300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Retirement Pensions

We were talking at work the other day about how lucky were still are to have defined benefit retirements. The question came up about retiring at age 50 vs. age 55, etc. One person suggested that if an officer were to retire at age 50 and go work for another government employer, even if the salary were lower, it would be more advantageous than staying with the current employer because they would be getting:

-A Pension Annuity, and

-A Salary

It sounds to me like it is comparing apples to oranges, but I would love to hear from coppers that have retired at age 50, but then gone top work for another government employer, is it as sweet as it sounds? How do you determine if it is more advantageous to stay where you are vs. retiring, drawing a pension, AND another salary?

Absolutely.....it's called double dippin

Very common occurrence
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

You see it a lot in the feds with military guys. They retire from the military and then get a federal job.
      What is Perseverance?
      -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
      -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
      -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

You're gonna see that with me when I retire from my fed job (pretty soon) and go to work for a state or county.
        They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

Ah! Double-dipping!

My county pension goes right to the bank and my federal salary buys what I need and my toys...

Cha-ching $$$$$
          "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7119 users online. 349 members and 6770 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X