X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• izamsilas
    replied
    Originally posted by service4others View Post
    Did your buddy leave SPS and get an 1811 position? Also would it be like manning the gates of the complex directing cars onto the property? Or would you only cover working the gates when need be or do they have someone else doing that? Just curious.
    Mostly static security with some patrolling. There's more to it, but you'd have to talk to recruiters. No authority outside of those particular gov spaces (i.e. - security vs actual LE work)

Leave a comment:

• service4others
    replied
    Originally posted by denver_bound View Post
    I can only go off on what my buddy told me. He's an 1811 at my prior agency. He said SPS is good training but static positions with limited TDY opportunities. Most try to go into GRS (protective agent). Squared away folks with excellent equipment and training. Not your typical LE job per se. More protection orientated.
    Did your buddy leave SPS and get an 1811 position? Also would it be like manning the gates of the complex directing cars onto the property? Or would you only cover working the gates when need be or do they have someone else doing that? Just curious.

Leave a comment:

• denver_bound
    replied
    I can only go off on what my buddy told me. He's an 1811 at my prior agency. He said SPS is good training but static positions with limited TDY opportunities. Most try to go into GRS (protective agent). Squared away folks with excellent equipment and training. Not your typical LE job per se. More protection orientated.

Leave a comment:

• service4others
    replied
    Seems they have some openings for police officer. Anyone have any experience with them the SPS?? Good gig?

Leave a comment:

• MiGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by izamsilas View Post
    Woah...do NOT want...lol
    Haha whoops!

Allow me to correct myself.. NOT the same as a typical 1811 retirement.

Yeah, definitely don't want a 1911 retirement. That doesn't seem like that'd be a good ending.

Leave a comment:

• izamsilas
    replied
    Originally posted by MiGuy View Post
    But like I said, from my understanding this is NOT the same as a typical 1911 L.E. retirement.
    Woah...do NOT want...lol

Leave a comment:

• MiGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by OIG1811 View Post
    How is it different? My SF50 says FERS special and I've been in a covered LE position for 11 years? Is there another FERS Special?
    I guess there is a chance I am wrong but from my understanding it is different. I was under the assumption the percentage per year served is different and tehre are a few other things that have a slight difference as well. From my understanding, this would not stop the clock for those wanting to get into the L.E. retirement fed jobs. There is also no 37 or younger age requirement with it. In fact, I worked with a guy who was hired with me and in his late 40's/early 50's that retired from a state LEO gig.

I guess if there is anyone that understands the retirement systems better than I, then if they'd like to chime in... But like I said, from my understanding this is NOT the same as a typical 1911 L.E. retirement.

Leave a comment:

• OIG1811
    replied
    Originally posted by MiGuy View Post
    ... they are under FERS Special. It is not the same as most 1811's and what you think of with the LE coverage where you have to be 37 or younger.
    How is it different? My SF50 says FERS special and I've been in a covered LE position for 11 years? Is there another FERS Special?

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat357
    replied
    Originally posted by Msuz View Post
    Your post
    You do realize that the CIA IS NOT a LEO Agency...... They do have LEOs working there in some spots.....but as a whole....they are an Intel Agency.......

You could have 20 years as a LEO an not get hired by them. Read the core requirements for each position you are interested in, if you think you are qualified, apply......

Leave a comment:

• Msuz
    replied
    I was thinking about applying SPS after I graduate from college, but for me personally, any job with the CIA would be a dream. On the website they say that you can apply to maximum of (4) positions. With only about a year of non-LE job experience, a policy-based internship, and a bachelors degree in CJ/Sociology, what does everyone think the best four entry level jobs would be? I was thinking for myself personally (besides SPS);

-Security Professional (minimum requirement bachelor's degree)

-Leadership Analyst (req. psychology, political psychology, sociology, or anthropology degree or related field) and/or

-One of the clandestine service trainee programs (for those with an interest in international affairs and WITHOUT extensive experience).

Of course, I am in the process of applying for other LE jobs since in all liklihood I will not get in to the agency this early in my career. I recognize that these positions are very competitive, but I want to apply every place that I can as early as I can. But what does everyone think, is it worthwhile to apply without extensive LE experience? If so, what four are best known as the "entry level" jobs?

Leave a comment:

• MiGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by OIG1811 View Post
    I went to a FLETC leadership course with a NSA SPS Lt. and he said they recently got LE coverage.
    If you are referring to the retirement, you stated you talked to a NSA Lieutenant, which is not the same as CIA. I, personally, was not aware that the NSA got the LE coverage and will have to ask my friend who just graduated FLETC and is now a NSA Officer. But as far as CIA, as my post earlier indicated, they are under FERS Special. It is not the same as most 1811's and what you think of with the LE coverage where you have to be 37 or younger.

Leave a comment:

• OIG1811
    replied
    I went to a FLETC leadership course with a NSA SPS Lt. and he said they recently got LE coverage.

Leave a comment:

• izamsilas
    replied
    Pretty cool gig if you like writing parking tickets for stealing carpool spots or speeding in the brown lot....
    Last edited by izamsilas; 04-11-2011, 06:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat357
    replied
    Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
    IMO, no. Border Patrol or something similar (active LE job) would be much better.
    You are correct Sir.....

A couple of my US Park Police buddies were out there doing training with them a few years ago. Said they had amazing equipment and set-up out there.

When they talked at break/lunch.... the USPP guys were in love with the equipement.... The CIA SPS guys were in love with USPP war stories since they said they were bored to death out there...

As stated, good way to get yourself into the Agency but probably not a good step if you are looking for LE experience.....and moving onto an 1811 spot....

Leave a comment:

• GoldBadge
    replied
    Originally posted by MR.NYC View Post
    it looks like it may be more security focus with fixed posts then police work though.
    That's correct.

Would anyone think this a good stepping stone to a 1811 position?
    IMO, no. Border Patrol or something similar (active LE job) would be much better.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4822 users online. 301 members and 4521 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X