300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorado Springs PD Video Test

So I just got my results back from the CSPD and i failed the video test.. I got a 64% with a cutoff of 70%... Im really confused as to how they grade this test. I got a 98% on the reading test and passed the pat... This was the 6th or 7th agency I've tested with so far and I've passed every other one with good scores. Does anyone have any experience with this portion of the CSPD's test? I'm from California and flew out there just to take these tests and im really disappointed as I wasted my time and money just to fail the video test...

Is the video test like scenario-based situations? I guess I dont know what you mean by a video test.
    ICE SA

Test: July 2009
    NOR: Sept 2009
    Interview: Nov 2009
    NOR: Dec 30, 2010
    TO: Jan 3, 2011
    Medical: Jan 14, 2011
    Drug Screen: Jan 26, 2011
    Cleared all Pre-Employment Checks Feb 23, 2011
    Met with BI: March 9, 2011
    BI Complete: April 26, 2011

Comment

yea basically they show small clips of scenarios and you pick what the best plan of action is... first time i've taken a test like this for any pd but thought during and after, that the test itself was a joke and thought i would have done extremely well because most of the scenarios were so ridiculous. Guess I was wrong...

Comment

I have had the same frustrating experience. I passed the written for 4 cities with high scores, no problem! 2 of the most recent cities I tested with used the video test and I failed them both. I was shocked! It seemed like such an easy test but I scored in the low 60's as opposed to low 90's on the other form of the written. I also noticed a large majority of the other candidates also failed the video test. I would love to see how it is evaluated and what they are looking for. Frustrating!

Comment

One big thing they look for on these videos is compassion. Sounds weird but they don't want you to jump to conclusions and be 'super cop'. They want you to slowly move through a game plan showing the person in need that you care while doing treating the subject with respect as well. Don't assume the person they make out to be a bad guy is always the bad guy either. At least that's been my experience on how they (partially) grade them, on top of obvious common sense things.

Comment

Originally posted by INDO745 View Post
            One big thing they look for on these videos is compassion. Sounds weird but they don't want you to jump to conclusions and be 'super cop'. They want you to slowly move through a game plan showing the person in need that you care while doing treating the subject with respect as well. Don't assume the person they make out to be a bad guy is always the bad guy either. At least that's been my experience on how they (partially) grade them, on top of obvious common sense things.
            I agree with this....they are not looking for "john wayne" or "super cop" to handle every situation. They want you to take into consideration everything....for example.

You are in a grocery store, off-duty, armed with your badge, a male subject is attempting to rob the clerk. He threatens that he has a gun, but never displays one. What do you do?

My opinion.....the answer they are not looking for is.....I approach the subject in a tactically safe manor, I show my badge (or annouce presence), pull my gun, and attempt to place the subect under arrest. Why is this wrong IMO....if the suspect had a gun (or any weapon), chances are now he is going to pull it. Once he pulls it you could get shot, the clerk could get shot, he could take a hostage, there are innocent people around, etc. This all makes a bad situation worse.

What I think is the right answer.....get in a tactically sound position if possible, remain calm, be aware of your surroundings, watch the situation closely, if no gun is displayed and no one is being injured, get a description of suspect, maybe attempt to follow suspect outside, get a vehicle description, license plate, description of passengers, direction of travel, etc. Call 911 or if possible tail the vehicle and call for back-up. You dont need to be the hero and solve the situation on your own.

Now, if the suspect pulls a gun and starts shooting, you should attempt to act, however keep certain things in mind. What kind of gun does he have? If its an AR-15 are you going to engage with a handgun? Probably not. If your dead also you do nobody any good. If the situation calls for it, shoot the SOB. Again, the circumstances dictate what to do, maybe you render aid to the victim(s) if need be, call an ambulance, all while getting as much info about the suspect as possible, etc.

Bottom line.....you dont have to be the hero for every situation. Sometimes its the "cowboy" in cops that get them and others hurt.
            ICE SA

Test: July 2009
            NOR: Sept 2009
            Interview: Nov 2009
            NOR: Dec 30, 2010
            TO: Jan 3, 2011
            Medical: Jan 14, 2011
            Drug Screen: Jan 26, 2011
            Cleared all Pre-Employment Checks Feb 23, 2011
            Met with BI: March 9, 2011
            BI Complete: April 26, 2011

Comment

I took the video test in Phoenix about a month ago. The testing personnel made us check our scores before we left to ensure they had been received in the system and I scored lower than I had hoped, 81% on the video portion, but when our group left the test center and everyone was discussing their results I discovered that I had done considerably better than most of them (it seemed the average score was in the mid 60% range). A lot of the guys who smoked me on the PAT ended up not passing the video portion and I only heard one guy score higher than I did (an 85% I believe). If you paid to do the practice test it screened a few videos just like what were on the actual test then gave the reasons for and against the answers. It was definitely challenging and from what I can infer from the practice test and the real deal they definitely wanted to see that you could prioritize correctly (injury accident is more important than a guy blowing a red light), assess each situation individually and not give a cookie cutter answer, and be respectful of citizens and not be an iron fisted a-hole if it isn't necessary (i.e. don't arrest grandpa for his traffic warrant in front of his grandchildren). Other than that I have no idea how someone could prepare or improve their score on the video test, it was rather ridiculous as a whole.
              Last edited by cypherpunk; 05-30-2011, 01:58 PM.

Comment

I got 64 as well and I was wondering if they consider people with scores below 70 if they can't meet the number they need

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3294 users online. 186 members and 3108 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X