300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice and Help for Graduates

I have recently been thinking about the option of doing an online Masters program, or even the possibility of joining the military, but I thought I would ask you guys/gals for some advice first. I wish to get into Fed LE, but times are tough, and jobs are scarce. so here I am asking for advice.

I am graduating in May (B.S in Criminal Justice, Minor in Sociology) from my local university in San Diego and I am hoping to set myself up now for the future. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

uh.... stay stay out of trouble. Not really sure what you're looking for here...

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan View Post
      uh.... stay stay out of trouble. Not really sure what you're looking for here...
      Sorry if my questions seemed vague,

I guess what I am asking is, what would you do if you were in my situation? Would it be better to go and continue on with school, or join the military (I'm growing on the Coast Guard) I understand that joining the Milt is a huge undergoing, and one must really REALLY want to be apart of it. I am a very motivated person and willing to work hard. So be it school, or the Milt I will put in all effort.

As stated I want to eventually get into Fed LE. ICE/HSI more so than any other at the moment, and or FAMS.

Again thanks in advance for all or any input !

Comment

Learn to speak Arabic, Farsi, or Chinese.

Also get some practical experience (military/etc)

Comment

How old are you? That would influence my decision also. If your mid 20's I would do the military thing and work on the Masters online at the same time. The military will help as far as life experience, veteran preference, and paying for your student loans. Once your close to ending your military stint starting applying where you want to work.
          ICE SA

Test: July 2009
          NOR: Sept 2009
          Interview: Nov 2009
          NOR: Dec 30, 2010
          TO: Jan 3, 2011
          Medical: Jan 14, 2011
          Drug Screen: Jan 26, 2011
          Cleared all Pre-Employment Checks Feb 23, 2011
          Met with BI: March 9, 2011
          BI Complete: April 26, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnylawman38 View Post
            How old are you? That would influence my decision also. If your mid 20's I would do the military thing and work on the Masters online at the same time. The military will help as far as life experience, veteran preference, and paying for your student loans. Once your close to ending your military stint starting applying where you want to work.
            turning 23 in a few months

Comment

Why not join the Cost Guard Reserves? I dont see too many of them fighting overseas. Look into it, you get close to the same stuff as in the military.

When I was looking into enlisting, former military guys convinced me the coast guard is the best route to go.
              Last edited by BiggyWannaBGman; 04-26-2011, 09:11 PM.
              CBPO
              Exam: Retook exam: 11/2010
              TO: 2/2011
              Medical: 3/22/2011
              PT Test: 3/22/2011
              VBT: 3/2011
              Background: 3/2011
              Drug Test: 4/2011
              Referred to TSU: 5/2011
              PT Test 2: TBD
              FLETC: Good Question lol
              CBP Officer:

USMS- Region 8
              Info Session 9/2009
              Interview 3/2010
              COE 5/2010
              Medical 5/2010
              Fit/Background 7/2010
              All clear as of 11/2010
              FCIP Over, all applicants scrapped. (GAME OVER) 3/2011 :'(

Comment

Originally posted by BiggyWannaBGman View Post
                Why not join the Cost Guard Reserves? I dont see too many of them fighting overseas. Look into it, you get close to the same stuff as in the military.

When I was looking into enlisting, former military guys convinced me the coast guard is the best route to go.
                What did they say to convince you that the Reserves were the way to go?

Comment

I would look at uniformed law enforcement agencies such as Secret Service UD, Capitol Police, U.S. Park Police, or Border Patrol. All those agencies have good reputations and are "6C" covered so it stops the clock and you can start putting some years of service under your belt. You can go to grad school while you are with them as well. I always suggest uniformed le/military.

Comment

Originally posted by BiggyWannaBGman View Post

The Coast Guard is one of the 5 branches of the US military. The Coast Guard Reserve is awesome, however you will not get vets preference from being in a reserve force without a campaign medal. There are Coasties overseas, just not that many. I know several who have been to the middle east for a 12 month deployment. The Coast Guard is about a tenth of the size of the Army and when overseas Coasties wear desert camos. There are Reserve only units dedicated to numerous types of deployments called PSU's, and also SWC's which are under a joint Navy command.

Good luck getting in theres about a 2 year wait for active duty and a little more than a year for reserve. Plus you will need to find an open spot where you plan on drilling. And also trying to get a CG recruiter to call you back when all the positions are filled will be hard.

Vets pref will help you out and you won't get that in the reserve, but it would still look good to have under your belt.
                    CBPO
                    TO - 05/08 JFK
                    EOD - 12/05/2011

Comment

Stay out of trouble, avoid speeding tickets, DUIs, any major traffic violation, possession charges, or any other infraction that involves law enforcement. Start running and getting in better shape...now.

Comment

Originally posted by LIcoastie View Post
                        The Coast Guard is one of the 5 branches of the US military. The Coast Guard Reserve is awesome, however you will not get vets preference from being in a reserve force without a campaign medal. There are Coasties overseas, just not that many. I know several who have been to the middle east for a 12 month deployment. The Coast Guard is about a tenth of the size of the Army and when overseas Coasties wear desert camos. There are Reserve only units dedicated to numerous types of deployments called PSU's, and also SWC's which are under a joint Navy command.

Good luck getting in theres about a 2 year wait for active duty and a little more than a year for reserve. Plus you will need to find an open spot where you plan on drilling. And also trying to get a CG recruiter to call you back when all the positions are filled will be hard.

Vets pref will help you out and you won't get that in the reserve, but it would still look good to have under your belt.

Wow two years? Do you know how it is with people wanting to go in as officers?

Comment

Don't ENLIST if you have a degree. Get your COMMISSION as an officer.

Further, I am in the CG and have deployed twice. TRUST ME, we are over there conducting a variety of missions.

Take a second look at the AF Security Forces. They have a sweet gig. The AF has many more opportunities for officers than the CG does.

Comment

Originally posted by Challenge9 View Post
                            Wow two years? Do you know how it is with people wanting to go in as officers?
                            Even worse. Officer's school for the coast guard right now is damn near impossible. If you're graduating with a 4.0 and have a squeaky clean background then apply. That's exactly what a CG recruiter told me.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMerr View Post
                              Even worse. Officer's school for the coast guard right now is damn near impossible. If you're graduating with a 4.0 and have a squeaky clean background then apply. That's exactly what a CG recruiter told me.
                              Ive got the squeaky clean background, but not the 4.0, were you trying to get the officer position?

Whats your status right now?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2640 users online. 139 members and 2501 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X