Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TSO Question About Employment... Any TSO's out there plz Read!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JeffMerr View Post
    Thanks for the response 180. Granted I didn't take it because of the big financial risk, but that has me wondering if maybe the risk was worth the reward in that case. My main concern is that I have been graduated from college for 2 years now and have been job hunting almost every day and after tons of testing still have not found a career job, seems like things are only getting worse this past year. Hopefully SMF or Oakland Intl call me soon.

Daking I have a couple questions for you if you don't mind.
    1. How long have you been employed part-time?
    2. How many hours a week do you average? Can you pick up additional hours often or are you stuck on a strict schedule?
    3. Mind if I ask what you started at pay wise?

thanks!
    1. I have been employed part time for 35 months (almost 3 years).
    2. On average I work 30 hours per week. I could work up to 36-40 (plus OT) if i want.
    3. I started at $14.79.

Comment

Originally posted by MDPD4LYFE View Post
      Any TSO know if someone works nights is there night-differential pay, and if so how much is it? Also, what are the promotional positions that TSO's are offered besides TSO supervisor and things of that nature. In other words, what are the positions offered internally to TSO's that make much more money that being a TSO supervisor or even a TSO manager?? If there is such positions available...
      TSOs get paid for night diff. and sunday diff. not sure how much though.
      promotions go in this order as far as I know.
      1 TSO
      2 LTSO
      3 STSO
      4 screening manager
      5 Assistant FSD
      6 FSD

Also have TSA positions such as BAO, BDO, SBDO

Comment

10% night and 25% on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by 180Degrees View Post
          It's a very strange time for hiring with TSA. With the terrible economy these jobs are highly sought after. It's somewhat of a trickle down effect in that all across the board hiring standards are increasing. Because hiring standards are increasing, more qualified applicants are applying to fed jobs like CBPO, FAMS, ICE, USSS, FBI, etc, and fewer TSA employees are moving on to these other agencies. Also, since jobs aren't exactly plentiful in the private sector, fewer people (Even the ones that hate the job) are leaving TSA with so much economic uncertainty. At the same time, we've had a budget issue to contend with, and a surge of applicants to go along with the tanking economy. I mean, there aren't many $30k+ federal jobs out there that provide promotion opportunities, excellent benefits, pension, and limited forms of tuition assistance that to my knowledge don't even require a High School diploma. I know that at my airport things are almost cut-throat with part-timers praying that full-timers will leave, get fired, get promoted, etc just so they can move on to full-time. Right now it is approximately a 1 year wait to make the conversion and many part-timers work 2 or 3 jobs during that time.

I certainly don't think you should compromise yourself economically speaking just to take a job. Accumulating debt while waiting for full-time (possibly 1-2 years) certainly would be taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back. There used to be a time when full-time vacancies were plentiful, or, if you started part-time you could just say the word and you were converted practically on the spot. Times have unfortunately changed though.
          This surge of applications for part-time TSO positions really reflects how bad the job market is right now. People will wait around a year for a part-time position that can barely make ends meet. As a former TSO, I too can remember a few years ago when TSO attrition was at around 20 percent, and full-timers were leaving just as fast as part-timers. So full-time position would become available at the drop of a hat. If this economy ever turns around again, TSA will never be able to keep on only hiring part-time TSO's

Comment

Also does one do the same job everyday, for example, screening passengers at the checkpoint or is it like one day your screening passengers and the next day your checking passports etc.

Comment

Any TSO know definitevily if there is no negotiating with the pay salary when you get your job offer because I currently have my BS, and was wondering if i have some leverage on raising my pay rate just a bit

Comment

Any TSO know definitevily if there is no negotiating with the pay salary when you get your job offer because I currently have my BS, and was wondering if i have some leverage on raising my pay rate just a bit
                Not a chance. Many of us at my location have a Bachelor's Degree. We just hired a part-timer a few months ago with a master's degree, same starting pay as everyone else. I think the only circumstance would be if you were transferring from another agency within DHS but even then I'm not sure. When I first started working the HR coordinator told me a funny story of a guy interviewing for a full time position with an advanced degree. When offered the job he said he would accept it under the condition of starting at an SV band equivalent of GS-12. I think our HR coordinator still laughs at that one when having a bad day.

Comment

TSA needs to re-evaluate all current and future applicants, raise the pay/GS scale and at least require Leads/Sups to carry firearms.

Comment

Originally posted by Daking0fqueens View Post
                    TSA needs to re-evaluate all current and future applicants, raise the pay/GS scale and at least require Leads/Sups to carry firearms.
                    Agree TSA needs to re-evaluate all current and future applicants. Although I know the news does tend to make a big deal about little stuff, all the bad press screeners have been getting might indicate there is an issue with the quality of folks being hired.

Raising the pay/GS scale isn't going to happen. I don't see that being taken seriously considering our economic state, and the fact that the complexity/danger of a screener's job is in line with other jobs offering about the same amount of pay.

Why do Leads/Supervisors need guns? Like the screeners they're not law enforcement, and if anything happens that does require a gun, there's plenty of real police around to deal with it. I don't see you getting ANY support from DHS, Congress, President, or the American people with that one.

Comment

How long are the background checks for TSO? Is it a confidential or secret clearence to start? I served in the military(LE) for 9 years so I have moved around quite a bit. Everything else is (green checkmark) e86 is out just waiting now. I currently hold an active Secret but it dosen't matter, I know TSA will do their own checks. Unlike a lot of people out there I am not interested in Federal law enforcement anymore. I have been away from home too much. This career has all the benefits of any other 3 letter agency and good career progression. Carrying a gun is not as exciting as people think plus airport has AC, haha.

Comment

Depends on the person's background and how busy their 3rd party background company is. Mine took about 8 months just for the background portion, I almost forgot I was even in the process with them by the time my status changed.

Comment

I hope the BG process is faster than 8 months. The rest of the process was fast. I applied one month ago and I am complete just waiting on this.
                          Changing subject, what kind of shifts are available. I read an earlier post that 4am to 9am is a common shift and that works for me but eventually I might want to change it.

Comment

Originally posted by MSST04 View Post
                            I hope the BG process is faster than 8 months. The rest of the process was fast. I applied one month ago and I am complete just waiting on this.
                            Changing subject, what kind of shifts are available. I read an earlier post that 4am to 9am is a common shift and that works for me but eventually I might want to change it.

I just passed the background investigation, and im in the ready pool hopefully they extend me an offer quickly! As far as shifts go they tell you once you accept the offer, but im prepared to do 0400-0900.

Comment

I just passed the background investigation, and im in the ready pool hopefully they extend me an offer quickly! As far as shifts go they tell you once you accept the offer, but im prepared to do 0400-0900.
                              when did you take the test??
                              ICE 1811

Test: July 09
                              NOR: August 09
                              SI/WA: 12/3/10
                              NOR: 12/29/10
                              TO: 01/03/11
                              Medical: 01/24/11
                              Drug Test: 01/26/11
                              Background: 02/10/11
                              T&S: 03/30/11

Comment

I took the test on 03/02/2011, the whole process for me has taken roughly 4 months from time of app. to entry into the ready pool, which was 05/20/2011. Just waiting now for that phone call from MIA.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9481 users online. 427 members and 9054 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X