300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employment background?

Hi, I know that this has been hammered home more than once but I was just curious if anyone could basically critique my history and chances of getting a LEO job more specifically an 1811 position. I have been applying to every LEO agency I can think of, from the Pittsburgh Police to all of the federal agencies but I have had no luck. After my most recent application to the Pittsburgh Police, their response was that I am "not a competitive applicant at this time". So here is my background and history and if anyone can give me any suggestions of how to be a more competitive applicant I would greatly appreciate it.

I am 24 and have a bachelors degree in Political Science with minors in Compute Science and Sociology.
    I will receive my Masters Degree in Social and Public Policy/ Conflict Resolution next week.
    I have worked as a lifeguard in high school and I worked for 2 years in the local court system as an intern.
    I am currently working at a major event staffing and security company as a security supervisor. As such I have been part of major sporting events such as the 2011 Winter Classic and various NFL kickoff events and an AFC championship game/ceremony. As doing so I am responsible for 20-50 staff members as well as responding to any security incidents in various areas of the stadium.
    I also have my PA armed security certification and do smaller armed security events.

With that background I feel that I should be competitive for at least one entry level LEO position but I have had zero luck. If anyone has any suggestions of how I could make myself more competitive I would greatly appreciate it.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I am a certified PADI Rescue Diver and an Eagle Scout
    Last edited by duqjeep2010; 04-30-2011, 09:38 AM.

Thats more than I had when I started, maybe try doing some time with a reserve unit?
    "Praise the Lord and pass the Ammunition."

Comment

I feel the same. I have a Bachelors and 4 years active duty infantry and I'm not even getting refereed. Competition must be insane....

Comment

This isn't a great time to jump to an 1811 position. Employment rates are low and budget cuts are prevalent. You have a decent background, but because of the economic situation there is stiff competition. There are other non-1811 agencies that can get you "1811" experience. That might be a good place to start.

Comment

Try CBP...

Comment

I guess I should have been more specific in saying that I seem to be getting the big thumbs down by all LEO agencies that I am applying to not just 1811 positions.

As for time in the military I am working on my Air Force OTS application package, but tracking back 7 years of your life takes time. Plus it doesn't help much that the next nonrated board won't be until February 2012.
            Last edited by duqjeep2010; 04-29-2011, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Maybe it's something other than your employment background.

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio5-0 View Post
                Maybe it's something other than your employment background.
                Not sure what it would be. Spotless criminal record, clean credit history, good family life, definitely not a spy considering my dad is a retired Air Force Officer.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I am a certified PADI Rescue Diver and an Eagle Scout
                Last edited by duqjeep2010; 04-30-2011, 09:38 AM.

Comment

It's competitive out there. You don't have a ton of work experience and are only 24. The average age in my DSS BSAC class was near 30. It's just a tough economy out there right now and unti you have the years experience, you look just like the thousands of other well qualified applicants. Keep plugging away. It will pan out eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Ross View Post
                    I feel the same. I have a Bachelors and 4 years active duty infantry and I'm not even getting refereed. Competition must be insane....
                    Do you have your VA Disability rating? Use it to your advantage and get veteran preference. Look for at usa jobs and at the bottom of the search click the yes when it asks if you are a veteran. More jobs appear that way. Another way is do an advanced search and in the job series number put 0083 for police, 1811 for criminal investigator. Some agencies have law enforcement under a different series like U.S. Parks Service use 0025. Use your Veteran preference to your advantage.
                    GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

Sorry duqjeep, I'm not trying to hijack your post. To answer the question, I have a 0 disability rating. However, I get 5 points for being a combat veteran. Preference points do me no good if I cant get referred to compete....

Comment

I'm also in the same spot as dugjeep, BS and MS degree last year, clean criminal+credit, physically fit, can't get a law enforcement job and I'm very frustrated. I submitted for AF OTS last summer and after 1 cancelled and 1 postponed board, they finally held one so I find out in a month. Their selection rates are usually <10% and this board will be even less, especially for non-tech. My other desire is officer school for Marines or Navy also, but for the MC I'm running 6x a week to prepare.

Comment

Has anyone thought maybe a bit of Over Qualification, at least for local PD's and Sheriffs.

Comment

Find an entry position on usajobs.. such as a clerk or technician and work your way up.
                            CBPO
                            Exam: Retook exam: 11/2010
                            TO: 2/2011
                            Medical: 3/22/2011
                            PT Test: 3/22/2011
                            VBT: 3/2011
                            Background: 3/2011
                            Drug Test: 4/2011
                            Referred to TSU: 5/2011
                            PT Test 2: TBD
                            FLETC: Good Question lol
                            CBP Officer:

USMS- Region 8
                            Info Session 9/2009
                            Interview 3/2010
                            COE 5/2010
                            Medical 5/2010
                            Fit/Background 7/2010
                            All clear as of 11/2010
                            FCIP Over, all applicants scrapped. (GAME OVER) 3/2011 :'(

Comment

Originally posted by Raidergx View Post
                              Has anyone thought maybe a bit of Over Qualification, at least for local PD's and Sheriffs.
                              I have thought that, but currently I can not take 6 months off of work and another $6,000 in school loans to do the pay your way police academy to get a job with those departments.

and as for entry positions on usajobs there are few of them in the Pittsburgh area and financially I would need a gs7 or higher position to be able to afford to relocate.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6412 users online. 351 members and 6061 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X