300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this thread and currently an applicant for VA PD Long Beach, CA. Earlier this month (August 2019) the job posting closed and recently, this week (August 2019), I was emailed that I was eligible for GS 6 for Police Officer and will be referred to the hiring manager. I am not a veteran, but I have quite a bit of diverse civilian experience, including Security (current), Sheriff Explorers, military school, and college just to name some of it. There are some questions that I have to which anyone who can answer them or help answer them are greatly appreciated. Thank You in advance!

*NOTE* I did call the location and spoke with the CPT to request a ride along/tour, and he liked that. However, he said it is better to request a tour once an interview takes place.

My questions are:
    1. What is the actual hiring process like? (Average time from start to finish/EOD)
    2. Am I in a good position as a civilian (Non-Veteran)?
    3. Are there any insights as to working as a VA Police Officer that anyone can offer?
    4. Are there Physical Fitness Standards/Medical Standards available anywhere online?

Feel free to PM me or answer on this post.

Comment

• So this may sound like a dumb question so please excuse my lack of knowledge here. So I currently work as a security officer but I'm really interested in becoming a Police Officer with my local VA. I spent 4 years in the Marine Corps but not as Military Police. So what exactly will I need in order to become qualified to even apply for this job?

Comment

• Stop using “so”, that’s the first step...
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• Thanks for the not so helpful advice

Comment

• Mhuck
            Mhuck commented
            Editing a comment
            Google the qualification and measure it with your resume and see how it looks.
            Last edited by Mhuck; 09-03-2019, 05:45 PM.

• Thank you. The only thing I dont have is the one year of Arrest Authority. Any ideas on how to get that?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shenanigans1332 View Post
            Thank you. The only thing I dont have is the one year of Arrest Authority. Any ideas on how to get that?
            Getting a job as a police officer.....
            I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

• Can anyone shed some light on the VA in baltimore. Pros/Cons. Psych exam scheduled this week process is moving rather fast
              Last edited by Pitbull4332; 09-11-2019, 05:32 PM.

Comment

• Hello Everyone,

Here's an update on my VAP process with Long Beach, CA. Our process was turned into an expedited hiring process. Therefore, multiple steps were condensed into 1 day. I'm not sure of the average time it takes in total, but I was directly told by a different federal police agency that the goal is to get an EOD date within 80 days of the announcement closing date. I hope this helps.

07/02/2019 Application/Questionnaire submitted on USAJobs.gov

07/19/2019 Announcement Closed

08/20/2019 Notice of Results Received: Tentatively Eligible for GS-6 (Email)

08/21/2019 Application Referred to hiring manager for package review (not guaranteed an interview) (Email)

09/06/2019 Notified of Selection for Panel Interview (Phone Call)

09/14/2019 (Panel Interview-Passed/Fingerprints Submitted/S85P Submitted/Chief's Interview)

09/16/2019 Notified of Conditional Offer (Phone Call)

09/21/2019 (Upcoming) Psychological Exam/Medical Exam-EKG/Stress Test

Comment

• Does everyone who takes the psychological exam get an interview afterwards or can they deny you based off of your psych exam solely? If you are denied, can you request a waiver/second look by the Chief?

Thank you in advance!

07/02/2019 Application/Questionnaire submitted on USAJobs.gov

07/19/2019 Announcement Closed

08/20/2019 Notice of Results Received: Tentatively Eligible for GS-6 (Email)

08/21/2019 Application Referred to hiring manager for package review (not guaranteed an interview) (Email)

09/06/2019 Notified of Selection for Panel Interview (Phone Call)

09/14/2019 (Panel Interview-Passed/Fingerprints Submitted/S85P Submitted/Chief's Interview)

09/16/2019 Notified of Conditional Offer (Phone Call)

09/21/2019 Psychological Exam/Medical Exam-EKG/Stress Test

Comment

• Pitbull4332
                    Pitbull4332 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I responded to your other question in the message center but i had my psych last week and got scheduled for an interview next week to go over everything

• Originally posted by Tjwright95 View Post
                  Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this thread and currently an applicant for VA PD Long Beach, CA. Earlier this month (August 2019) the job posting closed and recently, this week (August 2019), I was emailed that I was eligible for GS 6 for Police Officer and will be referred to the hiring manager. I am not a veteran, but I have quite a bit of diverse civilian experience, including Security (current), Sheriff Explorers, military school, and college just to name some of it. There are some questions that I have to which anyone who can answer them or help answer them are greatly appreciated. Thank You in advance!

*NOTE* I did call the location and spoke with the CPT to request a ride along/tour, and he liked that. However, he said it is better to request a tour once an interview takes place.

My questions are:
                  1. What is the actual hiring process like? (Average time from start to finish/EOD)
                  2. Am I in a good position as a civilian (Non-Veteran)?
                  3. Are there any insights as to working as a VA Police Officer that anyone can offer?
                  4. Are there Physical Fitness Standards/Medical Standards available anywhere online?

Feel free to PM me or answer on this post.
                  Were you considered eligible without ever having arrest authority, or do you have experience as a law enforcement officer?

Comment

• Currently, we have arrest authority on University Property due to the MOU with our County Sheriff's Department and PC 832 Certification, along with being federally funded. It's similar to working for a University such as USC Department of Public Safety.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tjwright95 View Post
                      Currently, we have arrest authority on University Property due to the MOU with our County Sheriff's Department and PC 832 Certification, along with being federally funded. It's similar to working for a University such as USC Department of Public Safety.
                      Uh, what you just wrote violates VA policy.

Comment

• Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post

Oh no, I don't work for the VA. I'm an applicant.

Comment

• Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post

What makes it a policy violation?

Comment

• Originally posted by scotty_appleton814 View Post

What makes it a policy violation?
                            You can't use an MOU or outside training to police non VA property

Comment

• scotty_appleton814
                              scotty_appleton814 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I see. So VA cops only have authority over VA owned/controlled property?

• orlandofed5-0
                              orlandofed5-0 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Yes. Only on property

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3900 users online. 209 members and 3691 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X