300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choice between 2 jobs

Ok, so here is a scenario for everyone that i would like some feedback on.

Your a former federal police officer, you left your last job to finish your degree due to no room for advancement at the department, no 6c/12d retirement, so on and so on. Dream job is 1811 position and that's what your working towards.

Now though you have a choice between 2 jobs. Job 1 is a 6c covered FLEO position with great advancement potential all the way to GS-13 in a few years, but is not a 1811 position and you wont be doing any investigations or patrol work. Starting pay is GL-6 with advancement to GL-7 then you can compete for further job promotions.

Job 2 is a non FLEO position. No 6c/12d retirement or such. The good news though is it is Gs-7 with noncompetitive promotion to Gs-11. It is also office based with some work required and your looking at a personal G car and a flex schedule that you get to control!

So i guess the true dilemma is do you take the higher paying, cushy, easier job and live well now or take the FLEO job and make a bit less but retire earlier? To make the discussion even more fun, your wife make over 90K a year and wants you to take what ever job you want, so money isn't a big issue at the moment (but more money is always nicer!)

How old are you currently?

If you are of an age approaching 37 then I'd take the 12D covered job.

Truthfully, if the ultimate goal is an 1811 position then I'd take the covered job anyway.

Moneywise...GL-06 pay is roughly GS-07 pay; GL-07 pay is roughly GS-09 pay, so for the first couple years the respective salaries should be roughly the same.

Comment

Just turned 27 so age isn't an issue.

While the extra money is tempting, i really think the time added towards my retirement is the main thing with the covered job. The way i figure it, with the hiring process being overwhelmed as it is now for the few available 1811 positions it will probably be 2-5 years before im picked up. Still plenty of time to make the cut off age BUT i'll be honest i want to have the OPTION to retire at the earliest possible age.

Comment

Which job will get you out of bed every day? Make the decision that will make you happy over all.

World_So_Cold

Comment

There is no question for me personally. I would take the job with the non competitive promotional potential of GS-11. That is more money than even a GL-7 step 10.

I used to work for the BOP as a correctional officer, and the federal LEO position you describe sounds just like that job. However it was very hard to move beyond GL-7. They only allow so many GL-8 positions, and you can't move into a LT's position without getting GL-8 first, so a lot of good officers with 10+ years still were GL-7 and basically had no chance of promoting.

If the federal LEO position you are thinking about is the BOP, I strongly urge you to get opinions from other BOP COs.
          What is Perseverance?
          -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
          -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
          -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

I would take the covered position. But thats just me. If your goal is 1811 you will already be covered on the front end for the retirement system.

If its BOP you are talking about you will have a different experience depending on which institution you work at. Theres many 8s in Brooklyn and the people I have talked to have made in around the 4-6 year mark. Plus theres other BOP opportunities in the region for promotion with out having to move.

I could never do office work as a career and GS 11 salary aint all that with out overtime, night dif, sunday dif... especially in the NYC area.

You will probably make much more year for year the first few years when accounting for differentials on the GL scale after that you will have to do OT to compete with a GS 11 salary. But you said money is not the issue.

If your ultimate goal is 1811 or maybe another type of federal LE I say go with the GL/covered position.

And if money is really not an issue you can retire in 23 years at 50 with a pension with the better retirement.

Goog luck
            CBPO
            TO - 05/08 JFK
            EOD - 12/05/2011

Comment

remember that LEO positions do not necessarily give you the best experience.
              Last edited by o2force; 01-01-2012, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Take the job that you could see yourself working for the rest of your life, not the job that you think would look best for applying to 1811 jobs. You never know what will happen. You could get married and have kids, or have a sick family member that you jave to care for or some other life changing event.

What I'm saying is that you could end up stuck in that position, and if you don't like the job, the next 20 years could be hell.
                What is Perseverance?
                -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

All great advice and thoughts so far!

I'm still leaning towards the GL position at the moment thats for sure. As TheKansan mentioned i plan as if the job i take MIGHT be the one i end up retiring from! With that said the GS position while a nice cushy desk job, would allow me to work my own hours and focus on family BUT the main problem is the career progression CEASES at GS-11. An advancement past that you have to switch career fields and i'll be honest, the experience dosent transfer that well.

Now for the GL job, as some of you assumed it is within BOP. The pros of this are that my degree is in accounting. So in one year when i finish that up i could actually apply for an accounting position with them while keeping my 20 year retirement. Honestly this seems like the preferred plan to me since i may not love CO work but i do really enjoy accounting! Again my true desire is investigations but if we all did our dream jobs i dont think we'd see any janitors cleaning toilets

Comment

I would not take the BOP gig. They make it sound like rainbows and lolipops, but its really working double shifts with inmates that are treated as VIP guests of the federal government. Take the Office Job and apply to 1811 later on, you are still young and once a real budget passes there will be plenty of positions. REPEATING DON'T TAKE BOP JOB!! You will regret it and come back to this board in 6 months saying we were right.

PS Unless your a Warden buddy or a nice looking blonde you are not getting that accounting position for years and years.

Comment

At 27, I'd probably take the journeyman GS-11 position. You can always jump into an FLEO gig after you lock in that 11. While those extra few years of 12D retirement might look nice today, who knows if you'll feel like retiring when you're in your early-mid 50's.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11787 users online. 464 members and 11323 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X