Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Zoological Park Police (NZPP)

The NZPP just had an announcement on USAjobs for 9 positions that closed on 5/12/11. Sounds like an interesting job so I applied. Anybody else apply?

Any current or former NZPP officers or anybody who can give some insight into what the day to day involves? Pros & Cons? I understand they're fully sworn LEO's who attend FLETC.
    "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress."
    John Adams

USAJOBS Announcement

Job Title: Police Officer
    Agency: Smithsonian Institution
    Sub Agency: Smithsonian
    Job Announcement Number: 11R-RB-296891-MPA-OFEO

Salary Range: $42,209.00 - $54,875.00 /year
    Series & Grade: NZ-0083-07/07
    Promotion Potential: 07
    Open Period: Thursday, April 28, 2011 to Thursday, May 12, 2011
    Position Information: Full-Time, Permanent Federal
    Duty Locations: Washington DC Metro Area, DC
    Who May Be Considered: This position is open to current and former Federal employees with permanent status or reinstatement eligibility. Individuals who are eligible for a special appointing authority may also apply; such as applicants with a disability, former Peace Corps volunteers, certain military spouses, veterans seeking a VRA/VEOA appointment, or veterans who have been separated from armed forces under honorable conditions after 3 years or more of continuous active service.
    Job Summary:
    This position is located in the Office of Facilities, Engineering and Operations; Office of Protection Services, Police Unit at the National Zoological Park (NZP). The employee provides law enforcement involved in the protection of life and property within the boundaries of the Park.

The Smithsonian Institution values and seeks a diverse workforce. Join us in "Inspiring Generations through Knowledge and Discovery."

Key Requirements:

Pass Pre-employment Background Investigation
    May need to complete a Probationary Period
    Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with Selective Service.
    Required to submit to a drug screening/urinalysis prior to appointment.
    Required to qualify semi-annually with the NZP police force firearm.
    Must possess a valid state drivers license.

Major Duties:

Patrols on foot or in a motor vehicle/motorized cycle as designated and is assigned to one or more areas of the park to prevent and detect violations of the law.

Maintains order within the park, promotes public understanding of laws and ordinances and cooperation in their enforcement, directs pedestrian and motor vehicle traffic, gives first aid in cases of emergency, supplies information to the public pertaining to the park and its collection in a direct and courteous manner, and assists the public whenever possible in a similar manner.

Takes immediate command at scenes of crimes, accidents, incidents and other emergency situations until such time as he is relieved by a supervisor. Courteously but firmly directs citizens to assist as deemed necessary and summons necessary aid.

Immediately communicates accurate and concise information about accidents, incidents and other police problems to other police officers or to citizens.

Guards public officials, prisoners, citizens in danger and various sorts of property.

Qualifications:
    Experience:
    You must have one year of specialized experience (Federal or other) at the GS-6 level that is close or similar to the work of this job. The experience includes activities gained in a municipal or federal law enforcement agency such as providing protection of property and valuable objects against the following hazards: fire, theft, damage, accident, trespass and maintaining order and protecting the lives of staff, animals and visitors.

Part-time and/or unpaid experience related to this position will be considered to determine the total number of years and months of experience. Be sure to note the number of paid or unpaid hours worked each week.

Investigation of Fitness

A character investigation may be conducted on applicants selected for employment. The purpose of such an investigation is to secure evidence of the candidate's honesty, integrity, general character, and loyalty to the U.S. Government. Such investigations will be conducted under the security requirements of the hiring agency.

Medical Requirements

The duties of these positions require moderate to arduous physical exertion and/or duties of a hazardous nature. The following medical requirements apply to all applicants: good near and distant vision, ability to distinguish basic colors, and ability to hear the conversational voice. Agencies may establish additional, job-related physical or medical requirements provided that the specific position(s) involves the arduous or hazardous duties to which the physical requirements relate.

Applicants and employees must have the capacity to perform the essential functions of the position without risk to themselves or others. Applicants and employees must possess emotional and mental stability. In most instances, a specific medical condition or impairment will not automatically disqualify an applicant or employee. A medical condition or impairment is disqualifying only if the condition, for good medical reason, precludes assignment to or warrants restriction from the duties of the specific position. For some positions, the loss or impairment of a specific function may be compensated for by the satisfactory use of a prosthesis or mechanical aid. Reasonable accommodation shall also be considered in determining an applicant's ability to perform the duties of a position. Reasonable accommodation may include, but is not limited to the use of assistive devices, job modification or restructuring, provision of readers and interpreters, or adjusted work schedules.

All positions involving Federal motor vehicle operation carry the additional medical requirements specified in 5 CFR 930 and the "General Policies and Instructions" section of this Manual.

This page can be found on the web at the following url:

http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/St...s0000/0083.htm
    Qualification requirements, including one year time-in-grade at the next lower grade level for promotion candidates, must be met within 30 days of the job announcement closing date.

How You Will Be Evaluated:
    Your application will be evaluated first for the basic qualifications described above. The applications that meet the basic qualifications will be evaluated further against the following criteria:

Ability to provide foot and motor patrol in a public environment.

Ability to provide law enforcement to the general public.

Experience investigating crimes, accidents, and incidents.

Ability to communicate orally and in writing to report incidents.

Ability to provide protection in a public environment.

Important Note:
    Your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses to the occupational questionnaire or other assessment tool for consistency. If a determination is made that you have rated yourself higher than is supported by your resume, you will be assigned a rating commensurate to your described experience.

Your resume should provide detailed information regarding how your education and experience relate to this position, including the major duties and qualifications criteria listed.
    To preview questions please click here.

Benefits:
    The Smithsonian offers a comprehensive benefits package that
    includes, in part, vacation and sick leave, holidays, health/life
    insurance, accident insurance, and excellent retirement program
    options.

Please see Benefits at www.sihr.si.edu for a complete
    description.

Other Information:
    Flexible Spending Accounts - http://www.fsafeds.com/fsafeds/index.asp

Health Insurance - http://www.opm.gov/insure/health/index.asp

Leave - http://www.opm.gov/oca/leave/index.asp

Life Insurance - http://www.opm.gov/insure/life/index.asp

Long Term Care Insurance - http://www.ltcfeds.com

Retirement Program - http://www.opm.gov/retire/index.asp

How To Apply:
    Click on the "Apply Online" button on the upper right side of the page.

Please Note:

You must apply for this position online through the 'Apply Online' button and submit required supplemental documents (if they are relevant to you).

You may submit required documents by uploading them online during the application process;
    OR
    You may manually fax required documents. Faxes are received by an automated system, not a physical fax machine. Documents that are faxed as part of the application process must be sent with the system generated cover sheet by the closing date. Documents faxed without the system generated coversheet are not retrievable and cannot be considered as part of the application package.

The complete application package, including any required documents, is due in the Smithsonian Office of Human Resources on the closing date of the announcement by 11:59 PM Eastern Time.

If you are unable to apply online, paper applications may be accepted with prior approval of the Contact Person listed below.

Required Documents:
    Your application package should include the following documents:

Detailed resume created in the USAJOBS Resume Builder.

Proof of prior federal service such as the latest SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action.

A recent performance evaluation.

Proof of Veteran's Preference - DD214 (Member 4 Copy) if you are requesting a special appointment authority, such as VRA or VEOA

Proof of severe disability if you are requesting special placement consideration.

Proof of eligibility for a military spouse appointment, such as a permanent change station military order.

Proof of eligibility for any other special appointing authority not specifically mentioned here.

Contact Information:
    Robinette Burrell
    Phone: 202-633-6318
    Fax: 571-258-4052
    TDD: 202-633-6409
    Email: [email protected] Agency Information:
    Smithsonian
    Office of Human Resources
    POB 37012, 600 Maryland Avenue, MRC 517
    Washington, DC 20013-7012
    Fax: 571-258-4052

What To Expect Next:
    You will receive an e-mail to acknowledge that your application has been received. Please be aware that the confirmation e-mail could reside in your "junk" or "bulk" mail folder depending on your filters.

The Smithsonian receives many applications for each job. Each application is reviewed carefully which may take a few weeks. We will send you an e-mail to update you as we go through phases of the application review process. You may also check your application status by logging into www.usajobs.gov and selecting the tab "My USAJOBS;" e-mailing [email protected]; or by contacting the Office of Human Resources Representative listed.

Additional Information:

Tips on applying for Smithsonian jobs are available at www.sihr.si.edu/jobs.cfm.
    The Smithsonian does not pay relocation expenses.
    The Smithsonian embraces diversity and equal employment opportunity (www.si.edu/oeema).

EEO Policy Statement: http://www.usajobs.gov/eeo
    Reasonable Accommodation Policy Statement: http://www.usajobs.gov/raps
    Veterans Information: http://www.usajobs.gov/vi
    Legal and Regulatory Guidance: http://www.usajobs.gov/lrg
    "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress."
    John Adams

Comment

They were working 4 on 3 off 10 hr days. If someone has a FLETC cert or local academy cert they will be taken over a non cert.
      I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
        They were working 4 on 3 off 10 hr days. If someone has a FLETC cert or local academy cert they will be taken over a non cert.
        Cool, I prefer 10's. I've got status and a FLETC cert. Any idea what's all involved in the hiring process and how long it usually takes from vacancy closing to EOD?
        Last edited by ASR62; 05-15-2011, 12:26 AM. Reason: spelling
        John Adams

Comment

Originally posted by ASR62 View Post
          Cool, I prefer 10's. I've got status and a FLETC cert. Any idea what's all involved in the hiring process and how long it usually takes from vacancy closing to EOD?
          I applied back in 08 and was referred then the interview.. In all took about 4 weeks.

Comment

I applied back in 08 and was referred then the interview.. In all took about 4 weeks.
            That's pretty quick. Do they get a referral list from OPM like most other govt. jobs? Was the interview by phone?
            John Adams

Comment

Yes, they get cert lists. I had to go to the NZPP police station for the interview.

Comment

Yes, they get cert lists. I had to go to the NZPP police station for the interview.
                Orlandofed, thanks again for the info.
                John Adams

Comment

Found this info. and thought it was interesting.

National Zoological Park Police

The National Zoological Park Police (NZPP) began its service to the Smithsonian National Zoological Park and Washington DC on August 6, 1890 with 2 watchmen appointed to watch the Zoological Park of 165 acres and to perform a variety of duties in addition to law enforcement duties.

In 1891, 6 Metropolitan Police Officers were appointed to patrol the Zoo and perform law enforcement duties. In 1933, there was a mounted horse patrol established and flourished until it was disbanded in 1966.

In the 21st century, the National Zoological Park Police, with their unique uniforms; dark green pants, khaki shirts, Stetson hats, and gold badges enforce the DC Code and US Code with a partnership with the Metropolitan Police District Of Columbia (MPDC) and the United States Park Police (USPP) no longer resemble the meger Police Force of over 100 years ago.

With the every changing climate in today’s society, the NZPP is a Federal Police Force that encompasses a professional group of men and women trained and ready to respond to almost any call for assistance; from a lost child to much more serious matters. The department is equipped with Mountain Bikes, Segway, Motorcycles, Police Vehicles, and Gators and of course the traditional foot beat officer.

NZPP interacts with over 3.5 million visitors a year, in addition the many neighborhoods that surround the park inclusive of commercial businesses and private residences.
                  Last edited by ASR62; 05-17-2011, 11:13 AM.
                  John Adams

Comment

Talked with HR today and she said there were 202 people who applied for the status candidate announcement and over 700 who applied for the competitive announcement. Hey Orlandofed.... that seems like a lot for 9 positions. Did that many apply back when you did or do you think it's because there are very few LE jobs right now due to the budget cuts?
                    John Adams

Comment

I applied for both the police officer and sgt positions. Iam RIF so I get head of the line privledges. Im guessing that alot of ex military and folks looking for a wider patrol area applied. I was also rated and qualified for the VA Police in DC.

Comment

I know this is late; but, has anyone else been called for an interview yet? Can I get some advise as to what to expect.

Comment

Originally posted by diveman_21 View Post
                          I know this is late; but, has anyone else been called for an interview yet? Can I get some advise as to what to expect.

I interview tomorrow. When's yours? I was told it's a panel interview with high ranking officers. Apparently they have been interviewing for a few weeks now. I was just advised on tues that afterwards I go for a urine test and get fitted for uniforms.
                          John Adams

Comment

Originally posted by ASR62 View Post
                            I interview tomorrow. When's yours? I was told it's a panel interview with high ranking officers. Apparently they have been interviewing for a few weeks now. I was just advised on tues that afterwards I go for a urine test and get fitted for uniforms.
                            Make sure you know a decent amout of info about some of the animals that are in the zoo (i.e. eating habits, behavioral issues, etc.). I was asked a few questions like this during my interview. It seemed like the most were about the lions.

Comment

Originally posted by Cman21 View Post
                              Make sure you know a decent amout of info about some of the animals that are in the zoo (i.e. eating habits, behavioral issues, etc.). I was asked a few questions like this during my interview. It seemed like the most were about the lions.
                              Thanks for the heads up. Did you also have a urine test and were you fitted for uniforms? Where did you park?
                              John Adams

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3733 users online. 147 members and 3586 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X