300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Marshal clearance

Hello everyone. I'm currently a federal contractor with a TS clearance and I'm thinking about applying for an Air Marshal job when hiring opens up again. My questions are the following:

1. Will my current Top Secret streamline the process or give me a "leg up"?

2. Several years ago I applied for a Border Patrol job and pulled out of the process before I got a training date and took a job with a local agency job for better pay. Will they re-use the investigation DHS did for the Border Patrol or do I have to wait the xxx months for an investigator to get around to it then another xxx months for the adjudicators to look at the results?

I think everyone knows that the US gov't rarely does anything in a hurry, so right now I'm trying to make a "strategic career goal". It would be great if anyone knows how all that works.

Thanks and take care.

Originally posted by fiocchiman View Post
    Hello everyone. I'm currently a federal contractor with a TS clearance and I'm thinking about applying for an Air Marshal job when hiring opens up again. My questions are the following:

2. Several years ago I applied for a Border Patrol job and pulled out of the process before I got a training date and took a job with a local agency job for better pay. Will they re-use the investigation DHS did for the Border Patrol or do I have to wait the xxx months for an investigator to get around to it then another xxx months for the adjudicators to look at the results?

I think everyone knows that the US gov't rarely does anything in a hurry, so right now I'm trying to make a "strategic career goal". It would be great if anyone knows how all that works.

Thanks and take care.
    You would think all of that would help. In my experience, it doesn't. From what I've seen, each agency will re-do your clearance when you apply. Also, from what I've heard, actually getting your clearance done doesn't take as much time as most people think. The part that actually takes time is for the investigator to get to your paperwork and do his/her part.

Maybe some agencies are different than others and someone else has better input, but that's been my experience.

Comment

Thanks and take care.
      You will more than likely be starting from scratch with your clearance. Anything that would make sense within the gov't is generally the opposite of how things actually work. TSA sort of has their own clearance, and from my experience applying for other jobs, it doesn't carry over to other agencies or even the military, so I would imaging that it's the same for trying to get an external clearance to transfer over to TSA.

So ya, you will almost definitely go through the same exact hiring process as Joe Schmoe from off the street regarding both your questions.

Comment

Nope......

2. Will they re-use the investigation DHS did for the Border Patrol?
        Nope....they will start over.....

Comment

I believe Air Marshals require TS-SCI clearances (a level above just TS), ergo, you're TS wouldn't suffice. If it's an active TS (vice a former one) AND your SSBI is recent you can be read into SCI as required, but if you're changing jobs entirely it's entirely possible they will do another SSBI investigation (especially if it's been a while since you've had one).

You have to understand that federal LE jobs typically do two (2) separate investigations: a suitability investigation (to see if you meet the background requirements to be in a sworn LEO position) and a security clearance investigation (to provide the appropriate security clearance access), which is often done after an employee is hired or in training. You probably only had the suitability investigation since you were never hired, and that investigation is only valid of USBP (as it's based on THEIR standards, not all other federal LE agencies). Since standards vary, each agency does their own suitability investigation.
          sigpic

Comment

The funny thing about security clearances is it's done by OPM and DSS does the investigations. One organization does every bodies clearance. A person would think this would help streamline the process but, it doesn't since each agency adds details that they want investigated. This is what former President Bush was trying to get rid of; this also keeps agencies from sharing information, another point brought up from 9/11. A TS really doesn't mean anything except that you are trusted with the info which you must first be "read on," that's what determines if you get SCI or not also if you are cleared for SCI then eventually, not necessarily right away, you will have to do a poly either a lifestyle, CI, or both. My issue is if we really want to save money is if you have an active clearance it doesn't need to be redone, as originally stated by former President Bush, also noted in the OIG AAR. That will save a lot of money.

DSS looks at all apps and if they see someone with an active clearance say... from Jan 2010 they would only look up the difference, ie feb 2010 to present. They don't want to make another investigator to look bad if they find someone with skeletons already with a current clearance. Ok I feel better now that I let my views on clearances out. Refreshing...
            Last edited by Tier1; 04-13-2011, 10:27 PM. Reason: Correctios

Comment

Originally posted by Tier1 View Post
              DSS does the investigations.
              Who does what....?

You haven't a clue how things are working now days. DSS= Defense Security Services DOES NOT do individual clearances any more..... DSS Agents doing that were transfered to OPM back in 2004........

Comment

Guess that shows how long I've had an SCI.... And yes you are right when I had to renew my clearance it was OPM. Thanks for keeping me straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Tier1 View Post
                  Guess that shows how long I've had an SCI.... And yes you are right when I had to renew my clearance it was OPM. Thanks for keeping me straight.
                  Just putting that out there.....as DSS has been out of the biz since 2004ish. All there Special Agents were sent over to OPM if they wanted to stay doing backgrounds or they stayed there and started doing the industrial security and a few other things that DSS does.......

OPM and their contracted staff is the ones who does it all now....

Comment

Sure would like to know what takes some people so long to clear Interm. I thought it was a basic NAC/LAC with an LOI if needed.

Comment

fiocchiman, I see that was your first post. Be sure to check out the FAMS Hiring Process thread here:

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...Hiring-Process

There is great info there, including a lot of back and forth regarding the questions you asked. Good luck!

Comment

Has anyone heard when the new job postings are coming out for FAM?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5882 users online. 345 members and 5537 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X