300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USPP vs BPA

Hi everyone, I am trying to gather some input on the US Park Police and Border Patrol Agent. Any input on the positions would be great. I know both are great FLEO positions to start out in and finish in. What I'm looking for is why one over the other? As a USPP do you feel more like a patrol officer vs BPA? Is USPP as active as BPA (I know they have different missions but I'm curious about terms of being active)? What are some pros and cons to both positions? If anyone had to do it over again would you pick the same job? What about location? Thanks for the information....

www.google.com
    "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
    I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

Originally posted by Tier1 View Post
      Hi everyone, I am trying to gather some input on the US Park Police and Border Patrol Agent. Any input on the positions would be great. I know both are great FLEO positions to start out in and finish in. What I'm looking for is why one over the other? As a USPP do you feel more like a patrol officer vs BPA? Is USPP as active as BPA (I know they have different missions but I'm curious about terms of being active)? What are some pros and cons to both positions? If anyone had to do it over again would you pick the same job? What about location? Thanks for the information....
      While USMARINE does have a point in that a Google search (or search of past threads here) could provide answers to your questions, I'll touch on a few questions you had with what I've heard (I've never worked for USBP or USPP, but have had coworkers who worked previously for both).

USBP- engaged in the front lines of the border wars (hence the name of their TV reality show), good deal of outdoor work outside of a patrol unit. Very well respected agency, lots of their alumni in the 1811 ranks, and from what I've been told they have a very punishing (physically and academically) academy in Artesia, NM.

USPP- very similar to the work done with a large metro PD (very atypical for federal 0083 positions), good equipment and also very well respected. Train at basic uniformed course at FLETCY Glynco (I believe).

As far as whether one feels more like a patrol officer at one or the other, or if one is more active than the other, you'd have to ask someone who worked for both for an objective answer (which I doubt you'll likely find).
      sigpic

Comment

I have never worked for either agency, but they are both respected agencies and in my opinion good jobs. If I were looking to choose one or the other, I would choose USPP simply because I would rather live in the DC area. If I was trying to get a job with a federal law enforcement agency, I would apply to both and take the first job offered, and never look back.

Comment

[QUOTE=Tier1;2871902]Hi everyone, I am trying to gather some input on the US Park Police and Border Patrol Agent. Any input on the positions would be great. I know both are great FLEO positions to start out in and finish in. What I'm looking for is why one over the other? As a USPP do you feel more like a patrol officer vs BPA? Is USPP as active as BPA (I know they have different missions but I'm curious about terms of being active)? What are some pros and cons to both positions? If anyone had to do it over again would you pick the same job? What about location? Thanks for the information....[/QUOTE

USPP are basically like city/state police in the DC area with primary jurisdication on Federal Property, we have stations in San Fran and NY. San Fran we are the primary police on the Presido and golden gate bridge. NY we are basically security for the Statue of liberty with Federal Parks in Brooklyn; theres not much action in NY. I work in DC there is alot of action with alot of opportunities to real police work; patrol, narcotics, plainclothes, K9, swat, horsemount, motors etc. Its a great agency with alot of opportunity.

Comment

The Golden Gate Bridge is actually under the California Highway Patrol not us (thank god).

SFFO has the Presidio, Ocean Beach, Marin Headlands, Aquatic Park, etc. We have about 6,000 people that live on our property so that introduces a lot of other problems you might not see in other districts/field offices. It just adds to the variety of the job.

Comment

Don't go into the USBP expecting to do regular police work. We have a very specific mission. There are good opportunities in both agencies. Just make sure you realize the difference in authorities between a BPA and a USPP officer.

Keep in mind where you're going to be stationed.

USPP will station you in areas that most people would consider decent places to live. The USBP...not so much. You might get lucky and get stationed in or near a decent city, but more than likely, its a varying degrees of rat holes on the border. Alot of agents get hired without realizing what type of place they are moving to.
              Last edited by Cyber_Saint; 09-06-2011, 02:38 AM.

Comment

BPA is journeyman GS-12, hows the pay with PP?

Comment

Originally posted by 8USC1229 View Post
                  BPA is journeyman GS-12, hows the pay with PP?
                  Pay is on the SP band (similar to USCP and Secret Service UD) You start around 52K in the academy and top out around 100K (it takes a while to top out though). That's not including OT, night diff, tech pay if you go specialized etc.

I will let some of the DC guys speak on their pay, but out here you can easily be making 75K plus in 3 years without working a lot of overtime. I know guys that have like 4 or 5 years on making over 100K, but this is the Bay Area so take that for what it is worth.

Comment

Go with the BPA. The USPP, while nationwide operates with a small town metality. There are only 600 or so sworn officers. The BPA academy is very challenging, and earning AUO is a great benifit once you hit the Sector. All the former BPA's that are now USPP only left the BPA to come back to the east coast.

The USPP is on the SP pay plan and that takes 33 years of service to max out all of the steps. To get over 100K a year, know the phrase, "collars for dollars."

Ask yourself this, what would happen if the USBP was not on the border? The answer is, and I quote Mr. Toby Keith, there would be a "tidal wave comming across the Mexican border." The USBP is needed. If the USPP were to disappear, other agencies are close by to take up the slack.
                    Last edited by JadedUSPP; 09-06-2011, 10:46 AM.

Comment

In DC if you basically make your own salary; if you are proactive you will get a ton of OT with court. Heck Ive had people take me to court for parking tickets! Also if your a night person your salary will jump anywhere from 6k to 14k more a year; thats not including holiday pay. Im on 2yrs with night diff and holiday my base is about 64k; with OT I should be around 90k. I take plenty of time off; also we work 3 and 4 day work week so 1 extra day a week will give you 40-50 hours a month OT and I still have 2 or 3 days off a week.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber_Saint View Post

Keep in mind where you're going to be stationed.

USPP will station you in areas that most people would consider decent places to live. The USBP...not so much. You might get lucky and get stationed in or near a decent city, but more than likely, its a varying degrees of rat holes on the border. Alot of agents get hired without realizing what type of place they are moving to.
                        Would you be able to provide specific examples of these rat holes, or at least provide where one could find more information of where they would be stationed? I assume most of these areas are not ideal, but is it possible to safely raise a family in these areas?

Comment

Originally posted by Mjaga View Post
                          Would you be able to provide specific examples of these rat holes, or at least provide where one could find more information of where they would be stationed? I assume most of these areas are not ideal, but is it possible to safely raise a family in these areas?
                          Places like Naco, Douglas, Ajo, come to mind in Arizona, Texas and New Mexico has its fair share of stations that are kind of out in the middle of nowhere. Alot of guys coming from other parts fo the country have problems with living in the border towns. I personally, think the majority of the border area is a dump. You never know, you may get lucky and get sent to a San Diego station.

Its what you make of it. And yes, you can safely raise a family here. You may have to commute over an hour one-way to get to work in some cases due to lack of decent schools and respectable communities near the station. That isn't the norm, but there are stations where that kind of thing is common.

Comment

Originally posted by JadedUSPP View Post
                            Go with the BPA. The USPP, while nationwide operates with a small town metality. There are only 600 or so sworn officers. The BPA academy is very challenging, and earning AUO is a great benifit once you hit the Sector. All the former BPA's that are now USPP only left the BPA to come back to the east coast.

The USPP is on the SP pay plan and that takes 33 years of service to max out all of the steps. To get over 100K a year, know the phrase, "collars for dollars."

Ask yourself this, what would happen if the USBP was not on the border? The answer is, and I quote Mr. Toby Keith, there would be a "tidal wave comming across the Mexican border." The USBP is needed. If the USPP were to disappear, other agencies are close by to take up the slack.
                            While, USBP is a great Agency, USPP is more like a actual Police Department. If you want the freedom to do whatever you want on the streets and have the ability to find your own groove and work ethic Park is for you. As for the comment that it takes you 33 years to top at on pay that is BS. If you knew anything about FE Law Enforcement 25 years is mandatory retirement or at 55 years of age which every comes first. So sorry your math doesn't add up. As well as I am a 3rd year officer and I made 68K last year. Locality pay changes epending on your assignment SFFO makes the most, follow by NYFO then NCR ( National Capitol Region).

Comment

Originally posted by Rampage13 View Post
                              As for the comment that it takes you 33 years to top at on pay that is BS. If you knew anything about FE Law Enforcement 25 years is mandatory retirement or at 55 years of age which every comes first. So sorry your math doesn't add up.
                              You might want to go to a retirement seminar, because you don't understand the federal retirement system at all.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6298 users online. 207 members and 6091 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X