Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TSO Question About Employment... Any TSO's out there plz Read!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TSO Question About Employment... Any TSO's out there plz Read!

I just finished the Airport Assessment for Miami International Airport, and had some questions regarding the TSO position...

1st, is the pay negotiable when you go to your job offer?? Or is everyone hired at the same rate plus locality pay.
    2nd, im currently a student at a university and wanted to know if TSA will work with me as far as availability for my school schedule thats twice a week from 6pm to 9pm.
    3rd, is the job really as bad as some TSO's make it seem, and is there ample room for job growth?

Thank you to all TSO's out there that want to chime in on their experience

Originally posted by MDPD4LYFE View Post
    I just finished the Airport Assessment for Miami International Airport, and had some questions regarding the TSO position...

1st, is the pay negotiable when you go to your job offer?? Or is everyone hired at the same rate plus locality pay.
    2nd, im currently a student at a university and wanted to know if TSA will work with me as far as availability for my school schedule thats twice a week from 6pm to 9pm.
    3rd, is the job really as bad as some TSO's make it seem, and is there ample room for job growth?

They generally don't negotiate on salary, the schedule may be flexible just because it's a big airport but ultimately you will have to agree to be willing to work any schedule they offer you when you finish all your paperwork. And like any job, it's what you make of it. There are plenty of opportunities out there for the ambitious. You may have to put some time in as a TSO before they become available and then work your way up the food chain, but they're there if you want them (especially at a Cat X airport like MIA with lots of turnover and positions opening all the time).

Comment

Originally posted by MDPD4LYFE View Post

1. Salary is non-negotiable. Everyone is hired at the same rate, D Band on the SV pay scale. After two years you will be bumped up to E Band.

2. I believe they will work with your school schedule. I'm assuming you're going in as a part-timer since I don't think I've seen a full-time announcement anywhere in the country for quite some time. With part time hours it's pretty easy for them to accommodate a school schedule but don't be surprised if they assign you to the morning shift 0400-0900 since that may be the easiest option and it's a possibility for anyone, student or not.

3. The job is not nearly as bad as some make it out to be. There are a lot of opportunities for advancement if you have a good head on your shoulders. Many TSOs are quick to complain that they don't get promoted yet they fail to look in the mirror and take responsibility for their own actions and faults. I guess it's just easier to blame others or the system rather than be honest and improve upon your own deficiencies. You will have three types of employees working along side you.
      a. Those who complain about everything and are not really "happy" unless they are complaining about something. These individuals could honestly be paid $100 an hour to watch movies all day and I guarantee they will still find something to complain about. They typically have the emotional maturity of a 3 year old and never learn to keep their mouth shut or how to stay out of trouble.

b. Those who are content with their job or are close to retirement and come in everyday to do their job the best they can, who don't rock the boat, and just want a paycheck every two weeks. They typically have no ambition to move up in the ranks and are generally happy with their work.

c. Those who are using TSA as a stepping stone. I've worked with all types of individuals who fit into this category. Typically hard workers, sensible with good judgement. Many have degrees and/or advanced degrees and have aspirations to move onto other agencies/positions, ie: Customs, Border Patrol, ICE, FAMs, USSS, FBI. I've seen TSO's leave for each one of those agencies and they certainly did owe a lot to their time with TSA. These individuals are pretty ambitious and tend to move up in the ranks quicky. They volunteer for anything and everything, stay out of trouble, learn their job the best they can, and do whatever it takes to succeed. Because many individuals that work for TSA either fall into category a or b, it is easy to excel if you are in group c.

This is a great job, especially if you are a student. Take it seriously, develop your own opinion of the job regardless of what others (including myself) say, and strive to do the best that you can. Also, do whatever you can to stay favorable with management. I'm not saying you need to brown nose and kiss *** because nobody really likes that type of person, but just stay out of trouble and you will do well for yourself.

Good luck.

Comment

180 Degrees, thank you for your post it was extremely helpful...

One more question when you receive your schedule do they assign you a fixed schedule for a given period of time for example, the 5 days of work you get will be 0400-0900 or is it like monday 0400-0900, then tuesday a different shift, and saturday another different shift, etc, etc ???

Comment

It's a fixed shift 99.9% of the time.

Comment

Expect to work 0400-0900 hrs 5 days a week for about a year or two.

Comment

how long does it take to be called from an airport assessment, i applied as part time in newark airport in jersey i passed the computer test and the credit check, just wondering the announcement closes on the 28th
              officially sworn into the Us Marine Corps, going in with an 03 contract leave for bootcamp on January 9th

Comment

LAX called and offered me a position a month ago but I declined because I would have to move there from Northern California and they could only guarantee me part time at like $15 an hour. I feel like theres a ton of turnover at that airport and if there was some way I could get full time I could work my way up there. I just don't see how they expect people to afford to live in a city like LA and get 15$ an hour at 28 hours a week. I have my app in at SMF (Sacramento) thinking they would call shortly after but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm kind of thinking maybe I screwed up by declining it.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMerr View Post
                  LAX called and offered me a position a month ago but I declined because I would have to move there from Northern California and they could only guarantee me part time at like $15 an hour. I feel like theres a ton of turnover at that airport and if there was some way I could get full time I could work my way up there. I just don't see how they expect people to afford to live in a city like LA and get 15$ an hour at 28 hours a week. I have my app in at SMF (Sacramento) thinking they would call shortly after but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm kind of thinking maybe I screwed up by declining it.

It's a very strange time for hiring with TSA. With the terrible economy these jobs are highly sought after. It's somewhat of a trickle down effect in that all across the board hiring standards are increasing. Because hiring standards are increasing, more qualified applicants are applying to fed jobs like CBPO, FAMS, ICE, USSS, FBI, etc, and fewer TSA employees are moving on to these other agencies. Also, since jobs aren't exactly plentiful in the private sector, fewer people (Even the ones that hate the job) are leaving TSA with so much economic uncertainty. At the same time, we've had a budget issue to contend with, and a surge of applicants to go along with the tanking economy. I mean, there aren't many $30k+ federal jobs out there that provide promotion opportunities, excellent benefits, pension, and limited forms of tuition assistance that to my knowledge don't even require a High School diploma. I know that at my airport things are almost cut-throat with part-timers praying that full-timers will leave, get fired, get promoted, etc just so they can move on to full-time. Right now it is approximately a 1 year wait to make the conversion and many part-timers work 2 or 3 jobs during that time.

I certainly don't think you should compromise yourself economically speaking just to take a job. Accumulating debt while waiting for full-time (possibly 1-2 years) certainly would be taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back. There used to be a time when full-time vacancies were plentiful, or, if you started part-time you could just say the word and you were converted practically on the spot. Times have unfortunately changed though.

Comment

Sorry kinda off topic.

180 degrees whats your geo for CBPO? And did you receive a TO yet?

And TS, any more TSA questions? I'm a TSO also (part time).

Comment

Thanks for the response 180. Granted I didn't take it because of the big financial risk, but that has me wondering if maybe the risk was worth the reward in that case. My main concern is that I have been graduated from college for 2 years now and have been job hunting almost every day and after tons of testing still have not found a career job, seems like things are only getting worse this past year. Hopefully SMF or Oakland Intl call me soon.

Daking I have a couple questions for you if you don't mind.
                      1. How long have you been employed part-time?
                      2. How many hours a week do you average? Can you pick up additional hours often or are you stuck on a strict schedule?
                      3. Mind if I ask what you started at pay wise?

thanks!
                      Last edited by JeffMerr; 04-22-2011, 01:32 AM.

Comment

From personal experience when I was a TSO, I was able to submit my class schedule to the afsd and my schedule was changed.

I had a cool night shift position 6pm to 12pm part time all night hours Thursday and Friday off though, I couldn't really go out, but for a part timer I was bringing in 1000+ every two weeks, and really did nothing but olc.

This was a while ago though, not sure if you can use school as a hardship anymore.
                        Let's be civil

Comment

Originally posted by Jumpman247 View Post
                          From personal experience when I was a TSO, I was able to submit my class schedule to the afsd and my schedule was changed.

I had a cool night shift position 6pm to 12pm part time all night hours Thursday and Friday off though, I couldn't really go out, but for a part timer I was bringing in 1000+ every two weeks, and really did nothing but olc.

This was a while ago though, not sure if you can use school as a hardship anymore.
                          Yes, you still can. That is one of the good things if you're part time, they will work around your school schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by Daking0fqueens View Post
                            180 degrees whats your geo for CBPO? And did you receive a TO yet?

And TS, any more TSA questions? I'm a TSO also (part time).

Geo preference is in the Northeast and no TO yet. I was advised by friends close to CBP not to go to the SWB since it would be nearly impossible to get back to my home state. With my score, I would rather just wait it out for the potentially very limited future positions.

As for the part timer questions, I believe you're given a choice of 25 hours/week or 20 hours/week, so working either 4 or 5 days a week. There are shifts that are 32 hours/week (4 eight hour days) but from what I understand they are near impossible to get. There used to be a time when overtime/extra hours were offered just about every single week but it has been quite some time since any overtime has been offered. Starting pay varies, it depends on locality pay for your geo location, expect to start somewhere around 15/hr give or take a couple of dollars.
                            Last edited by 180Degrees; 04-23-2011, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Any TSO know if someone works nights is there night-differential pay, and if so how much is it? Also, what are the promotional positions that TSO's are offered besides TSO supervisor and things of that nature. In other words, what are the positions offered internally to TSO's that make much more money that being a TSO supervisor or even a TSO manager?? If there is such positions available...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5371 users online. 259 members and 5112 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X