300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about trying to juggle military and applying for law enforcement

Hello my name is Alex and I am a senior college student who is also in the reserves. I want to start applying for law enforcement jobs however I am not sure how to juggle military training and the academy. Should I wait until after I have finished my preliminary training for the military to start applying? Are police departments supportive of postponing academy dates for military training? Would it be detrimental to my training to go through the academy, then leave for four months for military training, and return after to being training with an FTO? Any suggestions or recommendations would be very appreciative. Thank you.

Police depts are not going adjust your training around your military training. Your academy will start when it starts and if your not there, you dont go. I would finish your military training then start applying. Your not going to be able to do both at the same time.
    It would have neg impact to leave after the academy for 4 months and then come back and start your FTO phase. You will have forgotten a lot that you learned and will be significantly behind your peers.
    Finish one then start on the other, otherwise both will suffer.

Comment

In my experience I say go ahead and apply. With the crap economy no one hiring in large numbers and the lengthy application processes you will most likely complete your initial entry training before even getting looked at by LE agencies. I've been waiting on a job with ICE and in that time I've commissioned, finished officer basic, deployed to the ME and will most likely make captain before they call me!
      USPIS PI 2014

IRS CI SA 2014

Comment

Go ahead and apply

I wish I hadn't waited until I got out of the Navy to start applying for jobs. I have learned lots of things during the past several years about how process works, but do not have a federal job yet. If anything, apply and get used to the process, the application, interview, tests, all that good stuff. And good luck

Comment

I did both as a First Lt. I was the platoon leader. The First Sgt., police commissioner, and the Staff Sgt., my chief of police, saluted me on the weekends.
          Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

It depends on the Dept and Agency. I'm active duty and have had to miss interviews due to being deployed. Other agencies have sent me final offers and have worked with me to get me into a course once I'm out. It all depends. Worst case scenario you apply, can't make the training and then reapply later or not apply at all.

I would suggest that any Dept or Agency you're interested in, you contact them during the application process. FAMs were pretty understandable when I told them I couldn't make the panel interview. Will they be the second time around?.... only time will tell.

Comment

Just be sure you can commit to both jobs, because you are essentially serving two masters who both think their mission is the most important. I am a FED LEO and a reservist and to be honest trying to juggle both is very very annoying. While at FLETC I went to UTA weekends in South Carolina and deployed right after getting off FTO. The reserve weekend for whatever reason happens to always fall on weekends when we my LE job needs me to be around. I have been in many a argument with my reserve boss because the mission of my LE job was more important that weekend and I had to miss/reschedule my drill weekend. I am currently on 3 weeks of military orders because I went on several TDY details with my LE job earlier in the summer and now I need to make up a few months of missed drill weekends. I still have to do work for my LE job while on drill status because unlike the reserves your LE job doesn't stop. To be honest it's annoying and once I hit my ETS date I am out. In my opinion it's just too hard to balance both effectively

Comment

Going to echo what Bomb-Tech just said. The serving two masters thing always runs through my head as every month I find myself finishing up a long drill weekend & having to report that same Sunday night for the graveyard tour. Although the Feds give you 15 days a year for military leave I find myself exhausting it halfway through the year and having to use my own vacation time for drill. They seem to give you enough if you work a regular M-F/9-5 but in the LE field you will rarely work only weekdays. I've been proud to wear the uniform of my country but it is getting to be a bit much trying to do this and LE. Once my obligation is up as well I'll be getting out. The veterans status has been invaluable in landing an LE job otherwise I think I've gone as far as I can go careerwise as a reservist. Much better to put my full efforts into my LE job and advance that way. Was on the fence awhile about staying in for 20 to get that extra reserve pension check. Don't know if any of you have heard but they are looking at doing away with the pension for reservists in favor of an IRA-type account. If that happens definitely not worth me staying in for another 13 years.
                USPIS PI 2014

IRS CI SA 2014

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9738 users online. 451 members and 9287 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X