Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are there any SAC or RAC offices in or near NYC? Thanks.
    USPIS 2011
    US OPM 2009-2011
    US CBP 2007-2009
    USANG 2006
    USMC 2002-2006
    H&S Co, MCSFBn NOB Norfolk 2003-2006
    MWSG17, 1st MAW Okainawa 2002-2003

Comment

Originally posted by Corpor_usmc View Post
      Are there any SAC or RAC offices in or near NYC? Thanks.
      http://www.osi.andrews.af.mil/units/index.asp

Comment

A few more general questions for you guys!

Do all Agents get take home cars and if so is there a time limit before you get one (such as after prob. or 2nd year)?
        What is your normal uniform, suit and tie, 5.11 tac pants and polo or so forth?
        What type of investigations can a general agent assigned to a average size post expect to work? I know you cant really predict crime and such but what would you say are your most common cases.
        Finally, how would you rate the overall level of moral for your department?

I know originally i was looking at taking a CID job on the civillian side. I talked to a few local agents though and the turn over rate was INSANE! They all despised working there and advised me to apply else where (they ended up not hiring anyone due to the budget in the end anyways). I'm hoping this was an isolated type of thing at the local base here, but im just curious how it is for you guys.

Comment

Just submitted my app for this. Wish I was further along in Grad School because then i could put that on there as it is computer forensics/computer science related, but I just started. Looks like a good agency. Had never looked at them before.

Comment

only duty agents get to have take home cars...which kind of sucks. oh, also people who are in certain billets get to have them too...such as JTTFs, fpds, etc.

normal attire...that depends on your DETCO or SAIC. at HQ its suit and tie everyday, at the detachment level its half and half...once again...really depends on your DETCO or SAIC.

general agents do sexual assault, drug related, base level fraud, homicide, etc. most of the time its with another local or federal agency.

morale at our det is really high. but, it does vary depending on location and such. like any other agency, you have those who love the agency and those who hate it... one thing i have learned though is grass isnt greener on the other side.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargersBolt View Post
              only duty agents get to have take home cars...which kind of sucks. oh, also people who are in certain billets get to have them too...such as JTTFs, fpds, etc.

normal attire...that depends on your DETCO or SAIC. at HQ its suit and tie everyday, at the detachment level its half and half...once again...really depends on your DETCO or SAIC.

general agents do sexual assault, drug related, base level fraud, homicide, etc. most of the time its with another local or federal agency.

morale at our det is really high. but, it does vary depending on location and such. like any other agency, you have those who love the agency and those who hate it... one thing i have learned though is grass isnt greener on the other side.
              How competitive is it to get assigned to an FPD, and do you have a say in which one you go to? Also, do they send you to DLI to learn the local language before you PCS? Thank you in advance.

Comment

Few extra questions:

What is the rest of the hiring process like?

For general agents at an averaged size base what is the case breakdown between crim, ci, *and FW&A.

Is there enough crim to make a career out of it?

What about opportunities *to hit the occasional door?

Are agents allowed to go OCONUS as their first assignment? What is the competition for overseas bases like?

How is AFOSI's relationship with other agencies?

Thank you for any answers you can give.

Comment

Originally posted by ForzaMilan View Post
                  I am not really getting all the hate for AFOSI. Maybe it is because I have been using usajobs for months now, and a break from that system is very welcoming at this point. Anyway, I applied and didn't have any problems sending my email in.

I emailed them 2 weeks ago, expressing interest in AFOSI, and to my surprise, I got an personalized email back within 24 hours, with lots of information and upcoming job fairs. This was really impressive, since most government agencies whom I have contacted, don't seem to bother responding, or if they do, they write a short email, which seems like it is written by the student worker. Actually, the manager sent me another email to remind me that this job announcement was going to be posted on Monday.

Anyway, I was very impressed with my correspondence with AFOSI so far; confirmed by long held belief that Air Force (military and civilian) got their stuff together, more than other agencies, and it made me wanna work for them even more now

Good luck everyone

Would you mind sending me that email via PM?? I'd appreciate it.

Comment

How competitive is it to get assigned to an FPD, and do you have a say in which one you go to? Also, do they send you to DLI to learn the local language before you PCS? Thank you in advance.
                    There are always open FPD's, they are threatening non vol's right now so if you want to go, it's not too hard.

What is the rest of the hiring process like?

Waiting around, hoping for the call.

For general agents at an averaged size base what is the case breakdown between crim, ci, *and FW&A.
                    Average bases are small enough that everyone is in for just about every case. Larger bases with more specific missions specialize more.

Is there enough crim to make a career out of it?
                    Enough, and some extra.

What about opportunities *to hit the occasional door?
                    We have people for that, and through planning, we usually end up manipulating folks into giving themselves to us on our terms.

Are agents allowed to go OCONUS as their first assignment? What is the competition for overseas bases like?
                    Yes. The competition depends on how many of your classmates want to go.

How is AFOSI's relationship with other agencies?
                    Most love us.

M-11
                    “All men dream...... But not equally..
                    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

M-11

I wanted to see what you thought of my work experience and to provide some input of my chances of getting hired.

I have my B.S. in criminal justice and have been working in Juvenile Probation the past 3 1/2 years. We are considered Peace officers only in the line of duty and we have arrest authority only over probationers. I am an armed officer as well. Most of the work is more social work but I do field work and have worked with other LE dpeartments in arrests. I have done numerous arrests, written countless reports and testified in Court numerous times. I am in Court constantly for violators of probation etc.

I'm still young but am just trying to get an opportunity to get in Federal LE. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for answering all of our questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Nola504 View Post
                        I'm still young but am just trying to get an opportunity to get in Federal LE. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for answering all of our questions.
                        Nola,

While I don't work for OSI (and I can't claim to be M-11, not even close, I'm afraid...), I do work for a MCIO so I want to touch on one comment you made. You said you're trying to get an opportunity to get in federal LE, which is understandable as I was there myself once, but do yourself a favor and research the missions of MCIOs (particularly their global missions) and ensure that's what you're after. OSI (and all MCIOs) deploy their agents to wartime theaters and require their agents contribute to the global mission in one way or another. I say that not because I doubt your eagerness to do so, but because a lot of folks leave OSI and other MCIO's because when their number is called and their told to deploy they realize that's not what they wanted afterall. MCIO work is unique in federal LE, make sure if you apply to work for OSI it's because you want to be an OSI agent vice "just becoming a fed."

We have an agent in our office that was a former state probation officer, just FYI. Good luck.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kimble View Post
                          Nola,

While I don't work for OSI (and I can't claim to be M-11, not even close, I'm afraid...), I do work for a MCIO so I want to touch on one comment you made. You said you're trying to get an opportunity to get in federal LE, which is understandable as I was there myself once, but do yourself a favor and research the missions of MCIOs (particularly their global missions) and ensure that's what you're after. OSI (and all MCIOs) deploy their agents to wartime theaters and require their agents contribute to the global mission in one way or another. I say that not because I doubt your eagerness to do so, but because a lot of folks leave OSI and other MCIO's because when their number is called and their told to deploy they realize that's not what they wanted afterall. MCIO work is unique in federal LE, make sure if you apply to work for OSI it's because you want to be an OSI agent vice "just becoming a fed."

We have an agent in our office that was a former state probation officer, just FYI. Good luck.

Oh yes thank you. I am for sure ready to do anything they need. My father was 32 years Air Force so I know what the job will demand of me. I made sure to read over evetything that us required and I am more than willing to do it. I applied to NCIS before too. What agency do you work for, if you don't mind my asking? Use PM if you like. Any information would be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Nola504 View Post
                            Oh yes thank you. I am for sure ready to do anything they need. My father was 32 years Air Force so I know what the job will demand of me. I made sure to read over evetything that us required and I am more than willing to do it. I applied to NCIS before too. What agency do you work for, if you don't mind my asking? Use PM if you like. Any information would be awesome.
                            You sound a lot like me. My father was 34 years AF retired as an O-7. I want to join OSI for mainly the FPD positions. I am working on my paperwork for OTS as well. I would like to stay civilian though just in case I would like to join the fun in say a JTTF.

Comment

Do you guys think there will still be a lot of available deployments to Iraq and Afgan after the draw downs are complete? I know well still have a rather large presence in bot but im unsure of the amount of AFOSI/CID and such we'd have over there. Also how long must you be an agent before you deploy over to a combat zone? I did 3 tours in Iraq back in my Army days so i dont mind deploying at all and would love to go over there for 3-6 months at a time when my wife goes TDY for schools.

Comment

Could someone talk about the oversea tours of duty, specifically in combat zones? How long, how often, work environment, duties, etc.

Thanks

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7227 users online. 345 members and 6882 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X