Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pilt247 View Post
    M-11/Chargers its been a while!

Your first move will not be paid regardless of how close/far it is from your current residence. You can, however, claim moving expenses on your income taxes and generally you get most of the money back.

Some are placed overseas for the first assignment it just depends on what the needs of the agency are at the time you come in.

Remember if this is a job you are looking for know EVERYTHING about it before applying. Realize that you will deploy if you get a gig with AFOSI. Also, this process will be a long one, like all 1811 gigs.

Good luck to those applying.
    pilt, could you discuss more about the length of time, frequency, ammentities, conditions of, etc. of deployments?

-thanks

Comment

• M-11 life is good. Almost out the door for a few months. Any chance you want me to join me?

o2force,
      Sorry to be vague and i am sure M-11 could answer your questions regarding deployments but it all depends on the deployment itself.

Comment

• Originally posted by pilt247 View Post
        o2force,
        it all depends on the deployment itself.
        I will give you a prime example of this from my dad's time in the Air Force. He did a 6 month deployment to Guam and they were in tents and cots (its not that bad the Air Force has AC in the tents). On the other extreme for the operations over Bosnia back in '99 they were in Budapest in a 5 star hotel for the duration. So it really depends on where you are and what you are doing. Keep in mind those were active duty orders but be prepared for all extremes.

Comment

• Any word on when we could expect to hear anything back ?

Comment

• Has anybody else who submitted their application late on Monday not get the email going around about 200 applications received? I found out about the announcement one hour before it closed. I managed to slap together everything necessary just in the nick of time but I worry it isn't nearly as strong as it could have been. I am currently an 1811 in DHS and would like to get back into the Air Force way of getting things done.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kitesurfur View Post
              Has anybody else who submitted their application late on Monday not get the email going around about 200 applications received? I found out about the announcement one hour before it closed. I managed to slap together everything necessary just in the nick of time but I worry it isn't nearly as strong as it could have been. I am currently an 1811 in DHS and would like to get back into the Air Force way of getting things done.

What time did you submit it? Remember it closed at midnight on Eastern standard time so if you live in a different time zone it could have been past the deadline.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul554 View Post
                What time did you submit it? Remember it closed at midnight on Eastern standard time so if you live in a different time zone it could have been past the deadline.
                The time stamp from the successful email delivery report is: Arrival-Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 23:57:42 -0400 (EDT). With just minutes to spare...

However, I did fail to sign the questionnaire and had to resubmit it an hour after the closing. I hope they don't disqualify me for such a small infraction.

Comment

• Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
                  Over-dramatic much? There are in fact US military personnel in China: Military attache's, Marine security forces, etc.

Whether the US Dept of State and AF decide an AFOSI agent is warranted there is a valid question, but just being "China" in and of itself wouldn't prevent it.
                  Attaches and MSGs fall under Chief of Mission rather than military command so more than likely DSS would handle any law enforcement issues. I don't know of any AFOSI agents (or NCIS/CID agents) posted to an Embassy although we (DSS) do work with them when needed. A good example of a joint investigation with FBI, NCIS, and DSS involvement was the USS Cole bombing. All three agencies had various roles in that. DSS has a lot of contacts with local law enforcement so if you are posted overseas you may want to know who the DSS RSO is. The RSO is also, technically, the head US law enforcement official in country as well.
                  Last edited by jb74; 07-11-2011, 05:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kitesurfur View Post
                    Has anybody else who submitted their application late on Monday not get the email going around about 200 applications received? I found out about the announcement one hour before it closed. I managed to slap together everything necessary just in the nick of time but I worry it isn't nearly as strong as it could have been. I am currently an 1811 in DHS and would like to get back into the Air Force way of getting things done.
                    I have not received the confirmation email yet, submitted my application Monday afternoon.

Originally posted by jb74 View Post
                    Attaches and MSGs fall under Chief of Mission rather than military command so more than likely DSS would handle any law enforcement issues. I don't know of any AFOSI agents (or NCIS/CID agents) posted to an Embassy although we (DSS) do work with them when needed. A good example of a joint investigation with FBI, NCIS, and DSS involvement was the USS Cole bombing. All three agencies had various roles in that. DSS has a lot of contacts with local law enforcement so if you are posted overseas you may want to know who the DSS RSO is. The RSO is also, technically, the head US law enforcement official in country as well.
                    With Respect, several (if not most) FPDs are co-located in US Embassies around the world, an example would be the one in Bangkok, Thailand. http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/embassy/keyofficers.html

FPDs are staffed by NCIS/AFOSI/Army MI special agents.

Comment

• Originally posted by lowfatblueberryogurt View Post
                      With Respect, several (if not most) FPDs are co-located in US Embassies around the world, an example would be the one in Bangkok, Thailand. http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/embassy/keyofficers.html

FPDs are staffed by NCIS/AFOSI/Army MI special agents.
                      I guess you learn something new everyday. The OSI/CID/NCIS guys I have seen overseas were stationed at nearby military bases. I have seen/worked with FBI, CBP, DEA, ICE, USSS, and ATF agents in the Embassy. All of them are under Chief of Mission authority when in-country whereas the OSI/CID/NCIS guys could be under either Chief of Mission or military command depending on the country.

Comment

• Originally posted by jb74 View Post
                        I guess you learn something new everyday. The OSI/CID/NCIS guys I have seen overseas were stationed at nearby military bases. I have seen/worked with FBI, CBP, DEA, ICE, USSS, and ATF agents in the Embassy. All of them are under Chief of Mission authority when in-country whereas the OSI/CID/NCIS guys could be under either Chief of Mission or military command depending on the country.
                        NCIS/AFOSI/Army MI agents detailed to FPDs are almost always under COM authority. Their mission is to provide force protection measures for visiting/transient DOD personnel/aircraft/ships, thus working with the Embassy staff/RSOs on a regular basis.

NCIS/AFOSI/CID agents who are assigned to OCONUS military installations fall under COCOM authority. They investigate crimes involving US military members on or off base, among other duties.

Hope this helps!
                        Last edited by lowfatblueberryogurt; 07-12-2011, 10:17 AM.

Comment

• Folks.

I like the conversation, but the please avoid giving each other information you are "Pretty Sure of' We have folks at embassies all over the place, doing several different missions, in many different ways. Our missions go deep, and a lot of what we do is not really something to discuss on a forum. I have been with the agency for 9 years, and I am probably only aware of about 75% of our missions (and I'm a CI guy)

Again, communicate, but avoid telling each other stuf you think you know unless you are an agent, we can talk out our asses all we want.

M-11
                          “All men dream...... But not equally..
                          Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                          but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                          for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

• I posted this earlier in the thread but never got any replies. I apologize for the re-post, but I'd really like to find and answer... or find out where I can go/ who I can ask to find one:

I had 2 questions about disabled veteran status:

1. The veterans' preference points paragraphs only mention 5pts and the 10pt "less than 10%" categories. From the announcement:

Tentative Veterans Preference will be given to all eligible applicants who meet the criteria. To receive preference applicants must provide: Copy 4 of the DD214 reflecting an honorable discharge. To receive 10-point preference, in addition to Copy 4 of the DD-214, you must submit an SF-15, Claim for Veteran's Preference (10-point veteran), plus proof from the Department of Veterans Affairs dated within the last 12 months or from a branch of the Armed Forces, certifying to the present existence of the veteran's service-connected disability of less than 10% with your application.

The other disabled vet statuses on SF15 don't seem to be addressed. What about 30% disabled, etc?

2. Is there any place to find the actual medical standards for AFOSI civilian agents? The standards mentioned in the announcement are pretty basic. Specifically, is insulin-dependent diabetes allowed? I developed Type I diabetes and was forced to medically retire from the Army due to being non-deployable. I know that to be a civilian CID special agent I have to meet the same OCONUS deployability standards as active duty Army: Insulin dependent diabetes is a show-stopper. If the AF's standards for that are different, or different for civilian AFOSI agents, I believe I'd have no problem with the rest of it.
                            Any help?
                            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

• The other disabled vet statuses on SF15 don't seem to be addressed. What about 30% disabled, etc?
                              I do not know the answer on this one yet. Try contacting the CIV POC.

I know that to be a civilian CID special agent I have to meet the same OCONUS deployability standards as active duty Army: Insulin dependent diabetes is a show-stopper. If the AF's standards for that are different, or different for civilian AFOSI agents, I believe I'd have no problem with the rest of it.
                              Deployability is the same with us. Our standards are based off the same DOD Directive.

M-11
                              “All men dream...... But not equally..
                              Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                              but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                              for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

• @M-11:

Thanks for your help. Not what I wanted to hear, but there are other fish in the Fed sea...

Thanks again.
                                "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7458 users online. 319 members and 7139 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X