300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• police process question

Ok so I just got back my score for the county and town police test from November. I scored a 90 on it and was ranked in the 300's. My question now is about the upcoming processes. I am currently 22 years old now, but back when I was 18 I was arrested for petit larceny at my previous employer. Basically what happened was when a customer came to me with a pricing problem I would take their word for it on the lower price and override the original price. I then did the same for my friends. Never gave the merchandise away but basically changed the price to something lower. I know now that my actions were stupid and irresponsible but at the time I did not realize the seriousness of what I was doing and had no idea that being arrested was a punishment. Once court time came around I had a lawyer and basically was granted an ACD and community service which I completed. In the end I was never convicted and the judge had the records sealed. Since then I have stayed out of trouble and pursued a job in loss prevention which I have been working now for 3 years. I accept and take responsibility for my previous actions and in no way argue about it. I was just wondering now how much will this hinder me? That dumb mistake was my only thing that could hurt me. Never did drugs, never got into trouble. Any advice on this situation would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Be honest and open about your actions like you are.. if asked and you will be fine. No one is perfect.
    CBPO
    Exam: Retook exam: 11/2010
    TO: 2/2011
    Medical: 3/22/2011
    PT Test: 3/22/2011
    VBT: 3/2011
    Background: 3/2011
    Drug Test: 4/2011
    Referred to TSU: 5/2011
    PT Test 2: TBD
    FLETC: Good Question lol
    CBP Officer:

USMS- Region 8
    Info Session 9/2009
    Interview 3/2010
    COE 5/2010
    Medical 5/2010
    Fit/Background 7/2010
    All clear as of 11/2010
    FCIP Over, all applicants scrapped. (GAME OVER) 3/2011 :'(

Comment

IMO, 22 yrs old (young) is entirely too young to be a police officer....anywhere. but good luck and pursue your dreams.

As far as your record, it all depends on who does your background investigation and how your competition sqaures up.

Comment

You should post your question on Ask a Cop so you will have only LEO answering your questions.

I am going to be honest with you though-
        I then did the same for my friends. Never gave the merchandise away but basically changed the price to something lowe
        This is the same as giving it away and it's stealing. You need a good 5+ years if not more away from this bad decision. I would join the army, go to college etc and maybe a department will look at you. There are 100's of applicants applying that have never been arrested, prior military, etc. You will not get picked up, and processed in this exam. I'm sorry but it is what it is.

Integrity is the number one trait of an Officer, remember that. Good Luck
        MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

I agree that you should post this in the "Ask a Cop" forum to ensure that real cops are answering your question. I also agree with the above post that it may not have been enough time between your arrest and the current time period. However, that all depends on the agency. I know of some smaller, less desirable agencies that would probably take you. You may have to start with one of these agencies and then apply to the one you really want after a few years. Then again, maybe the agency where you've applied will take you. You never know. Also, I don't think 22 is necessarily too young. 18 definitely is, but I started at 23 right out of college as a local and I think I was plenty mature by that point in time. That depends on the individual, IMO.

+1 on the integrity comment. There is NO room in law enforcement for someone who won't tell the truth, even when it's extremely difficult to do so. Make sure you tell the truth and let the chips fall where they may. Good luck to you.

Comment

Originally posted by BreakPoint View Post
            IMO, 22 yrs old (young) is entirely too young to be a police officer....anywhere. but good luck and pursue your dreams.

As far as your record, it all depends on who does your background investigation and how your competition sqaures up.
            I'm well over 22, but come on now. 18 you can fight for your country, but you think you need to be significantly older to be a beat cop? At 22, with a college degree, not only can you fight a war, but you can lead troops into one.

Comment

Originally posted by FedLaw View Post
              I'm well over 22, but come on now. 18 you can fight for your country, but you think you need to be significantly older to be a beat cop? At 22, with a college degree, not only can you fight a war, but you can lead troops into one.
              Well Said

Comment

Originally posted by FedLaw View Post
                I'm well over 22, but come on now. 18 you can fight for your country, but you think you need to be significantly older to be a beat cop?
                It is a question of maturity. Some 18-22 year olds have it, but most do not.

Comment

Deparments will not hire a candidate unless they are 21 years old... I don't know of any that hire under 21. My two cents, I went to the academy at 21 and hired on at a department at 22. I had no problems adjusting to patrol duties.. just saying

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3153 users online. 170 members and 2983 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X