Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone in the process for the Coatesville Pa facility? I live 10 minutes from there, so it is immensely convenient.

Comment

• Hello, what is the hiring process like for direct hire authority positions? In the past I got hired for a DOD police job without any interviews or psych. How does the VA do it? Thanks.

Comment

• Armybyrd
        Armybyrd commented
        Editing a comment
        If you search Usajobs you will see nearly all of the VA police postings say “direct hire authority” though not all do it without interviews. I’ve had one location called me for references and start the background process while another just sent me the tentative offer right off the bat.

• Hey all just received a tentative offer yesterday. I hear onboarding times depend on location but I’m going to fletc in a couple weeks with my current agency. Any chance I could finish my 12 wk fletc course before I get a start date for the VA?

Comment

• Code12911
        Code12911 commented
        Editing a comment
        Listen to me very carefully… If you are going to UPTP it is far more valuable than the VA’s Academy.

• FNG41YR
        FNG41YR commented
        Editing a comment
        Stay with whatever agency that sent you to FLETC.VA police is a dead end crapper.
        Last edited by FNG41YR; 06-29-2021, 11:31 PM. Reason: Mistake

• That’s what I hear but the VA is my goal Since they have locations in every state and I plan on moving plus the veteran atmosphere. Hoping I can do both though but it’ll depend on how fast the VA moves.

Comment

• Are you provided with the results of the psych test or would that be something you would have to foia?

Comment

• Any one have insight or info on the below job? I know they are dispatchers but is it as bad and stressful as being a 911 city dispatcher? How is the job like?

Any VA police officer here have info?

Only reason thinking about it is to get back home.

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/604566700

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
            Winter_Patriot commented
            Editing a comment
            I can't imagine it being that busy. I used to get referrals from the local VA. Usually it was a patient attacking someone or breaking out of the locked psych unit. Occasionally there was theft of a patient's property by another patient/criminal.

• Originally posted by fedco95 View Post
          For all prospective employees, if hired in order to go to letc you will need to show proof of you getting the vaccination for covid. Just passed down...
          Are they allowing religious exemptions?

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
            Winter_Patriot commented
            Editing a comment
            Doubtful. The way things are going, FLETC might start requiring it, instead of requiring unvaccinated to quarantine ten days
            Last edited by Winter_Patriot; 07-21-2021, 09:47 PM.

• Yikes. Hopefully I get another offer before my start date then.

Comment

• Originally posted by TaylorSwift View Post

Are they allowing religious exemptions?
            Which Religion?

Comment

• Hey all!

Recently Hired in the Chicago area as a GS-6 Police Officer, starting in a few weeks, all steps completed. Scoured the threads as to non ask a repetitive question(s), but perhaps some current or recently departed VA cops could answer the following:

•Are the “Special Agents” or Instructors at the LETC academy real 1811’s” in the sense that they receive 6(c) special retirement coverage AND get sent to CITP at fletc?

•Will there be an actual LETC academy occurring for SURE before the end of 2021?

•Realistically, (especially in the Chicago area (Jesse brown and Hines), how’s the overtime/OT? How realistic is it to earn $75-$85k with working moderate OT?

•While waiting on the academy and following other PO’s around or responding to calls, do PO’s get overtime that haven’t received their creds and guns yet?

•Do PO’s that haven’t been to academy yet actually answer calls solo, seeing as that you’re in plainclothes and don’t really have any tools other than a radio and a notepad to start taking down preliminary information?

•Any success-stories of PO’s that join the VA police as a GS-6 and they found this opportunity to get into another 3-letter federal LE agency easier through usajobs or just networking shortly after making their 1-2 years? Compared to trying to become a 0083 or 1811 as a non-federal employee/LEO? What are you doing now? Any agencies value VA police officers and have a track record of bringing them onboard, those particularly wanting UPTP or CITP and etc?

•Larger campuses…Any speed enforcement or just general traffic with magistrate tickets?

•What’s the purpose of sending PO’s to range and shooting so much, especially pre-LETC if they’re not going to be carrying anytime soon until they get credentialed? I won’t complain but just curious as to the reasoning behind this.

•Broken record - Does anyone have any solid info if the VA will become 6(c) LEOs finally and start getting some real police training via UPTP at fletc?

Comment

• Originally posted by VidaG View Post
                Hey all!

Recently Hired in the Chicago area as a GS-6 Police Officer, starting in a few weeks, all steps completed. Scoured the threads as to non ask a repetitive question(s), but perhaps some current or recently departed VA cops could answer the following:

•Are the “Special Agents” or Instructors at the LETC academy real 1811’s” in the sense that they receive 6(c) special retirement coverage AND get sent to CITP at fletc?

The small badge VA special agents are special agents. They're deputized by USMS. not sure about 6c.

•Will there be an actual LETC academy occurring for SURE before the end of 2021?

N/A

•Realistically, (especially in the Chicago area (Jesse brown and Hines), how’s the overtime/OT? How realistic is it to earn $75-$85k with working moderate OT?

N/A

•While waiting on the academy and following other PO’s around or responding to calls, do PO’s get overtime that haven’t received their creds and guns yet?

No, overtime until after the academy. However, there were times were dispatch personnel were out and police officers take the helm -- but they are trained on the police codes (VA/city/county), emergency protocols, etc.. so not likely getting OT.

•Do PO’s that haven’t been to academy yet actually answer calls solo, seeing as that you’re in plainclothes and don’t really have any tools other than a radio and a notepad to start taking down preliminary information?

Nope, that's a big liability. Maybe let you check alarms etc but nothing dealing with people/property.

•Any success-stories of PO’s that join the VA police as a GS-6 and they found this opportunity to get into another 3-letter federal LE agency easier through usajobs or just networking shortly after making their 1-2 years? Compared to trying to become a 0083 or 1811 as a non-federal employee/LEO? What are you doing now? Any agencies value VA police officers and have a track record of bringing them onboard, those particularly wanting UPTP or CITP and etc?

Yes, I had a coworker, who was 0083, became our criminal investigator 1811 (was sent to CITP in FLETC but I don't believe they send people to FLETC anymore), and lateral over to ATF. I had another coworker -- prior to the VA applied to CBP but wasn't selected. After a year, and hard work, he applied again and got it because he had more experience (ie he was the firearms instructor, volunteered to do additional duties, court liason etc). Its easier to make yourself known at the VA. Just volunteer and hard work -- then put it on your resume. CBP then went HSI 1811. Another was in for 5 years, and went USMS as a USMS deputy.

•Larger campuses…Any speed enforcement or just general traffic with magistrate tickets?

Handled all of it. We had concurrent jurisdiction/memorandum of understanding with the county to enforce around the campus. Additionally, we had partnership with US PARK RANGERS since they handled the the large federal property attached to the VA hospital and multiple cemetery sites,

•What’s the purpose of sending PO’s to range and shooting so much, especially pre-LETC if they’re not going to be carrying anytime soon until they get credentialed? I won’t complain but just curious as to the reasoning behind this.

Because a lot of people fail the shooting portion. More training, the better chances you will graduate.

•Broken record - Does anyone have any solid info if the VA will become 6(c) LEOs finally and start getting some real police training via UPTP at fletc?

This been in the works forever. Join FLEOA and participate in the VA police chapter. current only my phone so lmk if some of this stuff don't make sense. I was 0083 - 2015-2017 and left to FBI

Comment

• Originally posted by VidaG View Post

This is the only question that really matters at this point.

Comment

• I was hired at a VA back in June and had a class date for aug 9 but it was cancelled because of a high number of people testing positive for covid. They since sent an email saying there would be no classes for the fiscal year: from the sounds of it LETC is a joke and didn’t actually do anything to combat covid hence why they’re now shutting down for the 2nd time. Currently having a nightmare of a time onboarding a different VA because my HR reps don’t want to do their job or respond to any questions.

Comment

• emtguy89
                      emtguy89 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nvm........
                      Last edited by emtguy89; 09-17-2021, 12:18 PM.

• GoBlue85
                      GoBlue85 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      This fiscal year ends in 2 weeks.

• Hey guys I applied for VA Police a week ago and was already referred for hiring ... what should i expect next ?

Thanks & Be safe
                    Chasing Dreams ...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3479 users online. 211 members and 3268 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X