Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IRS 1802 to 1811

Hi,

I recently applied to an IRS Tax Fraud Investigative Assistant posting. Is this a good position to take to get experience in order to one day apply to be an IRS Criminal Investigator? Or is it basically a clerical job with little hope of being turned into something else (there was another forum for an 1802 position and the consensus was it wasn't that useful for gaining investigative experience)?

Any thoughts/help appreciated.

I am in a different federal agency but our "investigative assistants" just perform clerical duties.

Comment

Originally posted by o2force View Post
      I am in a different federal agency but our "investigative assistants" just perform clerical duties.
      Exactly, investigative assistants, while important jobs in any 1811 agency, are secretaries. It's not investigative duties, it's doing clerical work needed for agents doing the investigations. Same thing as an administrative assistant in the private sector.
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the insite guys. The only reason I would take the job would be to enhance my experience for an 1811 spot, and it definitely doesn't seem like I'll give me that.

Comment

from my experience, getting a federal job is a lot about being able to articulate your KSA's and how they will translate into an 1811 position. This means that it is not necessary to have federal experience.

For instance, a knowledge could be accounting, managerial experience, or writing reports. These skills can easily be acquired in the private sector.
          Last edited by o2force; 05-11-2011, 08:50 PM.

Comment

CYA...Can you articulate.....A TFIA is part of the investigative group in CI.

You would learn how we do everything, you would learn are processes.

When you applied to CI to be a 1811, you could apply as an internal candidate, you could also interview as a known commodity. We are human in CI, who do you think has an edge; unknown or known.

You need to have the basic still (accounting). To be most competitive, you should have a master degree.
            "From now until the end of the world, we and it shall be remembered. We few, we Band of Brothers. For he who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare ("King Henry V")

Comment

Originally posted by Scout0315 View Post
              When you applied to CI to be a 1811, you could apply as an internal candidate, you could also interview as a known commodity. We are human in CI, who do you think has an edge; unknown or known.
              That was part of my logic. Have you seen an 1802 move into an 1811 position?

Thanks

Comment

At ICE I heard of one that was an investigative assistant then went to 1811. He had to apply like anybody else but he breezed through the process.

Ive heard of simliar stories with the FBI and DEA.
                CBPO
                Exam: Retook exam: 11/2010
                TO: 2/2011
                Medical: 3/22/2011
                PT Test: 3/22/2011
                VBT: 3/2011
                Background: 3/2011
                Drug Test: 4/2011
                Referred to TSU: 5/2011
                PT Test 2: TBD
                FLETC: Good Question lol
                CBP Officer:

USMS- Region 8
                Info Session 9/2009
                Interview 3/2010
                COE 5/2010
                Medical 5/2010
                Fit/Background 7/2010
                All clear as of 11/2010
                FCIP Over, all applicants scrapped. (GAME OVER) 3/2011 :'(

Comment

Originally posted by Jor3rd View Post
                  That was part of my logic. Have you seen an 1802 move into an 1811 position?

Thanks
                  3 out of 10 agents in my group were TFIAs.

A FBI agent I work with on a health care task force was an IA, a TIGTA SA I know was a TFIA for the IRS.

So people do it successfully all the time.
                  "From now until the end of the world, we and it shall be remembered. We few, we Band of Brothers. For he who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare ("King Henry V")

Comment

Glad to know there is the possibility of transforming the position into an 1811 (3 out 10 seems promising). From the job description it did appear one could get some valuable experience; although the more I re-read it I see that it's what's been described previously.

I really appreciate the responses.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6359 users online. 379 members and 5980 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X