300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by irishlad2nv View Post
    Would have been better just to post the link...

Only Status candidates can apply and those working for that VA can apply.
    You should have read a little deeper, VEOA and VRA are eligible to apply also. Looks like this police chief wants only veterans in his department, which is quite common since the VA has mandated veterans have priority for hiring. There will be fewer and fewer open announcements from the VA and other federal agencies in favor of veterans.
    Last edited by GIOSTORMUSNRET; 02-19-2012, 12:06 AM.
    GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

VEOA is considered Status...And how does this annoucements seek just veterans?

FYI...opm can be your friend
      "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv View Post
        VEOA is considered Status...And how does this annoucements seek just veterans?

FYI...opm can be your friend
        Other than someone that's already a federal employee who might not be a veteran, VEOA/VRA eligible are veterans. Marching orders from Shinseki is to hire qualified veterans over all other applicants. Most of the chiefs have already been doing that before Shinseki put out that memo.

Comment

Do you have this Memo?

Weird, being that this is only one Announcement open right now and I cannot see how they would hire just "vets" as Police Officers".

VEOA equals Status.
          "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Irish-

Out of a dozen uniformed officers in our department, only one is a non-veteran......and he has extensive civilian police and a bachelor's......... The fact of the matter is that VA Police Chiefs DO want to have most, if not all of their officers as Veterans. And I agree with this philosophy; the same way that most campus police departments want their officer candidates to have college degrees....... A Police Department who directly relates to the population base that they serve.

You are right however, VEOA candidates are vets, and they are Status Candidates.
            Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

Comment

Originally posted by QuietPro View Post
              Irish-

Out of a dozen uniformed officers in our department, only one is a non-veteran......and he has extensive civilian police and a bachelor's......... The fact of the matter is that VA Police Chiefs DO want to have most, if not all of their officers as Veterans. And I agree with this philosophy; the same way that most campus police departments want their officer candidates to have college degrees....... A Police Department who directly relates to the population base that they serve.

You are right however, VEOA candidates are vets, and they are Status Candidates.
              Here in Danville our department is 100% veterans. This chief will only hire veterans. If you're looking for the memo, it was sent to the directors of the facility and mentioned in the VANGUARD magazine several times. There is also a presidential order issued last year to give veterans priority hire in federal agencies. Some of the departments within the VA facilities have a mandatory veteran hire like housekeeping, right now the only non-veterans in housekeeping are grandfathered hires that were in the position before the mandate.

Comment

Originally posted by GIOSTORMUSNRET View Post
                Some of the departments within the VA facilities have a mandatory veteran hire like housekeeping, right now the only non-veterans in housekeeping are grandfathered hires that were in the position before the mandate.
                LOL, I wish, Bro! Here it seems like the majority of our Housekeepers are CWT workers; so many have shady backgrounds and it is the service from which most of our employee-related crime occurs here....that and Food Service. I understand the intent of the program; giving second chances with work programs. But these guys gotta be vetted better. Not to mention there's a boatload of people out there who badly need work and don't have criminal backgrounds.....
                Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

Comment

So does the VA want prior LE experience? It seems I have found some people saying yes while others say no as long as you are a vet. I applied for this announcement in Greenville, NC....does anyone know if this is in anticipation of the new center being built this year, I can't imagine them having officers at the current clinic. I am just curious if I will even get through the application screening, I have a general education associates degree with a criminal justice minor, six years in the national guard as an 11b with one deployment to Iraq. I was hired as an 0085 at a local air force base and was going to ride it out a year or so but left that position in December to go on active duty orders with the national guard for a project that was "supposed" to last until September and possibly turn into something GS. However the money and the desire to implement what we have worked on and the changes we have recommended haven't been well received at the upper levels and I am looking at the soup line come end of April. You current VA guys think I have a shot?? Thanks for the information and here was the announcement.

http://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/307984100

Comment

Originally posted by Sandboxpirate View Post
                    So does the VA want prior LE experience? It seems I have found some people saying yes while others say no as long as you are a vet. I applied for this announcement in Greenville, NC....does anyone know if this is in anticipation of the new center being built this year, I can't imagine them having officers at the current clinic. I am just curious if I will even get through the application screening, I have a general education associates degree with a criminal justice minor, six years in the national guard as an 11b with one deployment to Iraq. I was hired as an 0085 at a local air force base and was going to ride it out a year or so but left that position in December to go on active duty orders with the national guard for a project that was "supposed" to last until September and possibly turn into something GS. However the money and the desire to implement what we have worked on and the changes we have recommended haven't been well received at the upper levels and I am looking at the soup line come end of April. You current VA guys think I have a shot?? Thanks for the information and here was the announcement.

http://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/307984100
                    The VA uses a check list of MOS if you try to use prior military experience. The experience is substitutable with accredited education. Look at the sample of the VA Police employment check off sheet below.

http://www.va.gov/vaforms/va/pdf/VA0120.pdf

Comment

If you feel your resume and your background qualfies you, then apply. However read the announcement closely. I have known several to get hired with no LE background at many VA's so it is possible, no matter their MOS in the military. And yes you can get hired with the VA with no military background as well as a Police officer.

Comment

This announcement is for anyone not just vets. Also if you read the announcement anyone that is a current employee (vet or not) will get preference over any outside VRA applicants. Also my wife works for the VA and she was hired with 0 military experience. So, in theory if my wife wanted this job (which she doesn't) she would have preference over any outside VRA applicant because she is already a VA employee. Your take that the Chief is looking for only vet applicants is a little skewed. Irishlad is right this is not a vet only gig.

Area of Consideration:
                        First-Facility-wide, SECOND - Any other promotion candidate or candidate required to compete from other VA facilities, THIRD- Reassignments, Reinstatement, and other eligible applicants.

Comment

Veterans Affairs Police

I am glad to hear that the opening is open to all. To me it sort of flies in the face of law enforcement professionalism to hire ONLY military veterans and exclude non-military veterans regardless of their experience. Can you imagine if we did that at the VA for other positions? Lets just say we did that for Registered Nurse. Lets say a cook in the Navy is discharged and gets hired as an RN, but they pass over an RN with lots of civilian experience, but NO military experience. It just doesn't make sense to me. Unless I am totally misunderstanding this, some VA Police Departments will hire a military veteran, regardless of his/her MOS, over a non-veteran, even if they have extensive law enforcement experience.

Comment

And some members on here refuse to think that no one else can ger hired...

I could care less what is posted in some freaking magazine or what some " Chief" with the VA does for hiring. That will only come back to bite them in the [email protected]@. There are many VA's that have has "Cheifs" who in sense are not even a Police Chief per the VA, still have to attend the academy bacause they had no background with the VA.

While it's good the VA looks at Vets to hire, they do look outside the box and hire those not as vets...looks at the medical staff. It's not always about the VA police.

Comment

Originally posted by DDixon1000 View Post
                              This announcement is for anyone not just vets. Also if you read the announcement anyone that is a current employee (vet or not) will get preference over any outside VRA applicants. Also my wife works for the VA and she was hired with 0 military experience. So, in theory if my wife wanted this job (which she doesn't) she would have preference over any outside VRA applicant because she is already a VA employee. Your take that the Chief is looking for only vet applicants is a little skewed. Irishlad is right this is not a vet only gig.

Area of Consideration:
                              First-Facility-wide, SECOND - Any other promotion candidate or candidate required to compete from other VA facilities, THIRD- Reassignments, Reinstatement, and other eligible applicants.
                              But it means these folks must meet the qualifications...So if there was no in house applicants who qualified but other VA Police officers who wanted the position, then they would get it. They STILL need to meet the grading AND qualification requirements (irregardless if they are a janitor or nurse) as set forth by OPM meaning they must have arrest authority.
                              I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Originally posted by Jim1648 View Post
                                I am glad to hear that the opening is open to all. To me it sort of flies in the face of law enforcement professionalism to hire ONLY military veterans and exclude non-military veterans regardless of their experience. Can you imagine if we did that at the VA for other positions? Lets just say we did that for Registered Nurse. Lets say a cook in the Navy is discharged and gets hired as an RN, but they pass over an RN with lots of civilian experience, but NO military experience. It just doesn't make sense to me. Unless I am totally misunderstanding this, some VA Police Departments will hire a military veteran, regardless of his/her MOS, over a non-veteran, even if they have extensive law enforcement experience.
                                They are not supposed too... The VA still has to deal with the OPM requirements for GS grading and should not allow someone without arrest authority. However if they were an NCO, they technically have that authority under the UCMJ.
                                I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4445 users online. 242 members and 4203 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X