300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State Dept - Investigative Assistant

I found an advertisement for Investigative Assistant with the State Department, Bureau of Diplomatic Security. I have every intention of applying, but I haven't found much regarding this job other than the description posted on the announcement/website.

Does anyone have any additional information? Any super secret squirrel moves you suggest to help with the application process?

Responses are always appreciated.
    Last edited by codered; 02-27-2011, 02:09 PM.

"Secret Squirrel" moves won't help out with an Investigative Asst position, these jobs are clerical (i.e. working at a desk running databases, making copies, typing reports, etc.), any more than those moves would help in being a secretary. If you've read the announcement and website and know the job description, not sure what else you're wanting to know.

Originally posted by codered View Post
    I found an advertisement for Investigative Assistant with the State Department, Bureau of Diplomatic Security. I have every intention of applying, but I haven't found much regarding this job other than the description posted on the announcement/website.

Does anyone have any additional information? Any super secret squirrel moves you suggest to help with the application process?

Responses are always appreciated.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kimble View Post
      "Secret Squirrel" moves won't help out with an Investigative Asst position, these jobs are clerical (i.e. working at a desk running databases, making copies, typing reports, etc.), any more than those moves would help in being a secretary. If you've read the announcement and website and know the job description, not sure what else you're wanting to know.
      I was soliciting for additional information from other individuals who have had experience working with this specific job or with DS. IMO, first hand knowledge is always the best.

Regarding the "secret squirrel" comment: I was asking for any suggestions during the hiring practice. It was a failed attempt at being humorous.

Thank you for your response.

Comment

I was soliciting for additional information from other individuals who have had experience working with this specific job or with DS. IMO, first hand knowledge is always the best.
        No need to be an [email protected] and preach about people having firsthand knowledge, I work with IA's on a daily basis, so I have an excellent idea of what they do (still have no idea what YOU want to know about their job outside what you've read in the job description).
        sigpic

Comment

I don't think he was trying to be a smarty-pants.

Like Kimble said, IA = not-so glorified secretary.

Comment

No need to be an [email protected] and preach about people having firsthand knowledge, I work with IA's on a daily basis, so I have an excellent idea of what they do (still have no idea what YOU want to know about their job outside what you've read in the job description).
            Does your job put such a stressful strain on you that you think everyone is giving you a hard time? Relax, sir.

Comment

The snobby responses on here frustrate me. As an agent, I'm grateful for the assistance and support of the IA's within my organization. I think some folks need to check their arrogance at the door.

Comment

I am not preaching. I am openly admitting that I don't know anything other than what was given to me regarding this position and was requesting information. I'm not quite sure how I came across as a smart @ss since I made it a point to thank you for your response and to explain myself in the off-beaten chance that I offended you with the squirrel comment. Clarification would be appreciated on my end so that I can prevent a similar circumstance from reoccurring.

To clarify: You said that IAs are nothing more than glorified secretary's; In what sense? Do they conduct a serious amount of paperwork regarding correspondence that they never leave an office? is their travel involved? what type of training does the position entail? does an IA gain experience working with other agencies? are their separate divisions to affiliate with to get 'a taste' of different aspects of the Bureau of Diplomatic Security? Is it possible to relocate or is it especially difficult? Do IAs hand their case files off to any DSS agent that walks through the door or are they assigned to a team of agents?

I can see where confusion could begin. In the future I will be mindful to post more direct questions.

Again, thank you for your response.
                Last edited by codered; 02-28-2011, 12:58 AM.

Comment

You said that IAs are nothing more than glorified secretary's; In what sense?

Just what he means..... They are Secretary's with a fancy name..... Non-LEO/No Weapon/No Creds......

Do they conduct a serious amount of paperwork regarding correspondence
                  Yes....

they never leave an office?
                  Nope.... They don't travel....as in a sense that a SA would. They may go to meetings or conferences....but that's it. They don't travel to help the "team" out....they work from their home office......

is their travel involved?
                  See above...

what type of training does the position entail?

None...unless you can score a MS Office 2010 Class....or maybe another admin class like that ..... That's it.... You won't be going to FLETC ......It will be all self taught by others in the office or what you know already.....

does an IA gain experience working with other agencies?
                  Nope....you work for your agency. You may meet with others....but not like SA's trading info..... It would be at a class or a conference bettering yourself.... Not as official duty stuff.....

are their separate divisions to affiliate with to get 'a taste' of different aspects of the Bureau of Diplomatic Security?
                  They work different areas throughout DSS/State (just like the ones we had at DOJ)....but you are assigned to your one area....and that's it.....

Is it possible to relocate or is it especially difficult?
                  You will be a status employee....just like every other US Gov/Status Employee. You apply for openings once you get your time in and go from there.....

Do IAs hand their case files off to any DSS agent that walks through the door or are they assigned to a team of agents?
                  Depends on the office. The ones we had at DOJ were assigned to our office..... They made copies, filed paperwork, requested office supplies, sent stuff in for us, etc.... Once again, glorified Secretary......

I've seen other agencies assign folks to certain areas (like criminal/civil/civil rights/etc.....) and thats all they work....they don't intermingle unless it's asking for stuff...then they go back to their cube.....

Once again, very basic job.....not going to get you much when it comes to experience other than your foot in the door as a GOV employee......especially at the grade they posted those jobs at.....
                  Last edited by Bearcat357; 02-28-2011, 02:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FedLaw View Post
                    The snobby responses on here frustrate me. As an agent, I'm grateful for the assistance and support of the IA's within my organization. I think some folks need to check their arrogance at the door.
                    A. You bitch....... but yet you add nothing to the converstation. You work for DSS so perhaps you could have shared some knowledge of what IA's do in your office......? But, of course, you opt not to..... Instead you go after another 1811 who was trying to help the kid out...........

B. If the OP had read the job posting......what questions could he have...? It's a freaking secretary job with a few more responsibilties (barely).... Its 1802 so it means its a LE Support job. Basic investigative skills would have figured that out by looking at State/DSS/OPM web site.....

C. If the OP wants to join DSS.....I personally don't think it would be a good move other than to get one's foot in the door....but once again, you work for DSS....so perhaps you could have expanded more and said something......but...you opted not to.....

The IA's we had at Justice were over worked, under paid secretaries..... They didn't do anything other than a crap ton paperwork for us and it didn't give them experiences to move on......

As stated, if the OP is looking to get into DSS (or any other 1811 job) I would be looking for something else.....but that's just me.....

Perhaps you could spread the wealth and tell us.....instead of trying to bust Kimbles ***.....?

Hmmmm........

Comment

I wasn't referring to Kimble bearcat. I was referring to the "not-so glorified secretary comment" and the attitude that went with it. Kimble didn't appear to downgrade the position.

Comment

Thanks for the insight.

The consensus then is that this position provides no usefulness towards an LE career other than a foot in the door as a Gov status employee? A few DSS agents msg'd me and told me the exact opposite, which is why I ask for the clarification even though Bearcat stated the aforementioned already. I would like to hear from other individuals who have worked with IAs.

For clarification, I would love an 1811 job but first I need to pay the bills.
                        Last edited by codered; 02-28-2011, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FedLaw View Post
                          I wasn't referring to Kimble bearcat. I was referring to the "not-so glorified secretary comment" and the attitude that went with it. Kimble didn't appear to downgrade the position.
                          My bad......

Comment

For clarification, I would love an 1811 job but first I need to pay the bills.
                            You would be better off having a degree in any field and then doing local LE work for few years...... That would give you more experience then playing secretary in a Field Office.....

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                              You would be better off having a degree in any field and then doing local LE work for few years...... That would give you more experience then playing secretary in a Field Office.....
                              Thank you. I am graduating this year from college and applying for various LE positions; this one looked especially inviting because I could put into my federal retirement. I'll be sure to heed the advice provided, and thank you everyone for the information.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8987 users online. 436 members and 8551 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X