Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have to disagree regarding pay if you look at the benefits. As a captain in DC you get non-tax BAH 2712.00 a month. Plus you get free healthcare. I know a lot of people that are enlisted in the military that come out to the civilian world and make a lot less.

Comment

• Originally posted by Auke85 View Post
      I have to disagree regarding pay if you look at the benefits. As a captain in DC you get non-tax BAH 2712.00 a month. Plus you get free healthcare. I know a lot of people that are enlisted in the military that come out to the civilian world and make a lot less.
      You can disagree all you want, but numbers (in this case) don't lie. I factored in the BAH with the $93k estimate. That means, even with the BAH, you are still making $28k less. I'm sure it is possible you could find a health plan that costs $2300 a month (the difference), but it is highly unlikely that a federal government job is going to require you to pay that much for coverage. Also, you have to factor in the fact that, as an officer, you are likely going to be stuck at the same rank for several years at a time with not much of an increase in pay.

EDIT: I got bored and created a spreadsheet. Over a 20 year period (assuming standard promotion for SA following OPM grade and step guidelines, and assuming in the zone promotions based on TIS), you will earn $351,772.7 more in pay as an SA than you will as an officer (this amount includes BAH for every year as an officer). This equates to just over $17k per year.
      Last edited by Pi, Esq.; 03-20-2015, 12:38 PM. Reason: More math.

Comment

• Entry level O-1 making same location and depends as me: $50,174.45 per year. After taxes on just base pay (33408) + BAH/BAS comes out to $44995 per year. No Social Security, retirement, medical insurance, Medicare, dental insurance, and in some states no income tax.

Entry level GS-7: Base Pay $39282 x .25= $9820 LEAP, $39282 x .1624= $6379 locality. Add all those up= $55481.89. After LE FERS retirement 0.8% per pay, Social Security $124 per pay, TSP at 5% $115 per pay, Med Insurance $125 per pay, Dental $50 per pay, Medicare $26 per pay, and finally after taxes comes out to $39,312.

Both share one thing, retirement in 20 years. However, they don't share Free on base housing, access to the commissary or BX.

Take it from a prior enlisted agent that knows several other enlisted and officer agents leave thinking that the grass is greener on the other side, they find out quick.

Ultimately, it shouldn't be about the pay when looking at whether or not you should join the military and serve your country.

Comment

• Originally posted by LE View Post
          Entry level O-1 making same location and depends as me: $50,174.45 per year. After taxes on just base pay (33408) + BAH/BAS comes out to $44995 per year. No Social Security, retirement, medical insurance, Medicare, dental insurance, and in some states no income tax.

Entry level GS-7: Base Pay $39282 x .25= $9820 LEAP, $39282 x .1624= $6379 locality. Add all those up= $55481.89. After LE FERS retirement 0.8% per pay, Social Security $124 per pay, TSP at 5% $115 per pay, Med Insurance $125 per pay, Dental $50 per pay, Medicare $26 per pay, and finally after taxes comes out to $39,312.

Both share one thing, retirement in 20 years. However, they don't share Free on base housing, access to the commissary or BX.

Take it from a prior enlisted agent that knows several other enlisted and officer agents leave thinking that the grass is greener on the other side, they find out quick.

Ultimately, it shouldn't be about the pay when looking at whether or not you should join the military and serve your country.
          While I agree that you shouldn't join the military unless you actually want to serve your country, I think you should get some facts straight.

Military members do pay both social security and Medicare taxes. http://http://socialsecurity.gov/pubs/EN-05-10017.pdf. Additionally, the amount you pay in state income taxes, if any, doesn't have anything to do with whether or not you are in the military. If you work in Texas, you pay 0% on all earnings made in the state, whether you are in the military or not. If you work in Michigan, you pay 4.35% whether you are in the military or not. Also, LEAP is based on the locality pay rate, so in the example above, your LEAP calculation is about $1600 off.

Comment

• Any other 2015 AFOSI PAQs primary candidates out there? Finished my ASI last week, waiting for my drug screening and offer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pi, Esq. View Post
              While I agree that you shouldn't join the military unless you actually want to serve your country, I think you should get some facts straight.

Military members do pay both social security and Medicare taxes. http://http://socialsecurity.gov/pubs/EN-05-10017.pdf. Additionally, the amount you pay in state income taxes, if any, doesn't have anything to do with whether or not you are in the military. If you work in Texas, you pay 0% on all earnings made in the state, whether you are in the military or not. If you work in Michigan, you pay 4.35% whether you are in the military or not. Also, LEAP is based on the locality pay rate, so in the example above, your LEAP calculation is about $1600 off.
              I was an Army(but I still love my Air Force bros, best shopping in the world right outside Osan AB) E5 with 8 years when I got out last summer, with everything I made a shade over 60K. I work local LE right now and it was advertised at 63K but I am on pace this year to make about 72K. I can tell you personally I may be making more money now, but I am still getting a grip on if it actually feels that way. And now that I am back in IL, I have to pay state taxes now after the past 8 years I did not because IL doesnt charge military members on military income. Good luck with you guys trying to become SA, civilian or military.

Comment

• Does anybody know what the agent suitability investigation entails? Is the suitability investigation just the standard investigation necessary for the TS clearance, or does AFOSI make you take a polygraph also? I was a bit confused reading that agents "may" be required to take a polygraph?

Comment

• Originally posted by jondw View Post
                  Does anybody know what the agent suitability investigation entails? Is the suitability investigation just the standard investigation necessary for the TS clearance, or does AFOSI make you take a polygraph also? I was a bit confused reading that agents "may" be required to take a polygraph?
                  Not sure about the poly specifically, but law enforcement background investigations in general are a lot more intense than standard security investigations for TS clearance (like what you might get with the military).

Comment

• Originally posted by jondw View Post
                    Does anybody know what the agent suitability investigation entails? Is the suitability investigation just the standard investigation necessary for the TS clearance, or does AFOSI make you take a polygraph also? I was a bit confused reading that agents "may" be required to take a polygraph?
                    I have no specific insight into what AFOSI does, but I can offer you my legal interpretation to the question you posed. Based on what you've stated, I would say it is unlikely that you will have to take a poly. The fact that they said "may" vs. "will" implies they have good lawyers that wanted to ensure they covered their asses. "May" gives them the ability to administer one, but likely means they won't. Otherwise, it would have said "will" be required.

Comment

• I'm one of the PAQ primary 10 and I was wondering if there were any other PAQ primaries out there that I haven't been in communication with. PM me.

Comment

• I just got a generic NOR email from OPM saying I was referred, even though I applied to both PAQ and the other announcement and got BQA (aka better luck next time) emails. Anybody else?

Comment

• Originally posted by hmt2011 View Post
                          I just got a generic NOR email from OPM saying I was referred, even though I applied to both PAQ and the other announcement and got BQA (aka better luck next time) emails. Anybody else?
                          Just received a referral letter for the PAQ as well. I'm guessing this is a mistake? I think this (non-referrals receiving late referral letters) has happened in previous years.

Comment

• Likewise I got the same email.

Comment

• Me too. This same thing has happened to me a few times....multiple referral emails follow by BQA emails.

TDF

Comment

• You'd think they'd fix this issue. I think it has happened the last two years as well.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7792 users online. 372 members and 7420 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X