300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Department background question

I recently applied to a major metropolitan police department and almost instantly I was told I did not meet the minimum requirements based on the departments decision rules. The following is the needed background to my question.

I disclosed everything in my application for the obvious reason that it is better to be upfront. I have no criminal incidents of any sort, very few traffic violations over a long span, but I do have a small drug past. I had an experimental period with marijuana that lasted only a few months, however this experimental period was a little over a year and a half ago. As well I tried a prescription drug on two occasions while in high school.

I come from a law enforcement family and am in the process of finishing law school this year. I am in great shape and outside of my drug past I believe I am an exceptional candidate.

Am I getting denied automatically because of this drug past?

Note: please no obvious posts along the lines of you shouldn't have smoked, etc.

I would think that is the reason, there are plenty of applicants out there who are equally or maybe even less qualified who have zero drug history. It's better for you to be up front and honest about it rather than have it come out in a poly, that would look 100 times worse. I would keep applying, eventually there will be enough time between your drug use and application for a department to put your past behind you.

Good luck.

Comment

I'm not a sworn officer yet, but I am involved in many hiring processes at the moment, as well. There are a couple questions that need answered in order to evaluate your situation more clearly, and I will explain.

1. What state are you in? Some states have minimum guideline use. For example, I process places in the DC/MD/VA area, and I took a prescription drug once that wasn't mine. Most of the departments were fine and accepted that, but one in MD had to temporarily DQ me until 3 years passes (which I am coming up on)

2. How many times did you smoke marijuana? I never tried it, but I bet this all depends on how long your experimental period lasted. Most departments forgive some smoking, but usually have a maximum number of times that they will tolerate it.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by spotkd View Post
        I recently applied to a major metropolitan police department and almost instantly I was told I did not meet the minimum requirements based on the departments decision rules. The following is the needed background to my question.

I disclosed everything in my application for the obvious reason that it is better to be upfront. I have no criminal incidents of any sort, very few traffic violations over a long span, but I do have a small drug past. I had an experimental period with marijuana that lasted only a few months, however this experimental period was a little over a year and a half ago. As well I tried a prescription drug on two occasions while in high school.

I come from a law enforcement family and am in the process of finishing law school this year. I am in great shape and outside of my drug past I believe I am an exceptional candidate.

Am I getting denied automatically because of this drug past?

Note: please no obvious posts along the lines of you shouldn't have smoked, etc.
        Total, WAG on my part but I think your problem might be the drugs...
        He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High
        shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
        - Psalm 91:1

On Ignore - A few folks.

Comment

Find out the drug policy of the agencies you are apply for. If the policy states you must be drug free for three years (which seems to be pretty common), that is what they mean.

Why were you smoking dope as a law school student?

Comment

Originally posted by aaskey View Post
            I'm not a sworn officer yet, but I am involved in many hiring processes at the moment, as well. There are a couple questions that need answered in order to evaluate your situation more clearly, and I will explain.

1. What state are you in? Some states have minimum guideline use. For example, I process places in the DC/MD/VA area, and I took a prescription drug once that wasn't mine. Most of the departments were fine and accepted that, but one in MD had to temporarily DQ me until 3 years passes (which I am coming up on)

2. How many times did you smoke marijuana? I never tried it, but I bet this all depends on how long your experimental period lasted. Most departments forgive some smoking, but usually have a maximum number of times that they will tolerate it.

Hope this helps.
            Thanks for the replies.

I applied to an agency in GA and the use was over a 6 month period and was probably close to 10 times. It's something I obviously wish I would have with held from but at the time I didn't think I would see myself as a law enforcement officer.

I will keep applying, it is just very discouraging to feel that I may not qualify for any department because of this.

Comment

You would be surprised at the amount of drugs and variety of drugs lawyers and in turn law school students use. As for the policies I have looked but some departments don't place theirs upfront or are very vague about it.

Comment

That is the reason...................depending on the department ANY usage CAN result in a disqualification.

The prescription drug incident CAN be considered a felony in some jurisdictions and would most likely create a permanent DQ
                You are not an exceptional candidate.

You are/were a drug user..............Most departments have minimum time frames between usage and consideration for employment. That varies from department to department but 2-5 yrs is not unusual

You also do not define your "experimental period" but not only is time a factor but the NUMBER of instances of drug usage is taken into account. If you go over the maximum for a certain department you can be disqualified for LIFE.

The fact that you "come from a Law Enforcement family" has ABSOLUTELY no bearing on your status

You don't get to dictate how the questions are answered.
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

You would be surprised at the amount of drugs and variety of drugs lawyers and in turn law school students use. As for the policies I have looked but some departments don't place theirs upfront or are very vague about it.
                  1st OFF: Actually, nothing surprises me anymore. Further, it matters not what others do, it matters what you do. Your allusion that because some law student is hitting the pipe or popping pills has anything to do with your past and failure to meet the reasonable standards is a potential indicator of your unsuitability for the law enforcement profession.

There are several reasons why some agencies tend to not provide their cutoff limits, the one at the forefront is the propensity of some applicants to miss-remember the number to something under the threshold. While some agencies such as the Drug Enforcement Administration are very upfront about their policy in regards to past drug use, others such as the ones you are familiar with are not so much so.

10 times using marijuana is pushing the generally standard limit for most agencies and in most cases, you would need at-least 5 years since you last used marijuana before an agency would even consider you as an applicant. While some departments will look at an applicant as a whole; taking into account the timeframe, frequency, time elapsed and such; others simply say 10 times is an automatic and forever disqualifier. As for the prescription drugs, that is in itself another matter. The type of prescription drug and circumstances surrounding its use would be highly scrutinized and again, you would need to put at-least 5 years between that incident and any application to a law enforcement agency.

Take some time to read through the boards and use the search function. In 99.9999% of the case, you will find answers to your questions.
                  Last edited by sgt jon; 09-06-2011, 11:35 AM.
                  Originally posted by SSD
                  It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
                  Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                  And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

I've seen officers who have used LSD, had past convictions for assault, and worse who still got the job. The polygraph is a crock anyone can pass that. The polygraph does not measure lies it measures body response. I doubt using some marijuana is why you got axed.

Comment

I would rather have someone who smoked marijuana 10 times sitting in the car beside me than some kid who got his *** kicked in high school, never had any life experiences, and wants to use his badge to push people around like he got pushed around.

Comment

Originally posted by DDixon1000 View Post
                        I would rather have someone who smoked marijuana 10 times sitting in the car beside me than some kid who got his *** kicked in high school, never had any life experiences, and wants to use his badge to push people around like he got pushed around.
                        I never used any drugs but I also didn't get my *** kicked in high school and have plenty of life experiences.........just saying.

Comment

I appreciate the responses and the criticism. Best of luck to anyone already on the road or behind a desk and to those who keep pursuing a position.

Comment

Apply to the CIA. They only require 1 year between drug usage. But on a serious note just keep applying. Every agency has their own requirements and a lot of agencies are moving to the FBI standards. I had a good friend apply to my agency and get denied because of a prescription drug that he took years ago. He applied back home and got a job. So if you get DQ'd from one agency, apply to others. But like others have said, you need to get a few years between the smoking of the ganja.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6942 users online. 244 members and 6698 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X