300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency Police Officer

I just received a COE from the NGA in regards to their police officer position. From what I can gather from the job description, the officer position seems more like a security guard role, but I imagine it is a good foot in the door towards other federal positions?

Can anyone provide more information on the hiring process for the NGA, the type of training received, transferring opportunities, or what it is like to work with the NGA?

Much appreciated!

Originally posted by DKTransit View Post
    I just received a COE from the NGA in regards to their police officer position. From what I can gather from the job description, the officer position seems more like a security guard role, but I imagine it is a good foot in the door towards other federal positions?

Can anyone provide more information on the hiring process for the NGA, the type of training received, transferring opportunities, or what it is like to work with the NGA?

Much appreciated!
    I know some folks that hired on with them at the St. Louis location. The hardest part from what I've been told was the actual background investigation. You have to qualify for a top secret clearance which can be hell in itself. I know for the guys I know it took well over a year for the background to be completed. I also know that it doesn't qualify for the law enforcement retirement but there is supposedly a movement toward that. There is a physical component too that involves a 1 1/2 mile run and so fourth. With that said it is a good foot in the door and the fellas I know don't have such a high starting salary but make buku bucks on overtime. Their duties consist of foot patrol, checking id's at the gate, and confronting individuals not supposed to be on the property. Look at it this way a federal job is a federal job!

Comment

I don't know for sure, because I didn't see the announcement, but I doubt that it qualifies as a Law Enforcement position that "stops the clock" on your age. If you are getting close to that 37th year then be on the lookout for a position that will qualify you.

Comment

I applied with NGA for the Police Officer position the last week of August 2010. I was able to do a Skype interview and complete everything other than the physical fitness from my Midwest home. I was recently given a start date of July 18, but have to decline because I was offered another position with another agency. It is an 0083 position that is not LE covered, but the people that I've dealt with every step of the process have been professional yet down to earth and very friendly and helpful. Seems like a great organization to get started with, you get to go through FLETC UPTP and a TS clearance, so that'll obviously look good for future Fed jobs. Again, I've never worked for them and am not accepting the job, but I made it through every phase, including the background process, so I am more than willing to answer any questions about that. Otherwise, good luck and be safe.

Comment

I have six years experience with a college degree and was invited to take their physical fitness test on july 16th. My goal is an 1811 position, and was wondering if this is worth it. I know it is a federal job and a great way to get your foot in the door, but is the pay worth it? Can you negotiate your salary? Any feedback is greatly appreciated...thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by akeimva View Post
            I have six years experience with a college degree and was invited to take their physical fitness test on july 16th. My goal is an 1811 position, and was wondering if this is worth it. I know it is a federal job and a great way to get your foot in the door, but is the pay worth it? Can you negotiate your salary? Any feedback is greatly appreciated...thanks in advance!
            In my opinion, you'd have no better and no worse chance of getting on as an 1811 if you got picked up by the NGA Police. However, if you have experience at the local/state level and a degree, I'd just apply directly to open 1811 positions that you qualify for. I would not leave a local or state job for a 0083 uniformed position with the hopes of making yourself more marketable for an 1811 gig. The only benefit NGA would give you is if you're not prior military or a federal employee, then you would gain "status candidate" status which would make you eligible to apply for 1811 gigs that were open to status candidates and the general public, rather than just those open to the general public.

With the exception of some 0083 positions, most are geared toward force protection. Meaning your day to day mission is going to be to protect the building(s), employees, visitors, resources and assets of your property. While some proactive law enforcement may be mixed in there, it's not going to be your primary focus.

As far as pay goes, it's a federal job and there is not much room to negotiate salary. HR or whoever is going to determine what grade you qualify for based on your resume and any job related questionnaire you may have to fill out. In this case NGA is not on the GS scale but on the IA Pay-banding system. The IA Band-02 is equivalent to a GS-7 thru 10. You may be able to negotiate a step increase or two within the band, but if you're only found qualified for the GS-7 equivalent, then you're not going to be able to negotiate to a higher grade.

Personally, stay where you're at and just apply to 1811 positions as they come open. I don't know much about NGA Police one way or the other, but overall they are security oriented and I doubt you'll be happy there coming from the local or state level. I just don't think the NGA Police is going to be that mythical "foot in the door agency" you're looking for.

If you're nearing the age of 37, then you may want to get on with an agency that offers 6c/12d coverage just to stop the clock (e.g. Border Patrol, FAMS, etc.) Hope this helps.
            Last edited by MIDeputy; 07-04-2011, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Sorry guys, I just noticed this thread. MI pretty much nailed it with a few of his points. I will try to elaborate as best I can.

Originally posted by MIDeputy View Post
              However, if you have experience at the local/state level and a degree, I'd just apply directly to open 1811 positions that you qualify for. I would not leave a local or state job for a 0083 uniformed position with the hopes of making yourself more marketable for an 1811 gig.
              I concur, I would not leave a good position just for hopes that it would help get you into an 1811. Believe me there are plenty of us uniformed guys looking to do the same... it is all about education and experience. As far as status candidate, we actually don't count being that we are 'Excepted service', and DoD's interchange agreement with OPM expired.

With the exception of some 0083 positions, most are geared toward force protection. Meaning your day to day mission is going to be to protect the building(s), employees, visitors, resources and assets of your property. While some proactive law enforcement may be mixed in there, it's not going to be your primary focus.
              Hit the nail on the head. This is where we (and other similar agencies) lose a lot of people. We get new guys that are looking to kick down doors, make bunch or traffic stops and arrests... and that's just not what we do. Will we get some action every now and then? Sure. But it's mostly force protection... which for some people has it's perks... such as being an 'easier' slower paced job that is generally quite a bit safer then local work.

As far as pay goes, it's a federal job and there is not much room to negotiate salary. HR or whoever is going to determine what grade you qualify for based on your resume and any job related questionnaire you may have to fill out. In this case NGA is not on the GS scale but on the IA Pay-banding system. The IA Band-02 is equivalent to a GS-7 thru 10.
              Again spot on. Just before I came on there used to be some negotiating, but it sounds like that has now stopped. If you have prior LEO experience then you should start around $51k (that's with locality pay added in). If none, then a few thousand less. I'm not a big proponent of joining an agency just to use it for it's training and then bail... but it is a good way to get FLETC and to start drawing those federal benefits and retirement

Bit of general info (though limited for OPSEC reasons), we recently moved to a beautiful new facility in northern Virginia on an annex of Ft. Belvoir. It's huge, about 2.4-million-square-foot on 130 acres. As we are a rapidly growing agency, there are advancement opportunities available, especially if you have something to bring to the table to be competitive (such as prior LE, higher education etc), in which case you can move up fairly quick. If anyone is interested, and understands the type of work we do, now is the time to get in. We are hiring like crazy and by years end a lot of that will be filled. Being a relatively new police force there is some bit of growing pains we are going through... but they will eventually get sorted out. Every agency has their own issues. Overall the job is what you make out if it. One major perk for a lot of people is that our agency will pay for your college, including books... up front! All you have to do is pass the classes.

If you have any general questions feel free to post them here, any specifics you can PM me.
              Last edited by ThGreatFandango; 07-05-2011, 01:18 AM. Reason: pesky grammer
              "Swallow your pride, don't let your lip react,
              You don't wanna see my hand where my hip be at"

Comment

My experience with this agency and its process was nothing but positive. Everyone was very professional. I was offered the position in January of 2011, but had to decline due to a lower salary than I anticipated. Be forewarned, there is no "range" in the pay band, it is set, and locality is factored into it already. I was expecting the locality to cover the spread - no such luck.

Several of my MPD mates went over, and are loving it. One buddy stated he had been overseas, conducted executive protection, and works all the overtime he can handle.

They accepted my previous TS and EQIP, only needed an update.

If someone else has had a different experience, please negate my post. Overall very positiive, force protection type work. I often wish this position had come through before my current one. lol

Comment

I defintely appreciate the feedback!! Great information! Thank you guys so very much! I just want to clarify...if I do get an offer for this position, would my years count towards retirement if I were to get an 1811 position? And does this also mean that I would have to apply to an 1811 positon just like any other person who is not in the federal "world"...in other words, would I not have a little of an edge being that I would have TS and federal creditials? Thanks a lot for all of your information...it is helping me out a lot!!

Comment

We are under FERS retirement... though I'm not certain if we are covered under the law enforcement provision for some reason... I'm almost leaning towards we're not, because we do not have the '37' age requirement (which is indicative of the special LE provision which have a mandatory retirement at 57). However... it's federal service which would count towards retirement if you moved on to another federal position. Your retirement, leave etc stays same from when you first joined Feds.

Yes, you would have to apply for an 1811 position just like John Q Public since we are not in the competitive service. And having federal LE experience and TS could help a little bit, though for most 1811 positions they seem to look at education and investigation experience above all else. So if you have both of those... I would almost say stay where you are, continue on that experience and apply for a 1811 position directly. Or I would recommend an agency that has a good number of investigator positions such as Pentagon Police (PFPA), US Capitol Police etc, which may be easier to move from uniformed to plain clothes gigs.
                    "Swallow your pride, don't let your lip react,
                    You don't wanna see my hand where my hip be at"

Comment

Originally posted by akeimva View Post
                      I defintely appreciate the feedback!! Great information! Thank you guys so very much! I just want to clarify...if I do get an offer for this position, would my years count towards retirement if I were to get an 1811 position? And does this also mean that I would have to apply to an 1811 positon just like any other person who is not in the federal "world"...in other words, would I not have a little of an edge being that I would have TS and federal creditials? Thanks a lot for all of your information...it is helping me out a lot!!
                      I'm pretty certain that the NGA Police do not qualify for Federal Law Enforcement Retirement either. As TheGreatFandago stated, they do not have a maximum entry age of 37 and I see no indication of 6c/12d coverage for them.

Also, since TheGreatFandago stated that the NGA Police are "excepted service" you would not gain "status candidate" status. Therefore, your "federal credentials" would be a moot point. You will still only be able to apply to announcement open to the general public, unless you were a veteran which would make you a "status candidate." Also, the fact that you'll gain a T/S clearance is a marginal benefit at best in my opinion, and it isn't going to set you above and beyond in the pursuit of an 1811 position.

There are a lot of misconceptions in how federal hiring works and you need to understand the process. In simplest terms, your resume, education and experience is initially rated against everyone else who applies for basic qualifications, etc. If you are found qualified, then your resume is forwarded to a subject matter expert (SME) who rates it and ranks it against the other candidates. The top candidates are forwarded to the hiring official for interviews and then usually a determination is made after the interview. Basically, it all comes down to the interview. But the biggest hurdle is getting through the initial screening.

Eseentially, a T/S clearance, "federal credentials", etc. are not going to help you on the front end of the process. Again, in my opinion I would not leave your local/state position for a 0083 gig unless you really have an urge to leave your current agency. Otherwise, further your education, take advantage of in-service training your agency wants to send you to, and just keep applying to those 1811 announcements that you qualify for.

Again nothing against the NGA Police, but it's really not going to give you the added advantage you think it is, compared to where you're at right now.

Comment

MI certainly has a point, however that response may be a bit narrow. It comes down to strategic decision making. MPD offered no training, promotions / transfers were tied up for years, and it was almost impossible to get off the street. Therefore, under that scenario NGA would be the better opportunity. If you plan to move around/up, and am looking to get college paid for - NGA is a great opportunity. One MPD buddy of mine, moved from NGA police inside the building doing GEOINT after acquiring his degree - on NGA's ticket. His clearance was in place, and the transition was lighting quick.

It remains what you do with the opportunity. There will not be any take-downs, plain-clothes, and normal arrest situations. However, is that experience valued over education, supervisory/EOD or other force-protection related experience? Depends on what your end career goal is.

Any first-hand experience with the above is of course more valued, and welcome.

Comment

Looks like this forum is pretty up to date. Can anyone talk about the hiring process? I've taken the PT test, turned in my paperwork to HR and turned in my stuff for the EQIP. Today I recieved a phone call to schedule my physical, how much longer after this would I recieve an EOD date? What is the typical timeframe to be hired? Thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by sfdefender00 View Post
                            Looks like this forum is pretty up to date. Can anyone talk about the hiring process? I've taken the PT test, turned in my paperwork to HR and turned in my stuff for the EQIP. Today I recieved a phone call to schedule my physical, how much longer after this would I recieve an EOD date? What is the typical timeframe to be hired? Thanks for your help.
                            I completed the medical portion in early April, received EOD about two and a half months later.

Comment

Just got an invite for a PT test this month. Anyone still moving along with them?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11258 users online. 460 members and 10798 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X