know for sure.

FL GS
                      Welcome. The answer to your question is Yes, you may hold a reserve commission with another department while being employed as a VA Police Officer. We have several here at my department in NC that do. However, there are a couple catches. 1. You may not exercise your local authority/commission in any way while on duty as a V.A. Police Officer. 2. Your reserve police duties/job must be secondary to your job duties at the V.A. Hope that helps you.

Comment

• QuietPro,

Thanks for your help, bro. You've been a big help. Yea, I've applied for one of the West Palm positions here in Florida, so fingers crossed and we'll see what happens. Thanks again. Be safe, dude.
                        "You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on Earth, or we will sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness."
                        -RONALD REAGAN, Oct. 27, 1964

Comment

• Originally posted by FLGunSlinger View Post

FL GS
                          Id avoid it while you are in your probationary period while working for the VA. If you get hurt and have no leave or use all your leave they can put you into Leave Without Pay (LWOP) or worse terminate you.
                          I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

• Originally posted by grunt82abn View Post
                            Gio,

We come from the same cut of cloth, a lot of your reasons are why I currently work where I do and am so picky when it comes to picking a job. If I were doing it just for title and pay I would have stayed with the Lake County Sheriffs Office. I just haveto be patient and wait for the RIF to come down. I will get what I want then and will be able to stay in the Chicago/ Milwaukee area. Really like the new badges!!!
                            Would you consider Danville, IL I know they are going to be posting soon and are on special locality pay. I'm a GS-6 Step 5 at 48,919 as a base pay here in Danville. I'm transferring to West Palm Beach Florida in 2 weeks so they should have a posting up soon. The only area's hiring at higher pay are in California and quite a few of them start at 52,000 for a GS-5.
                            Last edited by GIOSTORMUSNRET; 05-30-2012, 07:41 PM.

Comment

• I put in for the West Haven,CT announcement. Say's they have 4 vacancies but I'm def not expecting an interview since I'm not a Vet. Hey, can't complain if you don't apply at all though right?

Comment

• ^^ True, there's a lot to be said for trying. But I'd have to agree with you: It's unlikely you will make it in. There's too many 5 and 10 point vets ahead of you. The vast majority of V.A. Police Chiefs want their officers to be vets, and for good reason.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3180 users online. 139 members and 3041 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X