300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to get in the ICE

I am currently in college I really want to get into the ICE or DEA. I was planning on getting a Bachelors in Criminal Justice but after reading through numerous posts it seems that it is not a good decision. Out of curiosity is the training for the ICE, and DEA similar to military basic training. You live in a barracks for the duration of the training with no contact to family besides the letters you can write in your spare time, or are they more lenient and allow you time to be with your family on weekends?

Dude you need to do a little research on this forum. The forum nazis will bite your head off for asking this.

Comment

If I have posted this in the wrong forum or if this will cause a problem please say so and I will delete it immediately. I have researched and have came up with zero answers to this specific question. But I do not want to cause problems and will delete this if need be.

Comment

Originally posted by tluster View Post
        I am currently in college I really want to get into the ICE or DEA. I was planning on getting a Bachelors in Criminal Justice but after reading through numerous posts it seems that it is not a good decision. Out of curiosity is the training for the ICE, and DEA similar to military basic training. You live in a barracks for the duration of the training with no contact to family besides the letters you can write in your spare time, or are they more lenient and allow you time to be with your family on weekends?
        It's more like the later. You should check out the ICE and or DEA threads to find more answers. I suggest you read through the posts before you ask questions.

Comment

this thread makes me feel the funnies

Comment

............................................______ __
            ....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
            .............................,.-"..................................."-.,
            .........................,/...............................................":,
            .....................,?........................... ...........................\,
            .................../.................................................. .........,}
            ................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}
            .............../.................................................. .,:"........./
            ..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../
            ............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
            .........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`..... ..._/
            ..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
            ...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
            ...,,,___.\`~,......"~.,....................`..... }............../
            ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
            ............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
            .............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
            ,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|........... ...`=~-,
            .....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
            ...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
            ................................`:,,.............. .............`\..............__
            .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
            ........................................_\........ ..._,-%.......`\
            ...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`
            CBP Officer
            Initial Application: 11/16/10
            Test Exam: 12/13/10
            Notice of Results: 1/25/11 (GS-07: 92)
            New Geography (SWB): 9/14/11
            Tentative Offer: 9/29/11
            Medical/PFT1: 10/25/11

Comment

Why not start your research (after all, federal agents spend a lot of time doing research during their investigations) with an already active ICE thread: http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...25#post2637825

No need to start a whole new thread when there's already a venue available.
              sigpic

Comment

This is what I hate about these law enforcement forums. You get a guy who is unfamiliar with the process and you guys are more apt to rip on him than help him. To the original poster - it is not like basic training. You will have most evenings to yourself although these will typically be spent studying for exams. You're free to call your family as much as you want on your off hours. You will stay in dorms for the duration of your training. Most academies are around 20 weeks long. You most likely will not see your family unless you intend to move them and find rental housing somewhere near the academy.

Stay away from criminal justice. Its about as helpful as a degree in basket weaving. In general, I think this applies to most bachelor of arts degrees. Hard science degrees are much more valuable in life. But, those are just my thoughts. I don't know how far along in school you are but you should choose your major with a back up plan in mind. Never bank entirely on landing a federal law enforcement job. Especially not on one or two agencies. Hiring is unpredictable and some factors are completely beyond your control - medical exams, polygraph, etc.
                Last edited by hiremealready; 01-28-2011, 04:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hiremealready View Post
                  This is what I hate about these law enforcement forums. You get a guy who is unfamiliar with the process and you guys are more apt to rip on him than help him.
                  In his case, it's called DAFS (acronym for "Do a f*cking search"). If he had researched his question on these forums before posting, perhaps he could have found his answer instead of wasting the time of everyone else. At the very least, he should have made it clear in his OP that he DID do some research.

I will say one thing in his defense: the search engine on this website, from my experience, is atrocious at picking up on entire phrases (IE TSA to CBP, TSA lateral CBP, etc.).
                  CBP Officer
                  Initial Application: 11/16/10
                  Test Exam: 12/13/10
                  Notice of Results: 1/25/11 (GS-07: 92)
                  New Geography (SWB): 9/14/11
                  Tentative Offer: 9/29/11
                  Medical/PFT1: 10/25/11

Comment

for future reference simply say something such as "I want to be part of ICE" not "Want to get in the ICE" not trying to be a ****** but a little grammar goes a long way

Comment

Originally posted by Investigator 26
                      Before you go preaching to us maybe you should make sure the information you are giving out is correct. I see two glaring issues with the things you told the OP. Maybe once you change your handle from hiremealready to igothiredandamanagent you will be qualified to give advice on the subject.
                      If you see something inaccurate feel free to share with everyone.
                      Last edited by hiremealready; 01-29-2011, 03:45 AM.

Comment

this thread continues to give me the funnies

Comment

There is nothing wrong with a criminal justice degree. Many of my coworkers have one. In fact at my agency it is seen as a positive for promotions. Just keep in mind that unless it is coupled with a clean background, and some internship, volunteer, or practical work experience, it will be difficult to stand above other candidates. My major wasn't in CJ, but working for a couple years as a Reserve Deputy Sheriff helped me gain practical experience.
                          What is Perseverance?
                          -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                          -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                          -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3868 users online. 170 members and 3698 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X