300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Independence NPS Ranger Job Questions

I've got some questions about the reoccurring National Park Service job for full time permanent law enforcement Rangers at (INDE) Independence National Historical Park. Specifically I was wondering what the day to day job is like? 24/7 coverage? What kind of schedule do they work? Is it mostly foot patrol? Do they patrol in vehicles? Pros and Cons? Does the park have concurrent jurisdiction? I appreciate your responses.

Vacancy Announcement Link

Originally posted by FaLLoutRanger View Post
    I've got some questions about the reoccurring National Park Service job for full time permanent law enforcement Rangers at (INDE) Independence National Historical Park. Specifically I was wondering what the day to day job is like? 24/7 coverage? What kind of schedule do they work? Is it mostly foot patrol? Do they patrol in vehicles? Pros and Cons? Does the park have concurrent jurisdiction? I appreciate your responses.

Vacancy Announcement Link

1. Are you NPS seasonal certified? If not, you wont be hired.
    2.Day to day revolves around walking around between the different attractions.
    3. Schedule--Not sure will have to ask
    4. yes mainly foot patrol. They have 1 or 2 vehciles but Ive never seen then being driven
    5. Park is concurrent jurisdiction with Philly PD however they cant preform traffic stops as the streets belong to Philly.
    I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
      1. Are you NPS seasonal certified? If not, you wont be hired.
      2.Day to day revolves around walking around between the different attractions.
      3. Schedule--Not sure will have to ask
      4. yes mainly foot patrol. They have 1 or 2 vehciles but Ive never seen then being driven
      5. Park is concurrent jurisdiction with Philly PD however they cant preform traffic stops as the streets belong to Philly.
      Thanks Orlandofed. I've got the required training for the job and made a cert list. I'm trying to get a better idea of the kind of stuff the Rangers deal with since they're located in downtown Philly.

Comment

To follow on the last post, much of the job is physical security and walking/standing a beat. They work round the clock; not sure what the weekly schedule is, but I would imagine a 5/4/9, maybe even 4 10's. Night shifts likely offer more in terms of dealing with the local riffraff, along with the occasional drunk tourist. Day shifts would center more on magnetometers, dignitary issues, ect. While it is known as a revolving door, a lot of good rangers have done their time in Philly.

Housing can be an issue; and city life could be either good or bad depending. Overall, the pros are it's a permanent job/fletc/experience, ect. The con's would be a very urban experience, maybe morale issues, city issues, ect. My best suggestion would be to go direct with a supervisor and get the real answers. It always shocks me how many applicants fail to contact a park, seek out the hiring official, and introduce themselves prior to applying. A few quick calls will get you right to the source and might even make the difference in the end.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks Canyon Ranger for the great info. If offered the job, I'll take it in a heartbeat. I left city law enforcement for the specific purpose of eventually working for NPS as a LE Ranger and this seems like a great opportunity to get through the NPS "steel door." I know working in an urban park isn't the ideal park for everyone but I'll keep a positive attitude and try to enjoy my time in Philly.

Seems like I've heard that Rangers are expected to stay at a park for at least 1 year before transferring. Is this true?
          Last edited by FaLLoutRanger; 04-13-2011, 11:27 PM. Reason: spelling/content

Comment

Philly used to make new rangers sign something that would "require" them to stay for 2 or 3 years. Word was that some folks fought it and/or it was just for show. Not sure if that still goes on. Bottom line, you are looking at a good 1.5 years between your hire date and fletc. That's just based on the current backlog and could even be longer with budget constraints, ect. Most parks do not like to see rangers go off to fletc/field training and then not return to their home park. However, certain parks are and will always be revolving doors and have to accept that rangers will try and move on asap after fletc. You have to do what's best for you and your family. And as applicants quickly see, there are lots of folks who will stand in line to take your job when it comes time to leave Philly.

One other issue facing rangers at urban parks is that getting hired at another park can be difficult if you have no other rangering experience. Not to say that good skills cannot be learned/mastered at urban parks, but it is a rare thing that someone with no seasonal time at a traditional park would be able to easily leave Philly for a crown jewel or big time all-risk ranger job out west. So while folks may want to move out of urban parks, it might take a while.

Comment

If you dont mind me asking when did you apply...I applied back in December and have been rated but never heard a thing since then.
              WWW.FIRSTRESPONDERS911.NET

Comment

Originally posted by NYRESCUE View Post
                If you dont mind me asking when did you apply...I applied back in December and have been rated but never heard a thing since then.
                I applied on 2/15/2011. I received a form in the mail about a month ago from Independence inquiring if I was still interested in employment. I know they have several vacancy's right now.

Comment

I kinda (I almost ran him over @ 5th and Chestnut) ran into my buddy they have a few slots and will be replacing some of the wackenhut guards with NPS security guards and rangers.

Comment

What is an "NPS Security Guard"? Ranking an NPS law enforcement Ranger in the same phrase with "security guard" is a bit of a putdown...

Jonny

Comment

Originally posted by Ultrask8 View Post
                      What is an "NPS Security Guard"? Ranking an NPS law enforcement Ranger in the same phrase with "security guard" is a bit of a putdown...

Jonny
                      0085 series security guards. Have no LE powers and generally do static posts. Security guard jobs are restricted to vets.

Comment

I finally got the call from INDE today and have a phone interview scheduled! I'm pretty pumped about the opportunity. Can anyone give me any advice for an NPS phone interview. I've never had a phone interview before. I'm not looking for the questions that will be asked, just some general advice on what to study up on and /or be prepared for.

I've been studying up on the Park Service for a few years now and about INDE for a while now. I believe because of my research, info in forums and with speaking with NPS Rangers about INDE, that I'm fully prepared for what type of work in involved there and knowing that going in.... I should be able to keep a positive attitude. Through out my research on working for NPS as a LE Ranger, I've found some that love the job and some that don't/didn't. I hope I'm the former. Anyway, I'm excited about the possibility of working for NPS. Any advice you seasoned NR folks can provide about phone interviews will be greatly appreciated.

Stay Safe and thanks for all the comments so far.

Comment

Fallout,
                          Have you heard how many positions they are looking to fill?

Comment

Originally posted by wildlife97 View Post
                            Fallout,
                            Have you heard how many positions they are looking to fill?
                            Sorry Wildlife97... she didn't say. If I get anymore info, I'll pass it along.

Comment

They will ask you general questions about your background and experience. They will ask some situational questions. be truthful

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5141 users online. 273 members and 4868 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X