300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lostcase View Post
    I am pleased to say that after three years of trying, I am finally starting a TSO position next month. I was put in the waiting pool numerous time and watched the announcement expire. I was beginning to lose hope. I saw an opening at my local airport and decided to try for it again. I didn't have to take the CBT but needed to interview again. Thank god I will be able keep my current full-time position and work around the TSO hours. I will not find out what my shift will be after I am done with training. I know the job will be tedious but at least I get to start my 20 year clock towards a pension. Ultimate plan, end up with a federal IT position in 2-3 years.
    I hate to be the one to burst your bubble but that would be a 30 year clock towards a pension if you are a new Federal employee. Unless you have military time you intend to buy back.

FB

Comment

Last edited by DeltaFox2; 01-08-2013, 12:20 PM.

Comment

I am pleased to say that after three years of trying, I am finally starting a TSO position next month. I was put in the waiting pool numerous time and watched the announcement expire. I was beginning to lose hope. I saw an opening at my local airport and decided to try for it again. I didn't have to take the CBT but needed to interview again. Thank god I will be able keep my current full-time position and work around the TSO hours. I will not find out what my shift will be after I am done with training. I know the job will be tedious but at least I get to start my 20 year clock towards a pension. Ultimate plan, end up with a federal IT position in 2-3 years.
        TSA TSO is not a Law Enforcement covered position. No 20 year LE retirement and your age clock won't stop for law enforcement covered positions.

Comment

I waited nearly 2 years from the time that I applied to the time that I got hired as a TSO. The hours were rough, it was part time work, but I did it for approximately a year and a half and am now employed with ICE as an assistant. Six months in here, and I have a tentative offer for Immigration Enforcement Agent. Let's hope this goes through soon.

My best advice to you is to start with TSA and suck it up for a while. I worked in a large airport, so there were always opportunites for overtime, which brought me pretty close to full time hours. I wouldn't suggest staying as a TSO for a career, but I'd say that it is definitely a good place to start. While working part time I was able to obtain my Master's Degree and hope that a combination of the both will help me to continue to climb. With TSA, a lot of your coworkers will get caught up with the complaining and B/S, but my advice to you is to keep your nose clean and apply for any promotions, both in house and with other agencies, from day one.

Comment

Originally posted by SHU View Post
            Apply for a Patrol Agent job with the USBP. It is worlds better than the TSA and it is real law enforcement work with triple the pay and LE retirement.
            Best stepping stone job in federal law enforcement. I know of many former BPA's that became 1811s.
            They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

Originally posted by koz View Post
              I waited nearly 2 years from the time that I applied to the time that I got hired as a TSO. The hours were rough, it was part time work, but I did it for approximately a year and a half and am now employed with ICE as an assistant. Six months in here, and I have a tentative offer for Immigration Enforcement Agent. Let's hope this goes through soon.

My best advice to you is to start with TSA and suck it up for a while. I worked in a large airport, so there were always opportunites for overtime, which brought me pretty close to full time hours. I wouldn't suggest staying as a TSO for a career, but I'd say that it is definitely a good place to start. While working part time I was able to obtain my Master's Degree and hope that a combination of the both will help me to continue to climb. With TSA, a lot of your coworkers will get caught up with the complaining and B/S, but my advice to you is to keep your nose clean and apply for any promotions, both in house and with other agencies, from day one.
              Thanks for the positive words koz. To be honest, when I first started to participate in this forum, I was gunning for the FAMS position. Things didn't work out and then I shifted gears towards the TSO position. I currently work in IT and figured I could use the TSO to get my foot in the door with the Government. Ultimately, I would like to land an IT job with any agency. Buddy of mine just accepted a TSC position, which is part of the FBI, in VA. I am definitely going to use him as a reference when I put in a year as a TSO and want to post out.

Comment

Thanks for the positive words koz. To be honest, when I first started to participate in this forum, I was gunning for the FAMS position. Things didn't work out and then I shifted gears towards the TSO position. I currently work in IT and figured I could use the TSO to get my foot in the door with the Government. Ultimately, I would like to land an IT job with any agency. Buddy of mine just accepted a TSC position, which is part of the FBI, in VA. I am definitely going to use him as a reference when I put in a year as a TSO and want to post out.
                I hear you man. It seems like nowadays what used to be entry level jobs a few years ago are neraly impossible to get, even with previous goverment time. You (as I did) may have to start with a job that pays low and you are overqualified for, but just keep in your mind that it is a stepping stone.

Comment

Does anyone that works for TSA as a TSO (so basically every new hire) have a second job? I am a paramedic and in order to maintain my certifications and skills, I would prefer to keep working part-time. I am in the process for CBPO and in my interview for them, they stated that they could utilize me to some extent as EMS and I would be able to maintain my certification while working as a CBPO. I am in the long waiting pool for them and by reading what others have said here, if I get the TSO job in order to start the ball rolling on pension and to get in the system, I don't want to lose my medic certs due to not working in that field any longer. By poking around online, I've read of many different types of schedules, but from what I've seen, the typical new hire works 5 days a week with various 2 days off. At any point, does this schedule get more consistent? I don't care if I have to work weekends or holidays, I just want to know what days I'd have off to try to find a part-time job that would work with such an erratic schedule.
                  CBPO
                  Geo - West Coast
                  Exam - 10/12/11 San Diego
                  NOR - 4/2/12
                  TSL - 6/12/12
                  PFT1 - green
                  BI -
                  Quals -
                  VBT/SI - green
                  Drug Screen - green

Comment

Originally posted by nonsense View Post
                    Does anyone that works for TSA as a TSO (so basically every new hire) have a second job? I am a paramedic and in order to maintain my certifications and skills, I would prefer to keep working part-time. I am in the process for CBPO and in my interview for them, they stated that they could utilize me to some extent as EMS and I would be able to maintain my certification while working as a CBPO. I am in the long waiting pool for them and by reading what others have said here, if I get the TSO job in order to start the ball rolling on pension and to get in the system, I don't want to lose my medic certs due to not working in that field any longer. By poking around online, I've read of many different types of schedules, but from what I've seen, the typical new hire works 5 days a week with various 2 days off. At any point, does this schedule get more consistent? I don't care if I have to work weekends or holidays, I just want to know what days I'd have off to try to find a part-time job that would work with such an erratic schedule.
                    You won't know your days off until you are hired. Same with your shift. If you are part time, it will depend on the airport as to what your schedule is. When you are hired, and get your days off and shift, those days off and shift will stay consistent. For example, you won't have tues/wed off one week then fri/sat off the next. If your schedule is 5am-10am with tues/wed off, that will stay your schedule until the airport bids for new shifts, which depending on the airport can be anywhere from every 6 months to every 3 years. So you may be locked in for awhile

Comment

Originally posted by DaShwstoppahbk View Post
                      You won't know your days off until you are hired. Same with your shift. If you are part time, it will depend on the airport as to what your schedule is. When you are hired, and get your days off and shift, those days off and shift will stay consistent. For example, you won't have tues/wed off one week then fri/sat off the next. If your schedule is 5am-10am with tues/wed off, that will stay your schedule until the airport bids for new shifts, which depending on the airport can be anywhere from every 6 months to every 3 years. So you may be locked in for awhile
                      cool, thanks!
                      CBPO
                      Geo - West Coast
                      Exam - 10/12/11 San Diego
                      NOR - 4/2/12
                      TSL - 6/12/12
                      PFT1 - green
                      BI -
                      Quals -
                      VBT/SI - green
                      Drug Screen - green

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7887 users online. 393 members and 7494 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X