Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There is a new announcement for an entry level position via the PAQ program. Any body go through this program yet?

Comment

• Saber5
      Saber5 commented
      Editing a comment
      This is a formal Air Force intern position in the PAQ program and; as such, it is centrally funded by HQ AFPC/DP2ZA and administered by the Special Investigations Civilian Career Program (SICCP). The purpose of this position is to receive formal and on-the-job training in criminal investigations and to complete developmental assignments and training outlined in the SICCP PAQ Training Plan. Please do not contact our office for status; you will be notified directly if selected.

• Jagger3939
      Jagger3939 commented
      Editing a comment
      I know someone who went through it. You go through CITP. Very little difference with this vs a permanent hire other than how they hire you.

• MAA
      MAA commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s classified as an “Intern” position due to the development for your first three years and the pot of money funding the position and training. Essentially, it’s a three year probationary period as a Special Agent.

• Anthropologist
      Anthropologist commented
      Editing a comment
      First question)

I noticed that the vacancy announcement stated the following as a requirement: "Registration/License - active, current registration/license if applicable for the position"

I take that to mean that they want a photocopy of a driver's license, correct? However, do they also want a copy of vehicle registrations? Beyond that, hopefully this doesn't conflict with the later listed requirement: "If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, you will not be considered for this vacancy" in the notice...I haven't seen anyone include a picture with a resume here in the US, but it was common in Europe (I've never done it before).

Second question)

How quickly do they send people to FLETC? I know that some agencies drag their feet when it comes to sending new employees. I've been to FLETC before for DHS (not CITP though), and they sent us new employees within two months of being hired.

• Originally posted by Anthropologist View Post
    First question)

I noticed that the vacancy announcement stated the following as a requirement: "Registration/License - active, current registration/license if applicable for the position"

I take that to mean that they want a photocopy of a driver's license, correct? However, do they also want a copy of vehicle registrations? Beyond that, hopefully this doesn't conflict with the later listed requirement: "If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, you will not be considered for this vacancy" in the notice...I haven't seen anyone include a picture with a resume here in the US, but it was common in Europe (I've never done it before).

Second question)

How quickly do they send people to FLETC? I know that some agencies drag their feet when it comes to sending new employees. I've been to FLETC before for DHS (not CITP though), and they sent us new employees within two months of being hired.
    I can answer your second question with some certainty. They will hire you a little bit before CITP. Usually a few weeks or so. Then you will attend CITP and then BSIC. This was pre-COVID of course. I reserve the right to be wrong . As for the first question...I assume that they will use the license info etc. to get you signed up for access to the interview location if you make it that far. That's just an assumption. Good luck.

Comment

• Anthropologist
      Anthropologist commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know. Thanks! I'd love to get the opportunity to work for AFOSI, but with only 13 positions open it seems like a long shot.

• I’ve always submitted these through the email with cover letter and all that. Those resumes are limited to 5 pages. Does the same limit apply on USAjobs? I can’t find anything in the description that says the resume page limit. Thanks for the help!

Comment

• big_bob_69
      big_bob_69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Do the resume builder through USA jobs. It takes care of it for you.

• Bonfire93
      Bonfire93 commented
      Editing a comment
      big_bob_69 thank you for the response. I do already have a federal resume. I would like to know if there is a page limit for this particular position. I’ve applied before and they restricted the resume page count to 4-5pg. My resume is longer (8-9pgs). Do I need to shorten to comply with what their standards used to be?

• Originally posted by WillB1smday View Post

I can answer your second question with some certainty. They will hire you a little bit before CITP. Usually a few weeks or so. Then you will attend CITP and then BSIC. This was pre-COVID of course. I reserve the right to be wrong . As for the first question...I assume that they will use the license info etc. to get you signed up for access to the interview location if you make it that far. That's just an assumption. Good luck.
    I was told the same thing about CITP, when I emailed 3-4 months ago.

Comment

• What are the odds of getting hired for this? I remember reading something somewhere that they only hire a handful of people.

Comment

• Saber5
        Saber5 commented
        Editing a comment
        24 out of thousands of applicants.

• Originally posted by big_bob_69 View Post
      What are the odds of getting hired for this? I remember reading something somewhere that they only hire a handful of people.
      They only hired 10 civilians the year I was hired...it’s hard.

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
        Winter_Patriot commented
        Editing a comment
        Wish I knew this before spending several hours putting my resume and other materials into the format AFOSI requires. State level prosecutor, seven years of trial experience, some experience working with local/fed agencies on warrants, mil, but not prior law enforcement.

They are hiring 13 this year. They do actually have a panel that reviews each resume and application file so that process may or may not be in your favor.

Comment

• Saber5
        Saber5 commented
        Editing a comment
        Was there an application cap?

• titoCA321
        titoCA321 commented
        Editing a comment
        No, there is no application cap.

I have DOI/DHS experience (voluntary change to lower grade for AFOSI), FLETA and FLETC academies under my belt, a graduate degree from one of the best universities in the world with a perfect GPA (in a subject related to national security), lots of international experience, years of experience with interviewing, recruiting informants, and conducting research, etc.

That being said, I'm not holding my breath about getting selected for AFOSI. There are just too many highly qualified candidates for the position.

Comment

• big_bob_69
        big_bob_69 commented
        Editing a comment
        It’s very considerate of you to assume that the most qualified candidates are the ones who get selected, haha.

• Anthropologist
        Anthropologist commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, I will admit that the selection processes of most agencies still bewilder me on the best of days. lol

• Saber5
        Saber5 commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve seen a 22 year old female straight out of college who’s only work experience was working summers at pep boys get a 1811 over a combat vet Navy Seal. There’s no rhyme or reason for anything in this game.

• Anthropologist
        Anthropologist commented
        Editing a comment
        Sheesh. Definitely no rhyme or reason!

I often wonder how often people get hired based on false information on their resumes. There was a girl (non-LE) at my old agency who was hired as a GS-11 just out of a Master's program (unrelated to the job) and with only an unrelated state-level political internship for experience. She openly admitted to coworkers that she embellished on her resume to get hired.

• Originally posted by Bonfire93 View Post
      big_bob_69 thank you for the response. I do already have a federal resume. I would like to know if there is a page limit for this particular position. I’ve applied before and they restricted the resume page count to 4-5pg. My resume is longer (8-9pgs). Do I need to shorten to comply with what their standards used to be?

Short answer...Yes. I’m going to be honest though. AFOSI isn’t a place where “experienced” 1811’s will really want to go. It’s a good “foot in the door” agency if you
      can get it. However, bringing experience with you is only going to make you frustrated. 9 times out of 10 you are going to be working for some Air Force officer who has three to five years of “investigative” experience in UCMJ sex crimes and little experience or basis of knowledge relating to how actual federal cases (when I mean federal I mean cases prosecuted by a US Attorney from a US Attorney’s Office) work. You are primarily going to run sex assault cases with people claiming they were assaulted when the opposite sex looked at them the wrong way at the post exchange. It’s just not a place that someone with any sort of real world experience will actually want to be long term. You can’t even call a “victim” out on a lie without getting it approved. You are micromanaged down to the sentence in your reports. It doesn’t matter if you are a Civilian or Military member, you will not have any sort of investigative freedom. It’s a totally ridiculous MCIO agency.

Comment

• Anthropologist
        Anthropologist commented
        Editing a comment
        Doesn't sound so great when you put it that way. Thanks for being honest though!

• One more thing. Out of the 10 civilians that were hired with me, only 3 are still there. Two of them are currently trying to leave.

Comment

• Anthropologist
        Anthropologist commented
        Editing a comment
        I used to work in a directorate that was known to have extremely high attrition and terrible management. The reality is that some jobs just are not good places to spend a career.

• Badger99
        Badger99 commented
        Editing a comment
        Is it any better for folks working Counterintelligence at AFOSI? Or are those folks also unhappy and or is CI work hard to get at AFOSI? Thanks!

• Jagger3939
        Jagger3939 commented
        Editing a comment
        FWIW, it’s all subjective and depends on your location/local leadership. One of my best friends from college joined OSI within the last few years, and they absolutely love the job.

• Anthropologist
        Anthropologist commented
        Editing a comment
        Do they send civilian OSI agents for extended assignments/tours to overseas bases once they've gained more experience?

• Originally posted by Badger99 View Post
      Is it any better for folks working Counterintelligence at AFOSI? Or are those folks also unhappy and or is CI work hard to get at AFOSI? Thanks!
      CI isn’t hard to get into. However, you really have to understand what you are getting into. Yes, Counterintelligence sounds cool, but if you get anything good CONUS it will be taken by the FBI and if you get anything good OCONUS it will be handled by another “agency”. You will mOst likely be reporting on very mundane things. The good news is you get some “cool guy” training. However, you won’t rally use it much if at all. Just putting it out there. These are things I wish someone told me before I committed a considerable amount of time and resources getting into this job.

Comment

• parkscout93
        parkscout93 commented
        Editing a comment
        Goes kind of the same for criminal cases across the MCIOs. FBI gets everything good.

• Originally posted by Jagger3939 View Post
      FWIW, it’s all subjective and depends on your location/local leadership. One of my best friends from college joined OSI within the last few years, and they absolutely love the job.
      Did your friend come from an experienced (prior LE) background? Was this his first “big boy” job out of college? If you have nothing to compare it to, then I could see how people could stand it.

Comment

• Jagger3939
        Jagger3939 commented
        Editing a comment
        College, 3 years working for the Investigations Bureau of a local LE agency, then got OSI.

• Originally posted by Anthropologist View Post
      Do they send civilian OSI agents for extended assignments/tours to overseas bases once they've gained more experience?
      That’s an option as you progress through your career.

Comment

• Don’t bother applying to this job unless you know someone. They are looking for something other than college educated, military/LEO background. Maybe spongebob fry cook expertise or Biden campaign manager experience

Comment

• I applied for this most recent PAQ announcement. I do however have a question about it. I noticed it was Schedule A, so non-competitive for those with disabilities, but does that mean people without a disability won't be considered? Or do they just have to put that so those with get preference and hired more quickly?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3685 users online. 253 members and 3432 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X