300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips on my resume?

This is my first resume and I wanted some criticism.

I am completely aware of my misspelling of customer....twice.
    I have obviously blurred certain information.
    Any criticism would be greatly appreciated, I tried to be honest and not sound like an egotistical blathering idiot.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/k.../resumepng.png
    Last edited by TLM4590; 08-30-2011, 11:45 PM. Reason: image too small

I don't want to burst your bubble, but most law enforcement agencies don't accept resumes as they are nothing but self aggrandizing BS. There are some exceptions, but the vast majority only require a basic application and throw any attachments (like a resume or letters of recommendation) in the trash.

The only purpose of the application is to determine if you possess the minimum qualifications for admission to the testing process, If you do, you will be evaluated on the number of correct answers you give to job related questions on written and oral exams. These questions are a lot more accurate at measuring you actual ability to do the job that just taking your word for it in a resume. The more correct answers you give, the higher your score. People are traditionally hired in the order of their score (highest first, next highest second, etc.)

Here's what I mean about resumes being meaningless BS

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

^^^ One exception, sir. If you're applying at the Federal level.

I assure you, for the Feds, resumes certainly DO matter......
      Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

Comment

Originally posted by QuietPro View Post
        ^^^ One exception, sir. If you're applying at the Federal level.

I assure you, for the Feds, resumes certainly DO matter......
        You are absolutely correct sir. That is why I qualified my response with phrases like "most law enforcement agencies," "there are some exceptions," and "the vast majority." Perhaps you missed that.

Most questions posed here are in terms of state, county and city law enforcement agencies which comprise the majority of the nation's police departments. My response was in the context of those agencies. I hope that clears things up for you.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I'm going to be blunt... It sucks. Go do some research on "professional resumes" AND cover letters. Put some time and money into it, it could mean a job in the future....

Good luck.

Comment

If you are seeking continued employment in customer service or trade related positions, this may pass as marginal. While you have tied some of the key attributes to experience, you have used some of the most commonly abused jargon seen on resumes that were written without true regards for what hiring managers are looking for. If you are seeking a position in law enforcement, as already noted, a resume is superfluous and your efforts would be better invested in honing your articulation skills.

If there is a career center at your local college or offered by the local job council, pay them a visit. Failing that, do some Google-fo and research resume tips.
            Originally posted by SSD
            It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
            Originally posted by Iowa #1603
            And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

You spelled "irrate" wrong.

If you are looking to get into police work, a resume is a waste of time. People interviewing for command positions need resumes, people trying to break into the field don't.

Comment

Ty - it's not bad. Entry level is entry level, and it lays out your work history. If the places you're applying need a resume, then that's a good start.

Check your spelling of: excells vs excels costumer vs customer mandantory vs mandatory and irrate vs irate

and 'keeping an clean work environment' should be 'a'

I would find another word for 'haste' as it connotes excessive speed or rushing a bit.

Apart from that - good start.

Comment

This is actually for a detention officer position (mandatory time in jail before patrol) and the department requires a resume be attached. As I said before I am aware of the spelling errors this is primarily a rough draft.
                  However I do appreciate the honestly in all responses and I very much agree that resumes are really nothing more than bragging on yourself unless you include actually impressive achievements or qualifications....pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by TLM4590 View Post
                    This is actually for a detention officer position (mandatory time in jail before patrol) and the department requires a resume be attached. As I said before I am aware of the spelling errors this is primarily a rough draft.
                    However I do appreciate the honestly in all responses and I very much agree that resumes are really nothing more than bragging on yourself unless you include actually impressive achievements or qualifications....pointless.
                    I got great advice from guys on the forum here, so listen to what they tell you it's 100% accurate. I was able to get one from a Army soldier, and his resume was impressive to say the least. But the format he had is great, if you want i can show you what mine looks like and you can borrow the template?

Comment

cactus that would be great. I still like the format and layout of my resume its just I think I could reword things and exclude or include more information.

Comment

Honestly the template is a bit unprofessional. Id consider doing one without a table format.

Comment

I highly recommend signing up for usajobs.gov and building a resume on there. They have a good template.

Comment

You should invest in a resume service, this one is horrible (not trying to be a jerk)

Drop the mission statement and remove any colors
                            Put your work exp under name
                            Place education info under work info
                            Then have a section for additional skills (Language skills, EMT, Nunchucks)

Originally posted by str8shooter View Post
                            Honestly the template is a bit unprofessional. Id consider doing one without a table format.

Comment

Thanks again for the criticism but I was told by an employee of the dept. to include a mission statement on the resume and to try to keep it all in 1 page.

I am EXTREMELY thankful for all the help.
                              Last edited by TLM4590; 08-31-2011, 08:33 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11959 users online. 450 members and 11509 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X