300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veteran's Preference while on Active Duty

Is there anyway to get Veteran's Preference while still on active duty? It seems retarded that I can't get 10 points added to my score for CDCR just becuase I still have a job. Anyone have any experience with this? I am pretty ****ed right now.
    R.I.P. Officer Wayne McLaughlin

Originally posted by COASTIE01 View Post
    Is there anyway to get Veteran's Preference while still on active duty? It seems retarded that I can't get 10 points added to my score for CDCR just becuase I still have a job. Anyone have any experience with this? I am pretty ****ed right now.
    Veteran preference is for post service. If you are within in 6 months of discharge you can start your separation physical through the VA and disability determination which will count for your separation physical. By the time you are discharged you would have your determination letter. This letter is vital for getting the 10 point preference. The only other way is to meet the minimum requirements for veterans preference which include service in combat zone or in an action that a campaign medal was issued. Your DD-214 will list all awards while on active service, and this can be used for basis for 10 point preference. Your best best is to get the VA Disability determination letter with 10% or more compensated disability.
    GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

Pretty sure your mistaken on how to qualify. Anyone who has served more than 181 of consecutive active duty since sometime in the 1950's qualifies.

Comment

Why are you ****ed? Do you no understand the word Veteran? If anything happens between now and then, what then? There are rules for a reason. If you think it sucks to follow them, then you are using them for the wrong reason. However if you are just getting off of Active duty, all you would get at first is 5 points. If you have nothing wrong with you, the VA will not give you a rating.
        "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Good to know that your still the same old irishlad, however you are wrong CDCR gives you 10 points for Veteran and 15 points for 100% disabled.

Veteran
          vet·er·an   /ˈvɛtərən, ˈvɛtrən/ Show Spelled
          [vet-er-uhn, ve-truhn] Show IPA

–noun
          1. a person who has had long service or experience in an occupation, office, or the like: a veteran of the police force; a veteran of many sports competitions.
          2. a person who has served in a military force, especially one who has fought in a war: a Vietnam veteran

So I am ****ed for the fact that I should be recieving 10 more points to my score thus being higher on the elgibility list. Any other brilliant gems?

Comment

do u have any deployments under your belt?specifically OIF/OEF? they are not going to rate you if you're on active duty.

Comment

I fail to see what deployments have to do with my question. There is Veteran or Disabled Veteran. It has nothing to do with deployments

Comment

I was confused about the deployments...for some authorities, you have to serve during a certain period of time to rate a certain amount of points which is what GIOSTRORMUSNR was talking about, I believe...but here you go...

"To receive preference, a veteran must have been discharged or released from active duty in the Armed Forces under honorable conditions (i.e., with an honorable or general discharge). As defined in 5 U.S.C. 2101(2), "Armed Forces" means the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps and Coast Guard. The veteran must also be eligible under one of the preference categories below (also shown on the Standard Form (SF) 50, Notification of Personnel Action)."

thats from the OPM website. I believe they know what they are talking about....Read more here:

http://www.opm.gov/staffingPortal/Vetguide.asp#2When

Comment

Pretty sure your mistaken on how to qualify. Anyone who has served more than 181 of consecutive active duty since sometime in the 1950's qualifies.
                  Being a veteran or service in time of war or having a campaign medal is 5 points. 10% or more compensated disability is 10 point preference. The requirement for veteran preference is a different standard. There are also 2 other preference choices available VRA (Veteran Recruiting Authority) and VEOA (Veteran Employment Opportunity Act) both are used for veteran preference and have requirements that have to be met in order to be eligible for them. That is why your DD-214 is needed to show what deployments you have been on.
                  Last edited by GIOSTORMUSNRET; 05-21-2011, 10:06 PM.

Comment

My head hurts....

To the OP....Veteran means just that. You have to have a good 214 to be one....and if you are on AD.....you're not....

It's that simple......

If that bothers you.....get out honorable and start applying. Till then, you are just a regular joe according to hiring practices that the US Gov uses......

Comment

I was able to use veterans pref for civil service tests while on active duty
                      CBPO
                      TO - 05/08 JFK
                      EOD - 12/05/2011

Comment

Originally posted by LIcoastie View Post
                        I was able to use veterans pref for civil service tests while on active duty
                        Civil Service and US Gov jobs are two different animals.....

Some may allow it during Civil Service test.... US Gov won't. You must have a 214 in hand to apply.....
                        Last edited by Bearcat357; 05-22-2011, 04:52 PM. Reason: Mis-read statement

Comment

Some local government agencies will allow you to get the 5 point preference before you actuall discharge date, but only if you are within 30 days and you have to be able to provide the DD-214 with in the 30 days. Federal Agencies require the DD-214 and SF-15 as well as the VA Disability Letter as part of your application package in order to get the preference if you want 10 point preference. They cannot accept supporting documents for your application after the closing date of the announcement. Like Bearcat said, it's the exception not the rule to get veteran preference points before having your DD-214.

Comment

Good to know that your still the same old irishlad, however you are wrong CDCR gives you 10 points for Veteran and 15 points for 100% disabled.

Veteran
                            vet·er·an   /ˈvɛtərən, ˈvɛtrən/ Show Spelled
                            [vet-er-uhn, ve-truhn] Show IPA

–noun
                            1. a person who has had long service or experience in an occupation, office, or the like: a veteran of the police force; a veteran of many sports competitions.
                            2. a person who has served in a military force, especially one who has fought in a war: a Vietnam veteran

So I am ****ed for the fact that I should be recieving 10 more points to my score thus being higher on the elgibility list. Any other brilliant gems?
                            Thank for the 5th grade english class there. You don't qualify as a Veteran until you are out of the Military! According to you, you are still active duty.

So here, I will help you out. When you tested, where you or are you at least 6 months out?

https://exams.spb.ca.gov/examdocs/vets.cfm

What is it with current military and their attitude lately?
                            "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

100% disabled mean you're unemployable, you can't work and collect 100% VA disability at the same time. At least not for any federal agency. Not sure if you can work for a private company with 100% VA Disability.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4033 users online. 215 members and 3818 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X