300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veterans Affairs Police

I recently applied for the Veterans Affairs Police in NY and MA. The Jobs are posted as GS 5/6, does any one know how fast someone can move up Grades and Steps? Also as a veteran is the job eligible for post 9/11 GI Bill?

Originally posted by NYNick View Post
    I recently applied for the Veterans Affairs Police in NY and MA. The Jobs are posted as GS 5/6, does any one know how fast someone can move up Grades and Steps? Also as a veteran is the job eligible for post 9/11 GI Bill?
    In the VA advancement isn't automatic, you have to apply for positions as they are announced. The announcement you applied for has a minimum as a GS-5 with advancement to GS-6 after 1 year. After that you can look at step increased every year for the first 4 then every other year after that. The academy is only 8 weeks long and isn't GI bill eligible, but if you are hired your supervisors will probably work with you and your schedule if you attend college or university. You'll want to attend college local to either Boston or New York because post 9/11 G.I. bill housing allowance is based on the zip code of the university or college and E-5 with dependents. No you don't have to be married to get that level of housing allowance for G.I. bill purposes. The recent change that allows for housing allowance for online courses doesn't allow for the full amount of housing allowance for on campus classes. You have to be considered a full time student and have at least 1 class that is on campus to get the full amount of G.I. Bill. Try university of Phoenix if they have a campus where you get hired. I used to drive an hour on saturdays in order to meet the on campus rule for housing allowance when I was working on my MBA through University of Phoenix.
    GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

What about OTJ pay after the academy ?
      Last edited by NYNick; 09-21-2011, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NYNick View Post
        What about OTJ pay after the academy ?
        It has been brought up about having VA LETC certified for GI Bill, but haven't heard much about it. It might go through now that it will be FLETA certified in November, as for OJT, there really isn't a structured FTO program for VA police, you work 1 year after hire, and unless you screw up bad, you'll pass your probation. The biggest part is that VA hires people with law enforcement experience and other than getting you used to the VA way, there's no need to do major re-training. The VA LETC does have an agreement with a college there in Ar that will give you college credit for the academy, but you have to pay for the credit to be recognized.

Comment

Any info on the las Vegas office

Comment

Are VA Police covered under LEOSA to carry a personal weapon off duty???

Comment

Originally posted by secondchance1 View Post
              Are VA Police covered under LEOSA to carry a personal weapon off duty???
              Yes VA police are covered under LEOSA, but we are not authorized to act, or identify ourselves as police officers if the situation happens, we are acting as private citizens. We are only authorized to wear our badge on our uniform on duty, never off duty and never when carrying a personal firearm concealed. We keep them in our wallet so it isn't visible in public when off duty. VA police works like military police, we sign out and sign in our weapons for duty or training only. With very limited exceptions, we do not take duty weapons home. New insturction due to be released will allow us to cary to official functions (fuel patrol vehicle, courts, or CBOC) for now we have to carry with out magazine engaged in the weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by GIOSTORMUSNRET View Post
                Yes VA police are covered under LEOSA, but we are not authorized to act, or identify ourselves as police officers if the situation happens, we are acting as private citizens. We are only authorized to wear our badge on our uniform on duty, never off duty and never when carrying a personal firearm concealed. We keep them in our wallet so it isn't visible in public when off duty.
                To clarify, I've been advised that you CAN identify yourself as a LEO when carrying your creds off duty if questioned by another LEO, but you are NOT to interject yourself into situations. That was per my chief and the memo I had to sign on day one......But like you said, creds should be carried in the wallet and not openly displayed like on a necklace badge....
                Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

Comment

Hey Im still in the National Guard does any one know about Military days for drill or being able to "double dip"?
                  Also what about OT, I would be taking a pretty big pay hit to transition from civilian to VA...

Comment

O.T. greatly depends on your individual station. Some will have a ton of it; others hardly any.

All feds get 15 days of paid military leave; anything after that has to be annual leave, comp time, or Leave Without Pay.
                    Last edited by QuietPro; 09-22-2011, 07:53 PM.

Comment

I just received a call today for an interview with the VA Police on Monday. I am very excited.

Can anyone tell me what the hiring process is like? What are the steps and what does a typical hiring timeline look like?

Comment

I'll PM you.

Comment

Thank you!
                          Originally posted by QuietPro View Post
                          I'll PM you.

Comment

Originally posted by QuietPro View Post
                            To clarify, I've been advised that you CAN identify yourself as a LEO when carrying your creds off duty if questioned by another LEO, but you are NOT to interject yourself into situations. That was per my chief and the memo I had to sign on day one......But like you said, creds should be carried in the wallet and not openly displayed like on a necklace badge....
                            You know what I mean, yes we identify ourselves as VA Police to an officer during traffic stops or an investigation, but we can't get involved in a situation and yell out "police" then shoot a criminal. It's just a liability that VA will not accept.

Comment

Thanks to all who posted good info here.

Can anyone speak to this statement/policy directly off the Vacancy Announcement?

Receiving Service Credit for Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave: Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. VA may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their job-related non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave. Such credit must be requested and approved prior to the appointment date and is not guaranteed.

Has anyone received such credit and can elaborate?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4697 users online. 243 members and 4454 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X