300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here a TSO for TSA?

So after a year and a half my status finally changed on the candidate dashboard and I now have a blue star over Orientation Initiated, there is a green check mark over Ready Pool. I called TSA and she said that this means that I am waiting for the airport to tell TSA that they need TSO's. Does anyone know how long this can take or what I can expect next? At almost 2 years this process has taken forever. Thanks!

An impossible question to answer because it comes down to where you fall in the pool and how high the turnover rate is at the airport you applied at. At large airports with over 1000 TSOs, it will probably be pretty quick. Also know that pretty much all TSOs are hired on as part timers, and the powers that be like to keep a high ratio of part timers to full timers which results in many airports offering very little in the way of converting to full time positions.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Yea I realize it's a part time position, but being that all I carry is a degree and no experience I think it will be a good foot in the door; something I can use as a stepping stone to another branch or department.

Comment

Two years! Wow! I didn't think it would take that long to get a TSO position. That process is longer than some federal LE agencies.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMerr View Post
          Thanks for the info. Yea I realize it's a part time position, but being that all I carry is a degree and no experience I think it will be a good foot in the door; something I can use as a stepping stone to another branch or department.
          It's good to start your federal retirement clock, but it's not the best gig for using to get into other agencies. TSA is an excepted service agency, and unless it has agreements through OPM with specific other agencies, you can't claim competitive status when applying to other fed jobs. Most of the TSOs who have left the agency for another have ended up at customs. There's not very much movement into the better (IMO) agencies, or even into FAM, which is part of TSA. Not trying to discourage you, just giving you a realistic view of how things are.

Comment

Originally posted by EBDO View Post
            It's good to start your federal retirement clock, but it's not the best gig for using to get into other agencies. TSA is an excepted service agency, and unless it has agreements through OPM with specific other agencies, you can't claim competitive status when applying to other fed jobs. Most of the TSOs who have left the agency for another have ended up at customs. There's not very much movement into the better (IMO) agencies, or even into FAM, which is part of TSA. Not trying to discourage you, just giving you a realistic view of how things are.
            You "can" claim competitive status after one year of service, giving you the ability to apply for status jobs. Assuming you have the qualifications for the position, it shouldn't be that hard to move to another agency of the federal government after one year.
            CBP Officer
            Initial Application: 11/16/10
            Test Exam: 12/13/10
            Notice of Results: 1/25/11 (GS-07: 92)
            New Geography (SWB): 9/14/11
            Tentative Offer: 9/29/11
            Medical/PFT1: 10/25/11

Comment

Well it's been two years since I've graduated and the outlook on getting a local LE job such as police or sheriff gets more and more grim as time goes on being that I do not possess a POST cert. Right now I work in a part-time permanent position in the parking division for the city I live in. A monkey can do my job and there is absolutely no room for advancement or even full time. I figure at least this will give me some experience that relates to my field of study (criminal justice) and can open a door somewhere else, heck I'd kill to work in customs, or to just have a full time job w/benefits period.

Comment

Well it's been two years since I've graduated and the outlook on getting a local LE job such as police or sheriff gets more and more grim as time goes on being that I do not possess a POST cert. Right now I work in a part-time permanent position in the parking division for the city I live in. A monkey can do my job and there is absolutely no room for advancement or even full time. I figure at least this will give me some experience that relates to my field of study (criminal justice) and can open a door somewhere else, heck I'd kill to work in customs, or to just have a full time job w/benefits period.
                This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Apply for a Patrol Agent job with the USBP. It is worlds better than the TSA and it is real law enforcement work with triple the pay and LE retirement.

Comment

Keep the parking job, and work part-time as a TSO, that way you have two paychecks coming in. Apply with Border Patrol or Customs right now, and just wait it out, because its probably going to be two years to get hired from start to finish.

Comment

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/careers/

Says on the website that they are not currently accepting applications for CBP or BP Agents ?

Comment

Both announcements recently closed, may be a while before they open again.

Comment

Just my luck...

Comment

I just had my status updated too after 2 years. I will have my POST cert in 3 months. I can't even remember what the pay scale is. So I guess it's split as to moving to another agency from TSA or not. What grade scale is this? And any chance of making an 1811 with them?

Comment

TSA is covered under an Interchange Agreement that allows you to apply as a status candidate. However, you must have been FULL TIME for a year and be a permanent employee to be covered under the agreement.

I'd agree with the rest of the post above. Also, you won't be law enforcement. That's important to remember. No LEO powers. Not trying to discourage either, just making sure you're informed. Good luck to you!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8373 users online. 419 members and 7954 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X