300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• United States Federal Reserve Police

I am interested in working for the United States Federal Reserve Police. I just retired from a sworn job at age 50, but I would like to work on another pension. Does anybody happen to know if the Fed hires retired cops or do they prefer younger people? I live within driving distance of the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.

Originally posted by Jim1648 View Post
    I am interested in working for the United States Federal Reserve Police. I just retired from a sworn job at age 50, but I would like to work on another pension. Does anybody happen to know if the Fed hires retired cops or do they prefer younger people? I live within driving distance of the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
    The fed (speaking specifically to the US Govt, as "the fed" is often a reference to the Federal Reserve as well) has age requirements for jobs covered under 6c/12d LE retirement, but Federal Reserve Police is not one of those jobs. They have a regular non-LE Federal Employees Retirement System pension (which I believe requires at least 25 years to retire). Since Fed Reserve Police officers do primarily physical security work your current age may not be a problem for hiring. Only way to find out for sure is contact the FRB and inquire about their police hiring.
    Last edited by Kimble; 02-07-2011, 06:45 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

I'm sure your aware but the Fed Reserve is not part of the Federal Government (Lewis vs. U.S., 680 F. 2d 1239, 1241) They are a private corporation that get their police powers from statute like Amtrak Police, Railroad Police, and so on. The retirement plan is the Federal Reserve System Retirement Plan and they also have the Federal Reserve System Thrift Plan. My understanding is neither plan is a federal retirement plan but is actually a private corporation plan. There has been debate for years over the fed being part of the government or not but that was put to rest in Lewis Vs. U.S. when it was found to be a private corporation. This gets all the more confusing because congress actually created the fed, crazy huh? Anyway, The retirement is vested after 5 years with and you can retire as early as age 55. Each branch operates their police in a different manner. Make sure to find out how your branch treats their police, do they get off duty carry (perps shoot at anything in uniform).
      Last edited by DDixon1000; 02-08-2011, 08:15 AM.

Comment

@Jim1648
        I used to used to be an FRLEO before getting picked up by the Marshal's. The FED is not a federal LE position and it is not a traditional LE job either.If you are hired you are pretty much a bank employee. Your duties are primarily the protection of bank property and its assets. As the previous poster stated how you are treated generally depends on what branch you work for. The Fed is not a covered postion nor will your time as a FED LE or military count towards pay or retirement and you will still have to got to the academy. Which is not at FLETC, but the curriculum is FLETC accredited and the Instructors for the most part are certified by FLETC. I went to the academy in Atlanta.

As far as retirement goes the bank has a pretty good retirement plan TSP which I think they will match 80% your first five yrs and dollar for dollar after that. The FED also has PCO (portable cash option) in which you are fully vested in after five years. This is what the bank automatically pays into your retirement. When I left it was aroound 13g's. Far as retirement goes the bank has something called "RULE of 80" which means your age plus the number of years you worked must total 80 in order to get full retirement benefits. So the older you are when hired the better off you will be.

The Fed is a good retirement gig, but if you are looking for high speed kicking in doors and chasing the bad guy, ithis ain't the job, you will get pretty good training, but don't expect to be able to carry your firearm or wear your uniform home or off duty. Unless you are hired in the New York Fed, i think they are cross designated with NYPD.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimble View Post
          They have a regular non-LE Federal Employees Retirement System pension (which I believe requires at least 25 years to retire).
          I stand corrected on the above portion, didn't realize the Federal Reserve was a non-USG agency like Amtrak. Interesting.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by xbull View Post
            but don't expect to be able to carry your firearm or wear your uniform home or off duty.
            Fed Reserve Cops got included on the last HR to update HR218...... They are now allowed to carry off-duty ber US Federal Statute......

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/...mp/~c111z3eyUM::

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
              Fed Reserve Cops got included on the last HR to update HR218...... They are now allowed to carry off-duty ber US Federal Statute......

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/...mp/~c111z3eyUM::
              Depends on the District you're working in. If it is bank policy not to carry off duty you're not. At most of the districts you turn in your weapon at the end of the shift, and you are considered off duty. The Federal Reserve is a completly different animal all together. As i said earlier you are not a Gov't employee you are a private employee of the bank. You do have your normal rank structure, LEO, CPL, SGT, SSGT, LT, Chief, and the Law Enforcement manager who is typically a banker. And the law enforcement unit is just another of the depts he or she is responsible for inside of the bank.

The Federal Reserve Police is fairly new, prior to 9-11 they were security gaurds but provisions in the Patriot Act gave them the authority to enforce violations of Federal law on Bank property and at the end of your shift you're pretty much considered a civillian again. Pretty much after 9-11 the Gov't saw that the Fed is a possible target so they said to each of the 12 districts hey we are giving you guys law enforcemnet authority you, fund it , and run it the way you want its your baby.

As I said earlier its a good retirement gig, they pay is very good for the amount of work you do, 13% shift differential for swing and night shifts, tuition reimbursement. But if you want to do traditonal police work and some high speed action its not the place.

Comment

Yeah there is nothing Federal about the Federal Reserve police and bank, it's funny but a lot of people don't know this. These are the people who run our country and are f€£¥ing it up! I have met some od there agents most are ex usss agents. It seems to be a great gig

Comment

Originally posted by FEDRC View Post
                  Yeah there is nothing Federal about the Federal Reserve police and bank, it's funny but a lot of people don't know this. These are the people who run our country and are f€£¥ing it up! I have met some od there agents most are ex usss agents. It seems to be a great gig
                  Now if you work for the Board Of Governers up in D.C , thats where the Chairman, Ben Bernake works that's Federal.

Comment

Depends on the District you're working in. If it is bank policy not to carry off duty you're not. At most of the districts you turn in your weapon at the end of the shift, and you are considered off duty. The Federal Reserve is a completly different animal all together.
                    Even with the new Federal Law in place....??? Wow....

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                      Even with the new Federal Law in place....??? Wow....
                      Yeah, it is crazy. It was very frustrating for me to work there, even though I enjoyed the people I worked with, but if you want something more it was not the place. We had to turn in our weapons at the armory at the end of shift and could not wear our uniforms home. As far as the Fed law goes , as I said in my previous post the Patriot Act gave the Fed the authority to give its protection officer Law enforcement authority, and pretty much handed over the responsiblities to the Districts to run the respective Law Enforcement Units. When I left they were trying to go "Functional" in other words trying to have a standardized way of doing things across the district, but in my opinion it was still messes up because operations in Miami are Different from those in Jacksonvile.

I worked there for about 5 yrs , it wasnt bad for the work we did, however, it was'nt for me. So when I got the call to go the academy, I got my final offer on a friday, I turned in my resignation on Monday, and was gone on Tuesday.

Comment

We had to turn in our weapons at the armory

That I wouldn't mind because I think the VA does the same thing.....BUT....the VA allows folks to carry off-duty.

I know 4-5 guys back home (KC) that were Part-Time Officers in small towns outside KC but worked for the Fed Reserve a while back. They carried the Local Commission so they could carry off-duty. I haven't talked to them since the new bill got passed... Wonder what they are doing....

Interesting.....

Comment

They are hiring a Criminal Investigator right now. Not sure if it is a federal 1811 type position or not but here is the link.

http://www.federalreserve.gov/career...h/default.aspx
                          The only thing I hear when you say anything is "blah blah blah I'm a dirty whore".

Originally posted by Michigan
                          I don't want to sound gay...

But I'd do him.
                          Do you like airplanes and aviation??JOIN http://forums.officer.com/forums/group.php?groupid=20

My goal is to have the longest most annoying signature line ever.

Comment

Just curious with them being in the situation they are in do they pay decent?, are there step increases and so on?

Comment

Originally posted by DDixon1000 View Post
                              Just curious with them being in the situation they are in do they pay decent?, are there step increases and so on?
                              For what you do the pay is pretty decent. You get a 13% shift differential for swing and night shift, they are pretty much doing away with overtime, of course that's just about everywhere. The FED does not have step increases but they have some something called MBZ or Market Based Zone in which they do a survey to see what the other agencies pay in the area and see if they are comparable and will try to bring it up to par. You will get you cost of living increases every year i forget what the % was and they do offer cash awards at the end of the year for being a top performer like getting the "TOP COP" award or if you are on the pistol team and win the shooting competion.
                              The TSP and PCO retirement programs are top notch.

When Katrina hit a cople of us went down to the to New Orleans to support the FED down there, I think they gave us $350.00 cash award for going down there. When I started with the FEd in 2005 I was making about 28k when I left in 2010 I was at about 45k. I took about a 3k hit coming over with my new agency , but I'll more than double that salary in a few years.

But you are right the FED is in trouble right now, the nature of banking is starting to change, the FED has let go entire depts because of the economy and technology. As I stated earler FRLEO's main duty is the protection of bank property and its assets. If there are no people or assets to protect........:-{

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12117 users online. 507 members and 11610 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X