300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Marshals Questions

Hello, I have a question regarding the pay for US Marshals. The whole federal pay grade system is very confusing for me.
    On the website it says
    â—¦GL-082-5: between $36,658 and $41,260 (as of January 2008)

â—¦GL-082-7: between $41,729 and $46,969 (as of January 2008)

So do they start off in the 40's?
    Would anybody know the avg starting and what is/how long it takes to reach TOP PAY?
    Also I heard that there is an issue with getting 1811 status for some deputies? can anybody please explain.
    Also do you advise joining the NYPD or Us Marshals service? NYC P.O.s can make about
    100k after about 5years with OT. Will I see anything close to that in USMS?
    And for those concerned, I am in the process for USMS through the COOP
    Last edited by rocknroll; 09-15-2011, 02:35 PM.
    “I'm glad to hear that the Chief (of Police) is a personal friend of yours. So you know someone who can post your bail.”

The fluctuation in pay is due to "locality pay" , in that each city/area pays a premium % that is different based on the cost of living for the area. Therefore, when I started at Gs7, i was making $43k and some change, but a classmate started at Gs7 in another city making $48k.
    As far as advancement:
    If you start at gs5, in one year you promote to 7, then one year to 9, then one year to 11, then one year to 12. Then you start taking smaller step increases, or you have to promote to 13, which is competitive, whereas the other grades are guaranteed. By the time you reach gs12 plus leap plus locality you're a little shy of $90k a year already. This doesnt factor in other money opportunities and overtime.
    If you start at gs7 the process is that much faster to reach the money. once you hit gs11 you obtain 1811 status (investigator) which means you make LEAP, which essentially means you add 25% on top of your base salary. Sweet deal. I worked local LEO before here, can't beat the money. I dont know how good the NYPD retirement is compared to here, but you DONT have to worry about being laid off with the FED.
    USMS Region 3
    Info Session: Aug 2009 (Atlanta)
    Interview: 10/26/09 (Atlanta)
    Conditional Offer: 1/15/10
    BackgroundInt: 2/1/10
    Medical:2/15/10
    MedicalReview: 4/15/10
    FIT: 5/10/10 (Excellent)
    Drug: 6/5/10
    Fletc: APRIL 6, 2011!!!
    Duty Station: Laredo,Tx

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
    Border Patrol AgentApplied: 11/15/10
    Written: 12/27/10
    NOR: 12/29/10 (96)
    To:
    Medical:

Comment

I think you are looking at this from the wrong perspective. While financial planning is very important most people do not go into law enforcement to get rich. The agencies couldn't be more different and yes, you will crack the 100k barrier within five years. Just make sure you are doing it for the right reasons. Not trying to offend, just my honest assessment of your statement. I went from local to fed in case you are wondering. If it were me, I'd go fed but if you want to do actual cop stuff be a cop. Best of luck with whatever choice you make.

Comment

And another thing to consider, it might take just shy of FOREVER to get into the USMS. Dont waste time, start the process with NYPD or someother agency in the meantime. Worst case scenario, you get paid and you get experience in the meantime. DO NOT put all your eggs in one basket.
        USMS Region 3

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
        To:
        Medical:

Comment

Originally posted by jtl323 View Post
          but you DONT have to worry about being laid off with the FED.
          Err..... Feds are having RIF's right now..... Trust me on that......

Comment

Maybe I should have said FED LEO's under the USMS. Most RIF's are occuring to non-LEO positions, are they not?I don't see the USMS being touched...
            USMS Region 3

To:
            Medical:

Comment

And another thing to consider, it might take just shy of FOREVER to get into the USMS. Dont waste time, start the process with NYPD or someother agency in the meantime. Worst case scenario, you get paid and you get experience in the meantime. DO NOT put all your eggs in one basket.
              Rumor mill..but my friend who is a USMS said his office told him the new test won't be approved until next year, so hiring might not be until 2013. As usual take it for whats it worth and just apply elsewhere.

Comment

Maybe I should have said FED LEO's under the USMS. Most RIF's are occuring to non-LEO positions, are they not?I don't see the USMS being touched...
                I've heard of some FLEOs being RIF'd in the past (over at 9/11 Job Forums) but I don't know anyone personally....

I'm just stating Federal RIFs can/do happen....and with the idiot in charge now.....anything is possible during budget cuts......

Comment

Originally posted by FlashTACP View Post
                  Rumor mill..but my friend who is a USMS said his office told him the new test won't be approved until next year, so hiring might not be until 2013. As usual take it for whats it worth and just apply elsewhere.
                  Lets hope it comes out next month. I just heard it will be one class. 2013 sounds about right also...

Comment

Thanks a bunch guys! good info with the pay grades JTl.
                    Im not looking to get rich, its just that I want to live comfortably especially when Im expecting kids. And for the specific program I am applying through (non open competitive) its conditional upon staying in college. Once I graduate college I am DQ, and with me expecting to graduate in a couple of months I am in a limbo...should I stay in school and wait on the USMS or accept the PD and finish school. I still have a couple of months to decide, but Im leaning towards me taking anything that comes first especially with this economy...
                    “I'm glad to hear that the Chief (of Police) is a personal friend of yours. So you know someone who can post your bail.”

Comment

Originally posted by rocknroll View Post
                      Im not looking to get rich, its just that I want to live comfortably especially when Im expecting kids. And for the specific program I am applying through (non open competitive) its conditional upon staying in college. Once I graduate college I am DQ, and with me expecting to graduate in a couple of months I am in a limbo...should I stay in school and wait on the USMS or accept the PD and finish school. I still have a couple of months to decide, but Im leaning towards me taking anything that comes first especially with this economy...
                      smart move

Comment

Take a look at some of the other threads for other agencies vacancies. Guys have been waiting for quite some time to get a final offer or start employment. If you're planning on walking right out of college and into a job, I would go with what's immediately available or take another job while you apply to other agencies.

There's nothing quick about getting into a LE job, I've got multiple apps running at the same time and won't stop until my frist day on the job.

Comment

It took me 2 years to get hired, and that was when they were filling classes at more than one per month, now they are creeping to a halt with classes....take what you can get jobwise, apply for agencies while you are working somewhere else. Live life like you didnt even apply, if it happens it happens, if not.......
                          USMS Region 3

To:
                          Medical:

Comment

Originally posted by rocknroll View Post
                            Stay in school. You'll have more options long term and that is what it is all about. You do not want to limit yourself. Having a degree opens lots of doors. Its a marathon, not a sprint.
                            Last edited by SHU; 09-16-2011, 10:34 AM. Reason: k

Comment

Originally posted by SHU View Post
                              Stay in school. You'll have more options long term and that is what it is all about. You do not want to limit yourself. Having a degree opens lots of doors. Its a marathon, not a sprint.
                              Thats right, but my decision would have to be a wise one. If I deny the PD and delay my graduation, Im scared that the USMS might go through another freeze. They hire COOPs or CSEPs are there leisure from what I heard . I guess in these next couple of months I will just say Yes to who ever contacts me first.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5982 users online. 260 members and 5722 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X