X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transportation Security Inspector???

http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/search....Emp=N&FedPub=Y

Gents,

Does anyone have any experience here? Does the position require you to carry a firearm? Schedules? For the most part the description is pretty detailed, I just don't understand the difference between "Aviation" and "Cargo".
    Thanks in advance!

I did this job for about 6 years before I left to go to the private sector. It is an 1801 Series position, but not law enforcement and not armed. You will be doing inspections of regulated aviation entities and enforcing civil compliance with the Code of Federal Regulations. Schedules vary based on the size of the airport, but be prepared to be flexible, as with any Fed security/LE job. Plenty of collateral opportunities such as undercover testing and VIPR missions if you are selected. The K9 spot is one of the most desired roles in their ranks other than becoming an Assistant Federal Security Director. Any questions other than SSI, you can PM me. Good luck, it is a very rewarding job.

Comment

Originally posted by Yingxiong View Post
      I did this job for about 6 years before I left to go to the private sector. It is an 1801 Series position, but not law enforcement and not armed. You will be doing inspections of regulated aviation entities and enforcing civil compliance with the Code of Federal Regulations. Schedules vary based on the size of the airport, but be prepared to be flexible, as with any Fed security/LE job. Plenty of collateral opportunities such as undercover testing and VIPR missions if you are selected. The K9 spot is one of the most desired roles in their ranks other than becoming an Assistant Federal Security Director. Any questions other than SSI, you can PM me. Good luck, it is a very rewarding job.
      So if you worked your way into this VIPR or undercover or K9 position, wouldn't you then wind up going to FLETC and so forth and wind up with a firearm and more law enforcement? I understand what you're saying about the specific position listed in this mass vacancy announcement. I'm just trying to get familiar with the other similar positions out there that you speak of...

Comment

Originally posted by Robbcat View Post
        http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/search....Emp=N&FedPub=Y

Gents,

Does anyone have any experience here? Does the position require you to carry a firearm? Schedules? For the most part the description is pretty detailed, I just don't understand the difference between "Aviation" and "Cargo".
        Thanks in advance!
        Lots of good info. here:

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...750&viewfull=1

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by AgentOrange View Post
          So if you worked your way into this VIPR or undercover or K9 position, wouldn't you then wind up going to FLETC and so forth and wind up with a firearm and more law enforcement? I understand what you're saying about the specific position listed in this mass vacancy announcement. I'm just trying to get familiar with the other similar positions out there that you speak of...
          there have been talk in the past about arming TSI. As of now, it is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by AgentOrange View Post
            The VIPRs are missions (advertised on TSA's public website) not a position. The K9 is a specialty for the TSI, much like Surface, Cargo, or Aviation. TSIs do not go to FLETC for their "academy"...at least they didn't as of last year. Some people use this as a stepping stone into FLE, but not all.

Comment

Does the position require you to carry a firearm?
              No firearm. It's a 1801 Non-LEO Inspector position. You go to OK City to their Academy to learn how to do the job.....

"Aviation"
              As in Commerical Aviation....aka United, US Air, Continental, etc..... You inspect them ....

"Cargo"
              FedEx, DHL, UPS, etc...... You inspect them.....

Comment

It's basically a code enforcement job, making sure whatever specialization (cargo, railways, aviation, etc) area you oversee is following the appropriate regulations (ie, are the airlines following the correct protocol to make sure all their cargo is being screened, are private airports following mandated badging and security protocols, etc.)

Comment

Thanks for the summation and clarification on this. I've never been too sure exactly how much they did...

Comment

i know that K9 gets a take home car, but does standard TSI staff receive one also?

Comment

it varies from office to office.

Comment

Originally posted by nordy racer View Post
                        i know that K9 gets a take home car, but does standard TSI staff receive one also?
                        K-9 is the only ones that get take homes out here....

Comment

Originally posted by nordy racer View Post
                          I don't know of any non-K9 with a take home car.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9432 users online. 362 members and 9070 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X