X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WillB1smday
    Forum Member
    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by mxxdude
    Did anyone apply for the developmental announcment open from 10/22 to 11/5? It seems also entry level but I had to email a recruiter ? Is it less competitive then PAQ? What are the main differences?
    Developmentals are usually intended for people with experience either in the USG or those who bring a particular skill to the table (ie Cyber, Poly etc). Many active duty agents who are about to retire also use these types of announcements to stay in AFOSI. PAQs are intended for “entry level” folks. I put quotes around entry level because due to the stiff competition most people hired under the PAQ announcements are nowhere near entry level people. Most of the PAQs that I know had graduate degrees and related experience. The ones that didn’t spoke different languages or had other significant experience.

I noticed the agent you chatted with advised you to highlight academics and leadership. That is not something you are going to normally have to show extensively as GL-7 starting out in other organizations. But as long as people keep applying for and accept GL-7 jobs when they have GL-9 skills AFOSI is apparently happy to get a deal.
    Last edited by WillB1smday; 11-06-2018, 05:48 AM. Reason: added more info

Comment

• mxxdude
      mxxdude commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the reply. And I initiatally thought that but I saw they had a specific gs-7 position on USA jobs in September for cyber so I wasn’t sure if developmental was similar. Either way I put it for the developmental and PAQ. Which sucks cause you’re right I’ve seen a lot of vets with masters or FLEOs with masters and language barely be competitive for what I thought was more of a version of “fresh out of college acquisition program”. Any I applied. My background is 5 point vet, one deployment to Gitmo, SAA with a CJ degree (I know I know). Currently in an 1802 series position with DHS so hears to hoping I have a chance.
  • WillB1smday
    Forum Member
    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by mxxdude
    Thanks for the reply. And I initiatally thought that but I saw they had a specific gs-7 position on USA jobs in September for cyber so I wasn’t sure if developmental was similar. Either way I put it for the developmental and PAQ. Which sucks cause you’re right I’ve seen a lot of vets with masters or FLEOs with masters and language barely be competitive for what I thought was more of a version of “fresh out of college acquisition program”. Any I applied. My background is 5 point vet, one deployment to Gitmo, SAA with a CJ degree (I know I know). Currently in an 1802 series position with DHS so hears to hoping I have a chance.
    PM me when you have a chance.

Comment

• MAA
      Forum Member
      • Jan 2015

I was reached out to for my interview. Anyone else there?

Comment

• titoCA321
        titoCA321 commented
        Editing a comment
        Mind sharing us your background?

• MAA
        MAA commented
        Editing a comment
        Military, former 6C LEO, current 1810 w/ bachelors.

• aeonpctech
        aeonpctech commented
        Editing a comment
        Scheduled for 1/31/2019.
    • NCG128
      Forum Member
      • Oct 2015

Originally posted by MAA
      I was reached out to for my interview. Anyone else there?
      Hey happy holidays, I'm a federal Police Officer with DOD (Just completed UPTP this past summer) and am looking to get on as an 1811 with OSI. I currently have a bachelor's degree with SAA. I was wondering in your opinion would I be competitive enough to get picked with them? I'm a non vet. I'm currently working potientally picking up a Middle East deployment to gain my 5 points. Any advise for picking an 1811 position. I'm still young so I have some time. And could you give me some insight on the structured interview with this agency? Thank you!!

Comment

• dstoke
        Forum Member
        • Nov 2014

I was an 1811 with OSI through the PAQ program and left for another agency after a few years. I’d be happy to answer any questions you guys have with the job. My knowledge of the application process is pretty dated but I’ll answer from what I knew when I went through it. My recommendation is to look elsewhere first, OSI has a lot of internal issues that drove many capable agents away. It’s not as bad as secret service but it’s by no means a good situation either. If you want to be a real criminal investigator and not just run stupid cases for internal stats then only take this job to get in the door but apply to other agencies in the meantime and jump ship as soon as you can.

Comment

• WillB1smday
        Forum Member
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by dstoke
        I was an 1811 with OSI through the PAQ program and left for another agency after a few years. I’d be happy to answer any questions you guys have with the job. My knowledge of the application process is pretty dated but I’ll answer from what I knew when I went through it. My recommendation is to look elsewhere first, OSI has a lot of internal issues that drove many capable agents away. It’s not as bad as secret service but it’s by no means a good situation either. If you want to be a real criminal investigator and not just run stupid cases for internal stats then only take this job to get in the door but apply to other agencies in the meantime and jump ship as soon as you can.
        Dstoke said it perfectly.
        Last edited by WillB1smday; 12-26-2018, 04:26 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

• WillB1smday
          Forum Member
          • Nov 2008

Dstoke...turn on PM’s!

Comment

• dstoke
            dstoke commented
            Editing a comment
            Just activated, I think...technology eludes me at times
        • DocHolidayFan
          Forum Member
          • May 2018

Happy New Year, all. Anyone goy info on this job posting?

Comment

• SSG_MP
            SSG_MP commented
            Editing a comment
            It says promotion potential “7”.....HUH????????

• edoc118
            edoc118 commented
            Editing a comment
            It’s a public notice. It means they already know who they’re hiring, it’s just there because they’re legally required to post that. It’s most likely a waste of time to apply for that.
        • WillB1smday
          Forum Member
          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by DocHolidayFan
          Happy New Year, all. Anyone goy info on this job posting?

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/520450500
          I don’t think it’s an AFOSI opening...AFPC has been doing weird things lately with these hiring announcements. This one looks more like a resume gathering announcement.

Comment

• DocHolidayFan
            Forum Member
            • May 2018

If edoc is right, 30 minutes wasted lol. I guess ill just try again next posting.

are there any enlisted OSI agents on here? I'd like to talk to someone about working my way to OSI by first enlisting into security forces. Thanks!

Comment

• Gollywompas
              Gollywompas commented
              Editing a comment
              out of my FLETC class of 24, 4 of us were prior Security Forces, 1 intel, 1 bioenvironmental, 1 medical... and the rest were maintenance

• Gollywompas
              Gollywompas commented
              Editing a comment
              I would agree with cmor5150 if you are strictly interested in criminal investigations... that is a much better deal than having to wait for OSI, even the best candidates don't get in sometimes based on Air Force Bureaucracy. However, if you were looking to step into counterintelligence, Army CID is not duel hatted like OSI or NCIS. Probably because they can't figure out how to switch from green to yellow crayons.... but i'm just guessing there. I also think OSI has a few more niceties than CID currently, like direct reporting to the inspector general and SECAF as apposed to falling under the MP command, as well as privately owned weapon usage and off duty carry using our creds but I think CID was taking steps to get their people more privileges in those regards.
              Last edited by Gollywompas; 01-02-2019, 12:49 PM.

• dstoke
              dstoke commented
              Editing a comment
              I was never enlisted so take my advice for what you think it’s worth. I highly discourage enlisting in any career field, or enlisting for that matter for the sole purpose of coming into OSI. Like gollywompas said, bureaucracy sometimes get in the way even if you are the best qualified, enlisted selection is much less uniform than civilian hiring and there are many more factors outside of your control that have to go right for you to get into OSI, 4-5 years after you enlist. If 1811 is your goal and you want to enlist, I’d recommend careers in cyber or language billet over security forces. If you don’t get selecte for OSI, your background will make you much more attractive to outside agencies than Security forces.

• DocHolidayFan
              DocHolidayFan commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you all for the advice
          • Lee123
            Forum Member
            • Oct 2015

If anyone's got some insight into the Reserves agent hiring process/career, feel free to PM me. Thanks in advance

Comment

• MAA
              Forum Member
              • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Lee123
              If anyone's got some insight into the Reserves agent hiring process/career, feel free to PM me. Thanks in advance
              Enlisted side: accepting only already trained 1811s.
              officer Side: not accepting currently.

Comment

• MAA
                Forum Member
                • Jan 2015

Anyone in the process or received notification of base/start date?

Comment

• MAA
                  Forum Member
                  • Jan 2015

Originally posted by MAA
                  Anyone in the process or received notification of base/start date?
                  Bump. Start date date of June 8.

Comment

• Gollywompas
                    Gollywompas commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Grats, what base did you get?

• MAA
                    MAA commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I’ll pm you.

• titoCA321
                    titoCA321 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    What's your background and experience prior to applying to AFOSI if you don't mind sharing.

• MAA
                    MAA commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Military, working on masters, former 6C covered, now 1810.
                • MAA
                  Forum Member
                  • Jan 2015

GS-13 spots open:

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 19460 users online. 54 members and 19406 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...