Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice for my 19 yr old (Park Ranger/LE) (Sheriff Corrections/College)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FireControlman
    replied
    Originally posted by LIcoastie View Post
    Hes young just finish the degree first. Corrections and Police work will still be there when he's done.
    You have an excellent point. Our discussions have centered on gaining experience while completing his education rather than just volunteering somewhere or working a lame *** job.

Leave a comment:

• FireControlman
    replied
    The cost of paying for an undergrad degree is not so relevant.
    Last edited by FireControlman; 04-29-2012, 06:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MDPD4LYFE
    replied
    Completely agree with the previous post. Go active duty, and do your four years. Then have the government pay for your degree!

Leave a comment:

• jandrews6
    replied
    Sir,

This sounds just like my life when I was 19 years old. Enlisted in the Navy, backed out (active duty). Enlisted in CG Reserves and have been in for the last three years. Two of which I have spent on active duty. My advice, go active duty, I regret not doing so. So many more benefits especially with the Post 9/11 GI Bill are available after four years of ACTIVE Service. I feel that I have limited my opportunities by not doing so.

Houston PD, Seattle PD, Portland PD, Virginia Beach PD, New Orleans PD and most other major police agencies. What do they have in common you ask? Hiring requirements, must have 1) Two year degree or 2) four years active duty service with the military.

Further, I think most everyone else on this forum will agree with me. No one is getting hired to work corrections at 19. If they did, I want to move to where you live and start my career.

Here I am 22 years old with 18 months roughly active service and 36 college units. If I could do it over again, I would have gone active then used the Post 9/11 Gi Bill to get my degree and then tried to get picked up. Just my opinion. Good luck...

LIcoastie, PM incoming....

Leave a comment:

• FireControlman
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim1648 View Post
    Is the outlook for the United States Coast Guard any different than the United States Navy, or are they likely to be pretty similar?
    Yes, the Coast Guard is building the right ships for the right reasons; however, things like the G.I. Bill, our retirement, and manning levels are currently being considered for the chopping block in hopes of slashing the budget.

Leave a comment:

• Jim1648
    replied
    Advice For My 19 Year Old (Park Ranger/LE) (Sheriff Corrections/College)

Originally posted by FireControlman View Post
    .....In any case, I am a career Navy man and I have counseled him repeatedly on his opportunities with Navy and other branches for that matter. The state of the Navy and the direction it is heading with respect to the fleet, retirement and benefits, is really causing me to dissuade the active-duty option.....
    Is the outlook for the United States Coast Guard any different than the United States Navy, or are they likely to be pretty similar?

Leave a comment:

• LIcoastie
    replied
    Hes young just finish the degree first. Corrections and Police work will still be there when he's done.

Leave a comment:

• Advice for my 19 yr old (Park Ranger/LE) (Sheriff Corrections/College)

I've read the threads here about NPS Park Rangers and have a basic understanding of the pro's and con's, but, I would really like to hear your input for this young man.

Current plan:

(short-term) - 19 yr old attending community college with current intention of enlisting in the Navy or Coast Guard. He is open to both active and reserve opportunities, however, is leaning more towards reserves. Goal is transfer from local community college to the state college and complete undergrad while serving and gaining valuable life and work experience.

(long-term) - After undergraduate studies are completed, work in LE and then enter into a Physician's Assistant program or become an anesthesiologists.

Modified Plan(s): (under discussion)

1) Attend a Seasonal Law Enforcement Training Program as soon as possible, work a few seasons while taking a couple of online courses and then off-season taking as many classes possible between campus/online offerings back home. Upon completion of degree, pursue full-time park ranger with other fed/state/local agencies or full-time non-ranger LE with FED, state, or local LE. If the desire to enter a PA program or become an anesthesiologist remains, of course, he would move in that direction.

2) Apply for local sheriff dept (corrections) minimum age is 18, attend academy at local college. Later if desired, move over to fed, state or other sworn local LE. With this option he would like to enter the USCG or Navy Reserves (local unit).

In any case, I am a career Navy man and I have counseled him repeatedly on his opportunities with Navy and other branches for that matter. The state of the Navy and the direction it is heading with respect to the fleet, retirement and benefits, is really causing me to dissuade the active-duty option. My wife and I have no problem with him being at home and doing the community college thing. I'd rather he not work Taco Bell or Blockbuster and instead study, read books, or continue his volunteering as a little league coach. The kid, or rather, young man, has an outstanding drive, positive mental attitude, and is physically fit. He does not have the jacked-up attributes of most of the idiot, no-bearing, no class, hip-hip punks, whatever you want to call them, you see on the streets and sometimes even in military uniform.

Your thoughts are appreciated.
    Last edited by FireControlman; 08-14-2011, 07:23 PM.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8470 users online. 394 members and 8076 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X