Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you been involved in any undetected crimes?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Have you been involved in any undetected crimes?

    As it pertains to many background/poly investigations... how exactly do you define undetected crimes? Are agencies interested here in things like buying beer for minors, downloading music illegally, etc? Or is this question intended to be reserved for more serious matters?

    I am assuming that if I can think of something that I have not listed prior on the background questionnaire, that my best bet is to say that yes, I have been involved in undetected crimes. Will this hurt my application or is everyone else in the same boat?

  • #2
    Will this hurt my application or is everyone else in the same boat?
    It will hurt you a lot more if they find out something you didn't list. It is an automatic DQ and will follow you every place you apply. Not listing something is the same as lying and it shows a lack of integrity and character.
    Last edited by jcioccke; 05-20-2011, 08:12 PM.
    MDRDEP:

    There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

    Comment


    • #3
      Message deleted
      Last edited by Blue Steel; 06-12-2011, 06:53 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Msuz View Post
        As it pertains to many background/poly investigations... how exactly do you define undetected crimes? Are agencies interested here in things like buying beer for minors, downloading music illegally, etc? Or is this question intended to be reserved for more serious matters?

        I am assuming that if I can think of something that I have not listed prior on the background questionnaire, that my best bet is to say that yes, I have been involved in undetected crimes. Will this hurt my application or is everyone else in the same boat?
        Just be honest about everything. When you meet with your BI tell him or her, "this is what I've done, does it need to be documented?" and before you get strapped in for your poly you'll go over - in detail - every question. Do yourself a favor and don't try to cheat the system. Just be up front about it, and if it is minor (i.e. downloading a few songs) they'll almost certainly tell you to disregard it.

        Like jcioccke said be honest. The only thing that automatically can't be worked out is a lie.

        Good luck.

        Comment


        • #5
          They will ask you to discuss your "crimes." You spill your guts about music downloads and other measely crap of little or no importance. Then the BI/poly will say, "Okay, other than what we've discussed earlier, have you ever committed any undetected crime." You answer, "No," and the machine doesn't register....and we're all good. Okay? R-E-L-A-X!!!!!!!!
          "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

          Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

          Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

          Comment


          • #6
            Like others have stated it often pertains to more major disqualifying misdemeanors and felonies. I alway list that I have trespassed on peoples property in the past like walking under a barbed wire fence or the like. It is no big deal unless it falls into the category of disqualifying misdemeanors or felonies like hitting your wife or significant other with a hammer.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Msuz View Post
              As it pertains to many background/poly investigations... how exactly do you define undetected crimes? Are agencies interested here in things like buying beer for minors, downloading music illegally, etc? Or is this question intended to be reserved for more serious matters?
              I always took it to mean any activity that you could be charged with criminally that was not detected no matter how minor. I let my BI decide what wasn't worth mentioning.

              Comment


              • #8
                All the previous post a spot on. During my BI, I have disclosed sneaking into movies etc. BI and poly examiner said they didn't care about such minor things. Just tell the truth. My attitude was if I DQ'd by telling whole truth life goes on. YOu don't want to get caught in a lie or a misunderstanding. Good luck

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Msuz View Post
                  As it pertains to many background/poly investigations... how exactly do you define undetected crimes? Are agencies interested here in things like buying beer for minors, downloading music illegally, etc? Or is this question intended to be reserved for more serious matters?

                  I am assuming that if I can think of something that I have not listed prior on the background questionnaire, that my best bet is to say that yes, I have been involved in undetected crimes. Will this hurt my application or is everyone else in the same boat?
                  If they were only asking for serious crimes it would have been written as, "Have you been involved in any undetected serious crimes?" If it's written just "any undetected crimes" I would report any (serious or otherwise) undetected crimes. Being upfront and forthcoming is the safest route when applying for police jobs.
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Depends on the agency you apply to and the type of crimes.

                    Guy I was with in the FBI process was booted during the initial Security interview because he admitted to downloading 100's of dvd's, music and games. The FBI takes this seriouslys as they are the ones who investigate those crimes, the fact that he had downloaded ONE kids movie for his daughter played a pivital role as it was downloaded after he had applied to the FBI

                    TIME/FREQUENCY/AMOUNT playes a role regardless of what it was....

                    Your better off telling the truth and getting booted prior to the poly then lying and failing the poly.

                    If you fail a poly, any time you apply to any other position that requires poly and they ask "HAVE YOU EVER FAILED A POLY OR BEEN REFUSED A SECURITY CLEARANCE" and you answer "YES FOR LYING" You will never get a position again

                    now if you tell the truth, you can answer no to that question. Big difference.

                    tell the truth. If you are thinking of lying your not SA material anyways. the fact that you have to ask this forum. shows your character

                    you should not be an SA imo
                    FBI SA
                    Applied 4-10-2010
                    Phase I 5-26-2010 PASSED
                    Phase II 10-28-2010 PASSED
                    Fitness 11-10-2010 PASSED 22 pts
                    POLY 11-17-2010
                    Med TBD
                    BG TBD
                    Q TBD

                    FAMS
                    July 2010 Applied
                    October 2010 COE

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I don't think he was saying he was going to lie, I just think he was worried, because "any undetected crimes" is a broad range, and everyone has done something illegal in the past. As everyone has said, just be honest, but don't stick your foot in your mouth either. Every agency has its policies, and just because you fail a polygraph, doesn't mean you were lying and you will never get hired by any agency/department. I have a few co-workers who failed the first time, and took a 2nd and passed with flying colors.

                      Just relax and be truthful. Yes, you feel like a criminal, but hey, you will most likely get the job.


                      Originally posted by CI_wannabe View Post
                      Depends on the agency you apply to and the type of crimes.

                      Guy I was with in the FBI process was booted during the initial Security interview because he admitted to downloading 100's of dvd's, music and games. The FBI takes this seriouslys as they are the ones who investigate those crimes, the fact that he had downloaded ONE kids movie for his daughter played a pivital role as it was downloaded after he had applied to the FBI

                      TIME/FREQUENCY/AMOUNT playes a role regardless of what it was....

                      Your better off telling the truth and getting booted prior to the poly then lying and failing the poly.

                      If you fail a poly, any time you apply to any other position that requires poly and they ask "HAVE YOU EVER FAILED A POLY OR BEEN REFUSED A SECURITY CLEARANCE" and you answer "YES FOR LYING" You will never get a position again

                      now if you tell the truth, you can answer no to that question. Big difference.

                      tell the truth. If you are thinking of lying your not SA material anyways. the fact that you have to ask this forum. shows your character

                      you should not be an SA imo

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by CI_wannabe View Post
                        Depends on the agency you apply to and the type of crimes.


                        tell the truth. If you are thinking of lying your not SA material anyways. the fact that you have to ask this forum. shows your character

                        you should not be an SA imo
                        Thats pretty harsh. I absoultely was not thinking of lying. I was basically wondering if I should include every minor thing I have ever done, even if I percieve them as not being a big deal.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by FlashTACP View Post

                          I don't think he was saying he was going to lie, I just think he was worried, because "any undetected crimes" is a broad range, and everyone has done something illegal in the past.
                          Exactly

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Msuz View Post
                            Thats pretty harsh. I absoultely was not thinking of lying. I was basically wondering if I should include every minor thing I have ever done, even if I percieve them as not being a big deal.
                            I apologize. I misunderstood.
                            FBI SA
                            Applied 4-10-2010
                            Phase I 5-26-2010 PASSED
                            Phase II 10-28-2010 PASSED
                            Fitness 11-10-2010 PASSED 22 pts
                            POLY 11-17-2010
                            Med TBD
                            BG TBD
                            Q TBD

                            FAMS
                            July 2010 Applied
                            October 2010 COE

                            Comment

                            MR300x250 Tablet

                            Collapse

                            What's Going On

                            Collapse

                            There are currently 7065 users online. 358 members and 6707 guests.

                            Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                            Welcome Ad

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X