300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Hired In Federal Law Enforcement/Background Investigation

I'm interested in getting hired by a federal law enforcement agency, primarily the DEA or USMS and I have a question about my background info. I was hired relatively young, (23), and worked for one department for a year and went to another department (for a 20k raise) where I stayed for 1.5 years but was terminated while still on probation due to "not meeting their expectations". To sum it up, I went from a very proactive high crime area to a lazy and political department with not as much crime so I really didn't jive with the administrations idea of a good officer. I was never written up or suspended, just late to work once (due to the highways flooding) as well as late to court once (alarm malfunction). I got several guns and a lot of felony drug arrests while there and have the stats to prove it, I also never got a bad mark by my FTOs. So, will gaining steady employment for 5-10 years (hopefully in a police department) and obtaining a bachelors or higher give me a shot? I also have close to a decade in the USMC reserves with tours overseas and am a senior NCO. I've never been fired before, I have had a lot of jobs though (security jobs so the turnover is usually high) and I've never really been in trouble or anything. Anyone with opinions or information please let me know, thanks.

How old are you? I ask because agent positions with federal LE agencies (like DEA and USMS) have age restrictions of 37 yoa, not sure how close you are to that age (or how much closer doing 5-10 years with a local PD/SO will bring you).
    sigpic

Comment

In 10 years I'll be 35, I have a lot of time to redeem myself that's why I'm asking what their standards are.

Comment

I would say to go for your BS, and try to keep a steady job for the next few years... Once you have your degree knocked out start applying like crazy!...
        CBPO
        Written: 08/29/2007
        EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

You got let go on probation after 1 1/2 years?

Getting hired at 23 is not that young and not that uncommon either. Don't use that as an excuse. Can you still get hired by an agency? What about the first agency you worked at?

But here's where my math is a little messed up. You were hired at 23, worked at one agency for a year. Went to another for 1 1/2 years and in 10 years you will be 35? Am I correct to say you are 25 then? And then the almost a decade of military background...?
          "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv View Post
            You got let go on probation after 1 1/2 years?

Getting hired at 23 is not that young and not that uncommon either. Don't use that as an excuse. Can you still get hired by an agency? What about the first agency you worked at?

But here's where my math is a little messed up. You were hired at 23, worked at one agency for a year. Went to another for 1 1/2 years and in 10 years you will be 35? Am I correct to say you are 25 then? And then the almost a decade of military background...?
            I have to agree with you.. Even if he entered at 17 he wouldn't have close to a decade reserve time and just be 25.. The math just doesn't work.
            GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

I said close, meaning over 5 and in 10 years I'll have well over a decade. Probation was 24 months long and if you aren't from the Chicago area you can't comment on the politics of the region. Also, I was not using my age as an excuse for getting let go I am using it as a measurement of how long I have until I am ineligible for hire in the federal system. Instead of trying to discredit me how about you stick to the questions asked.

Comment

Must be that new math.

Comment

Yep, my watch calculator broke. And who's to say I don't know politics around Chi-town? Anyway, best of luck if you can get hired...
                  "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Work on your degree, get a job, keep your nose clean, apply in a couple of years. If they want to hire you they will, if not they have a reason....

Comment

Thanks for the responses, whatever is meant to happen will happen I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by MorseAve1134 View Post
                        I said close, meaning over 5 and in 10 years I'll have well over a decade. Probation was 24 months long and if you aren't from the Chicago area you can't comment on the politics of the region. Also, I was not using my age as an excuse for getting let go I am using it as a measurement of how long I have until I am ineligible for hire in the federal system. Instead of trying to discredit me how about you stick to the questions asked.
                        Well depending on your disability rating, and whether you are veteran preference eligible, the maximum age limit for federal leo jobs is null and void. I posted information in another thread, as well as irishlad, about a ruling that requires federal leo agencies that have maximum age to make exception for veteran preference eligible candidtates as long as they meet the physical and minimum requirements for hire. This ruling was handed down by the Merit System protection board and applies to all federal leo agencies that fall under the FERS plus retirement system.

Comment

Instead of trying to discredit me how about you stick to the questions asked.
                          How about this, you don't get to dictate the response that you receive. If you don't like them, then don't come on a forum and ask questions. If you only want opinions that stroke your ego then ask your mom for advice. If you truly want to work in LE again, especially federal LE then grow some thicker skin.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeymedic View Post
                            How about this, you don't get to dictate the response that you receive. If you don't like them, then don't come on a forum and ask questions. If you only want opinions that stroke your ego then ask your mom for advice. If you truly want to work in LE again, especially federal LE then grow some thicker skin.
                            LMAO epic respnse.

Comment

Great attitude, kid, I'm sure you'll go far if you continue to respond to others answering your questions like this.
                              sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6717 users online. 355 members and 6362 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X