300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rampage13 View Post
    While, USBP is a great Agency, USPP is more like a actual Police Department. If you want the freedom to do whatever you want on the streets and have the ability to find your own groove and work ethic Park is for you. As for the comment that it takes you 33 years to top at on pay that is BS. If you knew anything about FE Law Enforcement 25 years is mandatory retirement or at 55 years of age which every comes first. So sorry your math doesn't add up. As well as I am a 3rd year officer and I made 68K last year. Locality pay changes epending on your assignment SFFO makes the most, follow by NYFO then NCR ( National Capitol Region).
    In your 3 years on have you looked at a pay scale? The top step on the pay scale is reached at year 30 and to get your retirement based on that salary you have to work 3 years at that salary. That equals 33 years. Also, 25 years is not mandatory retirement neither is 55 years of age. You are forced to retire when you are 57 years old. The amount of service time does not factor into mandatory retirement. 25 years is the minimum to be eligible to retire unless you are over 50 years old then it is 20 years of service.

If you have the option to choose between the two agencies, you have put yourself in a pretty good position. We can state the pros and cons of each agency all day but it comes down to where you want to live, the border or the burbs of a big city.

Comment

Yes a lot of stations are in small border towns, but there are a lot of stations on the southern and northern border, that are in great areas. Yes there are Border Patrol operations in or near Miami, Jacksonville, Orlando, Detroit, Buffalo, Dallas, El Paso, Corpus Christi, Albuquerque, San Antonio, San Diego, Tucson, Phoenix, etc.

Also I like to think in terms of opportunity. There are more special details and collateral duties than I can name in Border Patrol. When I first visited my station, I was told that guys with less than 2 years were becoming K-9 handlers. Guys with only a few years were becoming Supervisors. Since the agency is so big, the opportunities are great.

As for pay, it is an automatic GS-12 position. With AUO and FLSA, almost everyone makes $100,000+ at the top level. We make as much as some 1811's, which is pretty good considering we are a uniformed agency.

Now if your goal is to work a job that is most similar to a local PD, Border Patrol might not be for you.
      What is Perseverance?
      -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
      -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
      -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Everybody, thank you for the information posted... well, except USMARINE, the information being posted is definitely something that cannot be found on GOOGLE. I have never been in LE but I am not too worried about the firearms and physical aspect of the position. Plus, I am a fast learner that I can think pull through the academics.

A LOT of food for thought has been posted on both sides of the fence. Hopefully, this thread will continue to grow and spawn some others to ask specific questions other than hiring requirements. I do want to make a good choice and try to minimize the agency jumping. Again thank you all for the information posted so far. Lets keep it going....

One last thing is I've tried to look up the USPP Pay Schedule and can't find it on OPM. Can someone post me the link to see where to find it? Finally, I know in BPA you must fill out a qualification sheet to get either GS 5/7/9 does the same apply to USPP? Again, thank you for the information....

Comment

Go look at the USPP pay scale and tell me different. You do sound like an misinformed three year officer.

Originally posted by Rampage13 View Post
          While, USBP is a great Agency, USPP is more like a actual Police Department. If you want the freedom to do whatever you want on the streets and have the ability to find your own groove and work ethic Park is for you. As for the comment that it takes you 33 years to top at on pay that is BS. If you knew anything about FE Law Enforcement 25 years is mandatory retirement or at 55 years of age which every comes first. So sorry your math doesn't add up. As well as I am a 3rd year officer and I made 68K last year. Locality pay changes epending on your assignment SFFO makes the most, follow by NYFO then NCR ( National Capitol Region).
          Last edited by JadedUSPP; 09-07-2011, 10:57 AM.

Comment

I've only seen former UD officers get their pay matched. This is because both are in the SP series. There has been the occasional MPD officer whose salary had been matched.

Originally posted by Tier1 View Post
            Everybody, thank you for the information posted... well, except USMARINE, the information being posted is definitely something that cannot be found on GOOGLE. I have never been in LE but I am not too worried about the firearms and physical aspect of the position. Plus, I am a fast learner that I can think pull through the academics.

A LOT of food for thought has been posted on both sides of the fence. Hopefully, this thread will continue to grow and spawn some others to ask specific questions other than hiring requirements. I do want to make a good choice and try to minimize the agency jumping. Again thank you all for the information posted so far. Lets keep it going....

One last thing is I've tried to look up the USPP Pay Schedule and can't find it on OPM. Can someone post me the link to see where to find it? Finally, I know in BPA you must fill out a qualification sheet to get either GS 5/7/9 does the same apply to USPP? Again, thank you for the information....

Comment

Go with the Park Police. You will be in DC and you can make money when you want with arrests. The Patrol can be a fantastic job but it's a crap shoot with where you get stationed and the type of work, details and training available to you. In the Patrol you will more than likely be stuck in some third world hell hole w/o any decent chance of escaping for years and years. Depending on where you work it can take years to get any decent training or good details. I work for the USBP in a desired location and I'm telling you to go with the USPP.

Comment

I say if you want both jobs (and aware that the jobs are very, very different) then you should probably take whichever one you are offered first. I think that some of what people are saying about locations of USBP stations is a bit overstated. Most stations, even if they are in a remote, crappy location are within a reasonable commute to a decent place to live. My current station is located in an absolute dump of a town, but I live in a nice suburb of Tucson. My commute is ~50 minutes and we carpool. My last station was in a dumpy town as well, but I lived in Corpus Christi, which wasn't exactly a "third-world hellhole" either.

There are a few less desirable stations like Ajo, Lordsburg, Blythe, Presidio, Sanderson, but it seems like Ajo is the only one of those locations that they are regularly sending a lot of new hires to. Even with Ajo, teh work is good there, and a bunch of the agents make the ridiculously long commute to Buckeye or Maricopa so they usually have vanpools available.

One thing to consider is that most of the border areas, with the exception of San Diego, have really low housing costs. In most of AZ you can get a really nice house for real cheap, and if you don't want to buy immediately there is a glut of rentals in the bigger cities, so you can rent a nice house for the cost of renting a dumpy apartment someplace else. You really can live well on a BPA salary in most border areas. Something to consider too is that if you go with USPP you will probably have to commute a good ways as well. Houses in the DC area are expensive, unless you choose to live in an apartment or a condo you will probably have to live a decent ways out of the city to be able to afford an actual house in an area with decent schools.

As far as opportunities for training, details, etc, in the USBP, the huge growth from the recent hiring push has opened a lot of opportunities for people. There have been people getting choice details and training with < 2 years in (at least at my station). The downside is that the big hiring push has passed, so if you come in now you will be competing with a whole lot of people that have a couple of years of seniority on you.

I guess my point is that both agencies are good choices (even though the work is very different). I still would suggest taking the first job offer you get as long as you know that you are really interested in both jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by FriscoFed View Post
                  The Golden Gate Bridge is actually under the California Highway Patrol not us (thank god).

SFFO has the Presidio, Ocean Beach, Marin Headlands, Aquatic Park, etc. We have about 6,000 people that live on our property so that introduces a lot of other problems you might not see in other districts/field offices. It just adds to the variety of the job.
                  I know that USPP and NPS LE Rangers can and do patrol some of the same areas. However I thought that the Marin Headlands tended to fall more under the LE Rangers patrol area?

Comment

Originally posted by wildlife97 View Post
                    I know that USPP and NPS LE Rangers can and do patrol some of the same areas. However I thought that the Marin Headlands tended to fall more under the LE Rangers patrol area?
                    We have a unit in the Marin Headlands as well as one that patrols some of the southern parts of the GGNRA (Ocean Beach, Funston, etc.). Both of these units patrol alongside NPS LE Rangers. The only part of the GGNRA where we don't patrol alongside one another is the Presidio, not including the coastal areas like Crissy Field and Ocean Beach.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8780 users online. 390 members and 8390 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X