300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Departments in Need

I currently live in CT, where law enforcement jobs can be hard to come by. And I am considering moving out of state for a career in LE.

There are a few states that I am considering Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, North/South Carolina, Florida, Vermont, New Hampshire and I am possibly open to more. I am not interested in Rhode Island, Mass, NY, or NJ.

The thing is, I want to find a department that is in need of officers. Or does not have an application process that strings people along for months or even years. Now, I am not looking for a crappy department that has no requirements and is filled with incompetents. But here in CT we have one opening and 200 applicants. I am hoping for better odds.

I'd also prefer a starting salary $40k +

So from what you all know, who needs help?

Burlington, VT police dept. www.bpdvt.org

Las Vegas Metropolitan Polcie. www.lvmpd.com

Comment

Vermont State Police
      Maryland State Police (also check out the county departments)
      NH State Police (open now)
      PA State Police (open now)
      Virginia State Police (open now)

Lots of federal options also but you missed the binge from a few years ago.

Once the economy turns there should be a significant hiring spree, many department haven't hired much since 08

Originally posted by lastdon519 View Post
      Burlington, VT police dept. www.bpdvt.org

Las Vegas Metropolitan Polcie. www.lvmpd.com

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I never thought of LVMPD, seems like a place where you can get plenty of experience, quickly. I like that.

Comment

I'm in CT too, it's definitely tough, especially now. Did you look into taking your LEC? Alot of local departments participate in that.

Comment

I have looked into it. But there are not many departments I really want to work for in CT. The ones I would be interested in are New Haven, Bridgeport and Hartford. New Haven would be number one.

Comment

Forgot to mention that MD State and Balt City both have 4 day out of state programs...very fast track.

You will see more action in Bloodymore in 5 years than most will see in a career...its not joke

Originally posted by RightCoastBias View Post
              Thanks for the quick responses guys. I never thought of LVMPD, seems like a place where you can get plenty of experience, quickly. I like that.

Comment

Originally posted by UD4LIFE View Post
                Forgot to mention that MD State and Balt City both have 4 day out of state programs...very fast track.

You will see more action in Bloodymore in 5 years than most will see in a career...its not joke

Hmm, Baltimore. That's not a bad idea, still driving distance back to the family in CT. Also LVMPD sounds good, but I still haven't come to terms with being on the other side of the country from the family.

Again, great ideas guys, thanks, keep em coming!

Comment

I would recommend MSP over Balt City...more job security, take home, and Bmore is a dump.

MD is really nice state overall. Beaches on eastern shore, central MD very urban, and western MD is mountains.

Originally posted by RightCoastBias View Post
                  Hmm, Baltimore. That's not a bad idea, still driving distance back to the family in CT. Also LVMPD sounds good, but I still haven't come to terms with being on the other side of the country from the family.

Again, great ideas guys, thanks, keep em coming!

Comment

I am not sure if you like Texas but the Houston Police Department is hiring and has good pay and benefits.

http://www.houstontx.gov/police/career/index.htm

Comment

Blue, thanks for the info. But I am not currently considering Texas.

Comment

I was talking to a guy that used to work for Huston and he was saying how they are starting to take some of the benefits away. Also that if you want vacation time you have to schedule it at least 6 months in advance

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Steel View Post
                          I am not sure if you like Texas but the Houston Police Department is hiring and has good pay and benefits.

http://www.houstontx.gov/police/career/index.htm
                          I just looked at the pay scale and it looks terrible. Forget having to schedule vacation 6 months in advance, I don't know how an officer could pay to go anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by UD4LIFE View Post

Just wanted to correct this. Unfortunately, Baltimore City hasn't had the 4 day out of state process for awhile. They now do 2 day out of state processes. I believe all it encompasses is the written, PT, and maybe the written psych or just turn in your background info.... It took me 27 days to get hired when I did the 4 day process. Now I believe you are looking at anywhere from 3-7 months if you do the 2 day process. Take a look at the BPD thread in the Maryland forum, it is very informative (and extremely long but worth it).

If you are looking to stay somewhat close to Connecticut, then Maryland is a good choice. I moved to the state for the job and if I could do it over again, I probably would have chosen elsewhere than this state, but to each their own! Good luck

Comment

I worked in B'more for 10 years. I would highly recommend going there, getting experience that most don't get in an entire career and moving on to greener pastures.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12253 users online. 549 members and 11704 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X