300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parallel Background Investigation/Security Clearance

Did some searching through previous posts but couldn't find an answer to this question...

When you are processing for a federal position that requires a security clearance (SF-86) - does the agency conduct its own background investigation or just rely on the entity [OPM?] tasked with providing the security clearance?

I guess logically it wouldn't make much sense to run two parallel investigations, but I suppose certain agencies could have different hiring standards/criteria etc...

If anyone can speak to this I'd appreciate your insight - thanks.

really depends. Some agencies use OPM, others don't

Comment

All of my backgrounds were done by OPM. It may depend on whether your position is civilian or 1811.

Comment

As stated before it depends on which agency you are applying. In essence if you apply with the FBI they will do their own, ICE/CBP will do the own, DoS will do their own. Now when you apply to several of these at the same time.....several BI's at the same time !

Comment

Originally posted by PaxSR9 View Post
          All of my backgrounds were done by OPM. It may depend on whether your position is civilian or 1811.
          Should have been more specific - I'm applying for Law Enforcement 'type' positions 1811-1801-0083
          Last edited by secondchance1; 05-20-2011, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RetNC View Post
            As stated before it depends on which agency you are applying. In essence if you apply with the FBI they will do their own, ICE/CBP will do the own, DoS will do their own. Now when you apply to several of these at the same time.....several BI's at the same time !
            Do those afore mentioned agencies require a SF-86? If so, then that respective agency vets the information contained on it???
            Last edited by secondchance1; 05-20-2011, 10:34 AM.

Comment

That is correct.

Comment

From what I've seen: Most agencies conduct their own "suitability for employment" BI's based on their standards. OPM does the Security Clearance end of things...

Comment

Got it. Thanks to all...

Comment

Originally posted by Wrangler81 View Post
                    From what I've seen: Most agencies conduct their own "suitability for employment" BI's based on their standards. OPM does the Security Clearance end of things...
                    That's how my BI's were done. I had 2 BI's done while I was an applicant/new hire: 1 done by my agency (1811) for suitability for a sworn LEO position and a separate 1 done by OPM for my security clearance (SSBI for TS clearance).
                    sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4216 users online. 219 members and 3997 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X