300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE: Park Ranger GA

Anybody else apply for the park ranger position out here in Kennesaw GA? I hate the waiting game with FED jobs, it can get lonely

Hey I saw that announcement. Looks like a ton of fun. I know there's not a lot open right now, and I see you're located in GA. So you're looking to stay local?
    Are you a SLETP grad (Type II commission)? Or are you one of those people I envy that can jump right into a Type I permanent gig?

Best advice I can give if it feels slow is to make as much contact with folks in the agency. Do any ride-alongs? Volunteer work? Ask the Chief or Dist Ranger for a "Hi I want to work for you, can you give me any tips?" meeting?

I'm in Las Vegas, not ready to relocate, and there's nothing here right now as far as LE ranger is concerned. There are some general interp positions open with USFS and BLM, but they're continuous temp recruitments. I have until May 2013 until my SLETP academy cert expires, so I'm going to hold out a little longer here before I look at moving...

Best of luck. Keep us posted.
    DISCLAIMER: On my forum name... a Nat'l Park Service LE position is my goal, not my current role. When I created it, I didn't mean to imply I'm a sworn federal officer. Someday, though!

Graduate of 121st Ranger Academy class @ NPS Seasonal Law Enforcement Training Program, 03/2011 (Santa Rosa, CA)

Comment

Last edited by marauder85; 09-26-2016, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NPS_LE View Post
        I'm in Las Vegas, not ready to relocate, and there's nothing here right now as far as LE ranger is concerned. There are some general interp positions open with USFS and BLM, but they're continuous temp recruitments. I have until May 2013 until my SLETP academy cert expires, so I'm going to hold out a little longer here before I look at moving...

Best of luck. Keep us posted.
        Did you see or apply for the Lake Mead & Mohave positions?

Comment

Originally posted by AZDesertRat View Post
          Did you see or apply for the Lake Mead & Mohave positions?
          Last position at LAME I saw posted was a GS-9 perm, which closed in March or something. I wasn't even done with my SLETP until mid-March. And given that one of my amazing instructors from WHIS (SETT, EMT, DT Instructor, etc.) was pursuing it, I figured it was pretty competitive.

I really really thought about MOJA but it was just too much for my family situation. Own a house in Vegas and have a wife and 18-mo twins. Neither commuting nor park housing would have worked ideally enough, considering how much time on my L2 eligiblity is left. (And who knows, I might hire directly into a FLETC-track perm position with BLM or USFS...)

Where are you, Rat?
          DISCLAIMER: On my forum name... a Nat'l Park Service LE position is my goal, not my current role. When I created it, I didn't mean to imply I'm a sworn federal officer. Someday, though!

Graduate of 121st Ranger Academy class @ NPS Seasonal Law Enforcement Training Program, 03/2011 (Santa Rosa, CA)

Comment

Last position at LAME I saw posted was a GS-9 perm, which closed in March or something. I wasn't even done with my SLETP until mid-March. And given that one of my amazing instructors from WHIS (SETT, EMT, DT Instructor, etc.) was pursuing it, I figured it was pretty competitive.

I really really thought about MOJA but it was just too much for my family situation. Own a house in Vegas and have a wife and 18-mo twins. Neither commuting nor park housing would have worked ideally enough, considering how much time on my L2 eligiblity is left. (And who knows, I might hire directly into a FLETC-track perm position with BLM or USFS...)

Where are you, Rat?
            I'm with BIA in Western Nevada. They just closed an announcement for Lake Mead on the 19th of July for 07/09. I'm not sure if it was status only or open to all, but it was up for about a week.

BLM and USFS are really hard to get in to, even with status and LMPT training. I missed out on BLM's last round of hiring and all they have now are temp and term positions.

Comment

They just closed an announcement for Lake Mead on the 19th of July for 07/09. I'm not sure if it was status only or open to all, but it was up for about a week.
              The recent Lake Mead announcement on USAJobs was only open to Dept of Interior employees. They also had a lateral reassignment announcement for current NPS LE Rangers. Basically they are trying to get a big pool of candidates as possible. I know they had two immediate openings they were looking to fill and were anticipating another 2-3 openings in the near future.

Comment

We're hijacking your thread for a sec, Marauder... thank you!

They just closed an announcement for Lake Mead on the 19th of July for 07/09. I'm not sure if it was status only or open to all, but it was up for about a week.

BLM and USFS are really hard to get in to, even with status and LMPT training. I missed out on BLM's last round of hiring and all they have now are temp and term positions.
                My search filter on USAJOBS only brings up stuff I would be eligible for, if I remember correctly. So maybe that's why I didn't see it. I know what you're talking about on that temp/term situation in BLM. I've been referred on a vacancy but it's going no where and no one seems to know who to talk to.

I talked with a USFS ranger who STEPped in out of his undergrad and went basically straight to LMPT. I really really hope having SLETP and semi-relevant work experience will help. When I got to talk with the Capt. up in Reno (supervises Spring Mtns. in Vegas) he seemed pretty excited to hear about young blood trying hard to get in. I hope something like that works out because one seasonal gig after another is just going to be pretty rough for a family man/main breadwinner like myself. We'll see...

Originally posted by wildlife97 View Post
                The recent Lake Mead announcement on USAJobs was only open to Dept of Interior employees. They also had a lateral reassignment announcement for current NPS LE Rangers. Basically they are trying to get a big pool of candidates as possible. I know they had two immediate openings they were looking to fill and were anticipating another 2-3 openings in the near future.
                Where are you these days, Shane? Did you catch that thing about upcoming openings from the Chief @ Mead? I have less shifts than normal at my security job these next couple weeks and I'm really hoping to arrange some face time with folks from each agency... get some good feedback on what I should be doing to have a good shot at future openings.

Comment

Did you catch that thing about upcoming openings from the Chief @ Mead? I have less shifts than normal at my security job these next couple weeks and I'm really hoping to arrange some face time with folks from each agency... get some good feedback on what I should be doing to have a good shot at future openings.
                  The info about the future vacancies was on the USAjobs announcement that was open to DOI employees only. I never did get a seasonal gig for the summer, the big issue was not having a EMT cert. So I have since gone thru Wildland Fire training, Swiftwater Rescue training and got done with EMT school last week and take my national reg test this week. I have also enrolled in grad school online so I am now STEP/SCEP eligible. I've applied for a couple STEP positions for the fall/winter and have a couple places that seem to be working in my favor. So things seem to be getting better.

Comment

I feel your pain on getting a slot... A buddy working Great Smokey Mountains NP had to wait three seasons to get hired full time and he had all the requirements and then some.

I cant even count the number of times I have been rated ineligible for NPS positions, and this with 10 plus years of LEO, EMS and Fire experience on top of a BS in criminal justice. Heck, I rated for one position at one park last year, only to be told by another park that I did not have time in grade, when I had been that grade for three years. It just takes allot of work to get those few NPS, BLM, and USFS positions with all of us going after them.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11809 users online. 463 members and 11346 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X